Cultivated Reef

Becact's Biocube 14 Reef

becact

Hi!

I am new to this hobby, and loving it! I am learning tons of new info every day thanks to this forum, so wanted to show off what I've done so far and keep a photo log that I can update whenever I get some new additions to the tank.

I started with the Biocube 14, a popular choice. I have upgraded it with a Maxi-Jet 900 return pump, a Koralia Nano, a 50 watt Stealth heater, and a 70 watt Sunpod metal halide. I run a bag of carbon in the bottom of the 2nd chamber, stuffed up against the vent into the 3rd chamber where the pump is, and on top of the carbon I run chaeto, lit by a 10 watt underwater pond light running opposite my main lights.

I change about 2 gallons of water weekly, and use Instant Ocean as my salt. My parameters at the moment are:

Temp: ~79F

Salinity: 1.025

pH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Phosphate: 0

KH: 9-10

Calcium: 400

I purchased my live rock already cured, and was given water from the established tanks at my LFS. This helped to drastically reduce or eliminate my initial cycle. I had some brown diatoms for about a week, but seem to be past them for the most part.

So let's get on with the log!

2/07/2009: First got my tank, water, rock, and sand. The water is a little cloudy here, I was anxious to take some pics :)

Firstnight1.jpg

Firstnight3.jpg

2/11/2009: Got my clean up crew; 5 margaritas, 4 hermits, and a cleaner shrimp.

tank1wk2.jpg

tank1wk.jpg

2/14/2009: Added my first frags. 3 zoa colonies and 2 ricordia floridas.

Feb1409-2.jpg

Feb1409-1.jpg

Feb1509-3.jpg

Feb1509-2.jpg

Feb1509-1.jpg

Under actinics:

Feb1509-5.jpg

2/23/2009: Added an acan colony, an encrusting goniporia (I think? the light blue one), a single zoa head, and a shroom. Also I got a new stand for it and moved it to the living room.

Feb2309-3.jpg

Feb2309-5.jpg

Feb2309-2.jpg

Feb2309-4.jpg

Feb2309-1.jpg

3/01/2009: Added an orange monti cap, a purple monti cap, and two new frags of zoas. Also one or two days previous to this I added 2 clownfish and 6 astrea snails.

Mar0109-1.jpg

Mar0109-2.jpg

Mar0109-3.jpg

Mar0109-5.jpg

Mar0109-4.jpg

Hope you guys like it! I know I am moving quickly, but I am doing a lot of research along the way and paying extra attention to keep my water stable. I test about twice a week and top off water once or twice daily. I also use RO/DI for everything from top offs to cleaning out the test tubes after tests. I monitor my temperature with a Coralife digital, a digital cooking thermometer, and an alcohol thermometer. I also temperature match the top off or change water to the tank water, and mix the change water with my stock return pump overnight.

I'd appreciate any comments!

You are really moving along with additions to that tank. It looks good though. I hope you don't have any problems because it looks like you'll have a wonderful little reef soon enough. ;)

Thanks guys! :D

The new frags are doing well, Mitch! I am trying a cheap frag of Acro now to see how it does.

I'm going to update some more pics later tonight. Added some more stuff.

Got some more frags, but I'm afraid I'm running out of room! I figure one or two more SPS on top, and maybe one really nice chalice frag, and I'll be done seeding this tank :)

New:

-Tricolor Acro

-Birdsnest

-Chalice (alien eye?)

-Blue w/ Orange Ricordia

-Green zoos

-rock chip with orange and green zoos

-some really nice pink/green zoos

-"Whamin' Watermelon" zoos

-Frogspawn

-2 nass snails

-Maxima clam!

I know it is generally considered early to get a clam, but the LFS gave me a great deal on it, and I am prepared to give it away if it does not do well. I placed it about half tank and it jumped down overnight, so it seems to like the bottom for now. I may try moving it up after a week or two, but it has already attached to the rock it is next to. It is beautiful, though. Bright purple when seen from the front, and teal when viewed through the top of the water (pumps off). I'll get that photo next time :).

I also redid my flow, so that everything is getting an appropriate level of flow. I remounted the monti caps so that they are a bit more horizontal to get more light, as well.

My levels are all good, except my calcium which tested 370. This was right before a water change, though. My API kit at home tested 400, and the LFS's Salifert test gave me the 370, so I'm not quite sure where its really at.

Other levels:

Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate: 0

Phosphate: 0

Alk: 8-9

pH-8.2

Salinity: 1.026

Calc: 370-400

I just changed my water and cleaned the tank a bit before these photos, so don't mind the few closed zoos. They are normally open!

Mar0709-1.jpg

Mar0709-2.jpg

Mar0709-3.jpg

Mar0709-4.jpg

Mar0709-5.jpg

Mar0709-6.jpg

Mar0709-7.jpg

What do you guys think?

