Innovative Marine Aquariums

Simon2629's Solana 34g

simon2629

Hi, there. After few month saving (I even quit smoke), finally my Solana is here. I got few good deal, so it's much better than order on other site - many thanks to "ATSIRHC" for your disco ball, great deal and fast shipping!

I'm new to the hobby, had a 38 gallon AIO and have a 12 gallon DX, always want a real nice piece for my living room, after some research and thank for those NR member who gave me many good advices, I decided to buy a Solana. Love the design, not only a aquarium but also a cool piece furniture too.

I bought the tank from "craigslist", brand new, nice deal, then light from "Atsirhc", was trying to make the stand myself but really don't have time due to the busy working schedule, found a used one local with broken glass, it's really nicely built, not like BC stand, it's heavy and made of real wood (I think). The only draw back is the glass came broken, I have to pay 35.00 to order a new one (I'll replace it with frosted glass any way)

Used my LS from my 34 AIO (just sold, put sand in a buss tub with heat and powerhead, should still alive)

post-42491-1236231048_thumb.jpg

Bought these LR with nice purple color, nice guy also give bunch of cheato post-42491-1236231062_thumb.jpg

Use sump fill water, 60% of water is from my 34G to boost circle

post-42491-1236231068_thumb.jpg

post-42491-1236231073_thumb.jpg

took 2 hours to fill up

post-42491-1236231082_thumb.jpg

post-42491-1236231087_thumb.jpg

post-42491-1236231092_thumb.jpg

bought 2 plant with LR, don't know the name, but look cute

post-42491-1236231099_thumb.jpg

post-42491-1236231106_thumb.jpg

will move some inverts from my 12DX tomorrow night, Will probably sell the 12DX after move everything

post-42491-1236231111_thumb.jpg

BTW, the guy who sold me the LR also gonna sell me a pair of breeding B/W clown fish. I'll need to find my clown fish a new home.

post-42491-1236231116_thumb.jpg

post-42491-1236231056_thumb.jpg

Just bought a "GRUVA" light from IKEA for the fuge, 8 watt? something like that, hope it'll does the job.

post-42491-1236312189_thumb.jpg

post-42491-1236312158_thumb.jpg

post-42491-1236312163_thumb.jpg

PH is kind of low, 7.5, is there nature way to boost it up beside dose?

do i need more cheato or it's ok?

southstar066

Welcome to the solana club. Great set up, love the fuge light. Can't wait to see more pics when you get coral in it

Welcome to the solana club. Great set up, love the fuge light. Can't wait to see more pics when you get coral in it

Thank you. During the past few days, I notice that evaporation for this tank is crazy, I have to fill up like 6 stock top-off bottle every day, some times more. Is that much normal for the open top tank? Thanks

TriggerHappyDude
Thank you. During the past few days, I notice that evaporation for this tank is crazy, I have to fill up like 6 stock top-off bottle every day, some times more. Is that much normal for the open top tank? Thanks

Yeah I'm looking into ATO solutions myself, but I don't even have water in mine tank yet!

I just know, from reading others, that its probably needed.

You should look at the Tunze Osmolator, hear its a great ATO for our Solana tank, in the 3rd chamber.

Yeah I'm looking into ATO solutions myself, but I don't even have water in mine tank yet!

I just know, from reading others, that its probably needed.

Hi, how do you like your RKE? I wanted it but thought it's little over kill, get a RKL3 comming next week, please let me know, maybe I'll change to RKE too.

TriggerHappyDude
Hi, how do you like your RKE? I wanted it but thought it's little over kill, get a RKL3 comming next week, please let me know, maybe I'll change to RKE too.

Ha, there you go an RKL3 is a great tool for the ATO! You can buy the switches for pretty cheap at www.atuotopoff.com and have the RKL3 control it! Away you go.

I haven't bought the RKE yet, I'm still debating on the RKE vs RKL3. I'm sold on the RKE and its future proof limitless options and NET module, but its hard to throw $600 at it. I'm close though. And my first module will be an ATO!

I was hoping you could convince me I was doing the OVERKILL with the RKE and to get the RKL3?

I was hoping you could convince me I was doing the OVERKILL with the RKE and to get the RKL3?

LOL. I just found RKL3 at marinedepot, yup, 600 is too much. For ATO controlling, I'm really comfused about how to use RKL3 to control ATO, can you explain? Thank you.

TriggerHappyDude
LOL. I just found RKL3 at marinedepot, yup, 600 is too much. For ATO controlling, I'm really comfused about how to use RKL3 to control ATO, can you explain? Thank you.

You'll need a couple things... First, you'll need a float switch. Second, you'll need a pump setup to add the type of solution you want to top off with, usually just RO/DI water. Third, you'll need the switch adapter kit to interface the float switch with the RKL system. Then all that's left is to program the unit.

As for the ATO equipment portion other than the RKL3...

Goto the Misc. page of autotopoff.com and build your own double since you already have the RKL3.

Upper Float Switch: $11

Lower Float Switch: $12

Bracket: $6.00

Snail Guard (if desired) $1.50

Total for a double switch $30.50.. or under $20 if you don't want a double. The $50-$55 assembled version autotopoff.com sell's has some features you don't need (break out box with power socket) since the RKL3 will accept the switches bare wires and control a specific channel on the PC4 based off your programming of these sensors.

I am not trying to sway your decission in either direction and I have no expeience to speak of yet as I have only just ordered my switches from autotopoff.com.

post-42491-1236522524_thumb.jpg

post-42491-1236522543_thumb.jpg

the pineapple still not open.....

post-42491-1236522564_thumb.jpg

post-42491-1236522600_thumb.jpg

Don't know this one :huh:

post-42491-1236522612_thumb.jpg

post-42491-1236522735_thumb.jpg

I'm using Solana stock protein skimmer, so far it's good for me, here is the collection cup and that's how high I set the it.

post-42491-1236528204_thumb.jpg

post-42491-1236522583_thumb.jpg

Most people are taking the bio-balls out - you left them in for a reason? I'd like to know it.

Tank's lookin good.

Osric

well, I did took all the bio-balls and carbon in the middle chamber, but since the fuge is young I decide to keep little amount in skimmer and will take them out later.

the glass door finally come today, and the RKL3 is comming next Tuesday, I'll put pic then.

All the livestock looking fine, so far for CUC I have: 15 astrea snails, 10 cerith snails, 20 blue leg hermit crab, 1 sand star, 1elegant seastar, 2 cleaner shrimp, 5 pepper mint shrimp. Fish: 1 flame angel, 2 clown fish, 1 6 line and a lawn mower blenny.

My stock pump (Jebao) just broke this morning!! I was changing water (every thing turned off), and when I turn them back on, the return pump is not working !!!! Turn off and on again, nothing happened.

Should replace it at begining, my friend who has solana told me his "Jebao" broke in 3 month (mine is only 1 month).

Now I'm considering Mag500 for the replacement, is it too big? I'm planing introduce SPS and clam to my tank in the furure.

TriggerHappyDude
My stock pump (Jebao) just broke this morning!! I was changing water (every thing turned off), and when I turn them back on, the return pump is not working !!!! Turn off and on again, nothing happened.

Should replace it at begining, my friend who has solana told me his "Jebao" broke in 3 month (mine is only 1 month).

Now I'm considering Mag500 for the replacement, is it too big? I'm planing introduce SPS and clam to my tank in the furure.

Great, I have to purchase another item! This stock stuff is just bad huh? I replaced the skimmer due to noise issues and performance complaints. Now this. What would be a good return pump? I'm curious too!

I'm using Solana stock protein skimmer, so far it's good for me, here is the collection cup and that's how high I set the it.

post-42491-1236528204_thumb.jpg

I am also using the stock skimmer and it seems to work great. I would like to know why you moved the rubber for how high you set it? LOL I didnt even know what it was for in the first place.. BUT what I have in it is some nice dark skim water and slime. Just curious if I raise it will it work better? Thank you

... BUT what I have in it is some nice dark skim water and slime. Just curious if I raise it will it work better?

So I'm interested in what's optimal too. I have read that you should get 1c of coffee coloured skimmate a day. When I set mine to get a nice dark colour, I get less than that out each day - if I set it high like this, it's too watery. So ... some expert advice would be great.

Osric

So I'm interested in what's optimal too. I have read that you should get 1c of coffee coloured skimmate a day. When I set mine to get a nice dark colour, I get less than that out each day - if I set it high like this, it's too watery. So ... some expert advice would be great.

Osric

The color,and amount you pull is going to depend a lot on how heavy of a bio-load you have in the tank.

Archived