Looks good, remember to have self discipline and be patient or it will end badly. As for the clam, it should really be up in the rockwork. I fear though that its probably permanently attached to the rock it is next to. Hopefully that is not the case.

The clam actually moved up on its own and is now attached in a crevice on one of the rocks. He is doing great! (knock on wood). I got him for a great deal, and am prepared to give it away if it doesn't do well.

I am actually finished stocking my tank, except for one super nice centerpiece frag I am picking up tomorrow (I will update then or a few days after). So now I can just sit back and watch it grow :). I am still testing my parameters quite often, and besides some sightly low calcium levels (350), everything is doing great! I picked up some liquid calcium and a 2 part solution, and will begin dosing that as soon as the LFS gets a salifert Alk test in stock.

It's only been 5 weeks, but remember that I didn't have much of an initial cycle. Corals don't really add much if any bioload, so adding a lot at the same time shouldn't make an impact. For what its worth, the LFS (a well known coral dealer) set their display Biocube 14 up pretty much in one day, fully stocking it and everything, and it is also doing great.

But thanks for the kind thoughts! I hope it does well, also! I'll keep updating this thread as it is warranted, of course :)

My new, and one of my last, frags. Saved the best for last!

Mar1509-1.jpg

Fragged directly off the original Bubblegum Monster mother colony at World Wide Corals (where I got most of my corals)! I love this frag, the photos do it no justice at all. The pink eye is fluorescent even under my 14k bulb, the mother colony looks insane under the lighting in WWC's display tank (normal actinic supplementation and tons of powerbrite actinic LEDs).

Here's a shot showing where the clam moved (he is behind the green ric). He moved there overnight by himself! Weird...

Mar1509-2.jpg

I just wanted to update with some before and after shots to show the growth in my tank. First, though, I got these two freebie frags, a millepora and a bali tricolor acro. I'm hoping the millepora will color up, it is brown right now. The Bali broke in half while handling it, so I glued both frags to my plug. Hoping it will recover.

Mar2009-3.jpg

And here are the before and after shots :)

March 07:

Mar0709-3.jpg

March 20:

Mar2009-1.jpg

Both the frogspawn and ric have grown a bit! The frogspawn is really doing well.

March 01:

Mar0109-4.jpg

March 20:

Mar2009-2.jpg

The green and purple zoos are getting larger, and there are more heads now.

Feb 15:

Feb1509-1.jpg

March 20:

Mar2009-4.jpg

The zoos are starting to grow out onto the rock now. Cool! I think they look so different because the first shot is PCs, the second is MH.

Feb 15:

Feb1509-2.jpg

March 20:

Mar2009-5.jpg

Not from the same angle, I know. These zoos with the orange dot in the middle started as a small sphere, and now are starting to grow out onto the rock. They look really healthy!

March 20:

Mar2009-6.jpg

No before shot on this one, but this shroom is really big now! Also in this photo you can see where to clam moved to. He's also doing well.

Looks like everything is doing good overall. I really want to upgrade my lighting to LEDs, but need to sell some of my motorcycle gear first (no bike, the gear is leftover).

I noticed on some of these shots that the hairs on the zoas are getting longer. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Why would they do that?

Reef Lobster

Great looking tank! I'm interested in setting up a BC14 similar to yours so it's great to see your progress log. Your frags are fantastic! You're lucky to have WWC so close to you! Good luck with everything, look forward to seeing everything come together :)

a latest tank shot:

Mar3009-1.jpg

i just bought a 90g, so the 14 will be broken down soon! But it will live on in the 90 ;) Look for a build thread soon.

• 1 month later...
jdantunes

Wow, your tank looks incredible!

This has been in only a couple of months? again incredible! :o

I'm new at this, I set my BC14 for over a week now, I'm going pretty slow, but I will love to gain the knowledge you have and scape something similar. For how long you been in this hobby? do you read other info outside of the net? Any good advice...

Thanks for the compliment!

My first post in this thread was a day or two after I got the tank, and I didn't have any prior experience. I do spend a lot of time reading both here and on RC, but don't read any off the net stuff, besides chatting with the LFS personnel. I've really learned a lot! Luckily WWC gives pretty good advice so that got me through the first week or two.

If I were continuing with the biocube, the one thing I'd change would be to add more flow. The upgraded pump and koralia are OK, but the colors on my more difficult SPS like the acro are fading, and I think it is from not enough flow. I'd also get a skimmer, and a 150w halide (I was looking at the current sundial HQI). The clam is fine as are most of the other things, but more light is better! Also, be sure to dose a two part. My coraline only started growing after I started dosing.

Be sure to get nice porous rock, and the scape will come to you! :)

Archived