Coral Vue Hydros

Emilio84's Aquapod 24 HQI with 10g Sump/Fuge

Emilio84

Ok. So originally I made a post in the AIO section of the forum but I deleted that and am starting fresh here.

The tank I bought was off ebay. It is an aquapod 24 HQI setup with the 70w MH Sunpod. It also came with the following:

Tank/Light/glass top

Stand - thrown in but I'll take it.. might need new floor due to sump overflows

~20lbs of LR

Live Sand

3 Powerheads - Look to be aquaclears

3 Heaters

10g Sump with bubbletrap, macroalgea, live rock, sandbed

Full Length Aqua Gloves (heh)

Hanging Kit for sunpod

Some Crushed Coral

Salt Mix

Aqualite Digital Power Center

Pump/Tubing for mixing salt/water changes

Fission Nano Protein Skimmer (they said they used it once didn't like it and tookit out.. looks like junk)

API Master Reef Test Kit

Grab Stick

Coralife compact flourescent Light for sump (2x 9w 6700)

Digital Thermometer

Hydrometer

Pictures from the previous owner:

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

Ok.. so things I noticed from the start.

1. Plumbing looks a bit messy. Going to have to see if I can reduce some of the clutter. Might pick up some locline for the return flow.

2. The fuge has a bubble trap...but they put sand between the baffles and in the one pump chamber making it basically one large fuge and the bubble trap useless. I will remove the sand from those areas.

3. Everything is covered in what I assume is coraline. I plan on doing vinegar/water soaks for the powerheads, heaters, pumps, etc.

4. I am contemplating removing the false wall since the tank has an overflow/fuge set up.

5. I was told that the fuge can overflow during a power loss. This leads me to believe they didn't create vacuum breaks in the return line. Whats a good remedy for this? What about a check valve?

6. The fuge top will be replaced with two acrylic strips to hold up the light.

7. The sand looks grungy. I am contemplating removing and replacing it with some non-live sand or just getting Live sand and starting fresh

8. The rock looks like its got a lot of coraline (more than I usually see). Is this coraline or something else? Should I nuke the rock and start over? Most likely want to buy some extra rock.. Suggestions?

8. 70watts is enough for now but I do plan on upgrading eventually. On the bright side (pun intended) the 70w Sunpods seem to be in demand these days since they are no longer made.

In preperation for picking up and moving the tank I am going to mix up some water. I am most likely going to take advantage of that sale on Reef Crystals and while doing so pick up a salt water master kit, refractometer, and anything else that you guys/gals might suggest.

Should I get some sand while I am at it? What is the reccomended brand/type? Do I need different sand for the fuge?

I am on two sides of the fence with this project.

One side says

- buy salt locally

- mix up some make up water

- go pick everything up

- preserve as much water as possible

- set it back up as is.

- see what happens

The other side says

- Buy salt/refractometer/sand from DRFS

- Make enough water to start system fresh

- go pick everything up

- take a solid inventory

- trade/give the livestock away (3 fish, snails, and hermits)

- clean everything up (vinegar soak the entire system basically).

- toss the sand

- put the rock in holding bucket with fresh water, powerhead, heater and let stew/decide to keep or toss

- Make any system changes

- new sand, new/more rock, new macroalgea for fuge

So basically run the system as is or start totally fresh?

I think if you set it up back to how it was, you won't have a personal satisfaction of doing it, plus with the way you broke down your sides, it seems you want to start fresh because you have more reason to.

Take a day off from work and get on it :P

I think if you set it up back to how it was, you won't have a personal satisfaction of doing it, plus with the way you broke down your sides, it seems you want to start fresh because you have more reason to.

Take a day off from work and get on it :P

I wish I could take a whole day off to do it but next weekend will do just fine. Plus.. more work = more money which means more toys!

I think I am going to do the tear down but keep the rock I have and buy 10 - 20 lbs dry or base rock from premium aquatics ($1.99/lb sale going on now), marco rocks, or bulk reef supply and use my rock to seed it.

Now I just need to figure out what type of rock I have so I can try and get something that looks similar.

Also, is that coraline in the tank/on the rock or cynanobacteria?

I'd take it down and redo it the way you want it. If you want to stop the possibility of an over flow, you can drill the back side of the tank and hard plum your over flow and get rid of the siphon one. I just did that to mine, I'll have pictures up in the next day or so. You can take a look and see what you think of it.

I'd take it down and redo it the way you want it. If you want to stop the possibility of an over flow, you can drill the back side of the tank and hard plum your over flow and get rid of the siphon one. I just did that to mine, I'll have pictures up in the next day or so. You can take a look and see what you think of it.

Sounds good. I am curious to see how you plumbed your system as well.

Ok time to place an order with the drs.

I am getting

- 160g bucket of reef crystals

- refractometer

- Calibration fluid

- API master test kit (SW)

- Sand (not sure which brand/type yet)

My one final question is what substrate should I go with? I know some people use sand from home depot or lowes. Since I have a good amount of live rock I was considering going that route.

Ok so I skipped the sand and test kit for now.

I bought:

160gal bucket of Reef Crystals

Refractometer

Calibration Fluid

Total - $86 shipped

Once I get everything to my place I'll figure out what I am keeping, dumping, selling, and buying then I'll place some more orders. I just wanted to have enough stuff to make up some saltwater to hold my rock and livestock until I get the tank sorted out.

Still not sure if I am going to try and keep the fish/cuc, have a friend hold it, or give/trade them away.

Now to pick up a container to mix up my water in... and a good 20 or so 1gal containers of distilled water. What kind of container should I get? I plan on grabbing 2 5gal buckets but it might be wise to pick up something bigger. What plastics/brands are reef safe and won't leech on me?

Sounds good. I am curious to see how you plumbed your system as well.

I added the pictures of the back of mine to my thread. Also check around before you order. I find that PetSolutions is cheeper than Dr's sometimes.

I added the pictures of the back of mine to my thread. Also check around before you order. I find that PetSolutions is cheeper than Dr's sometimes.

Thanks for the heads up. I just took a peek a little while ago. I may drill my tank and copy your design. I need to find a glass shop to drill for me though as I honestly don't trust myself to do it. Where did you get your bulkheads and fittings? Expect a PM or... 20 from me in the near future!

Are there any good coupons for petsolutions? I saved about $40 going with DrsFS on this order but if I had to buy more stuff I'd have looked around more. $32 for a 160g bucket of Reef Crystals is a steal.. and $5 off ontop of that kept it under $40 shipped. Got the refractometer because I figured I'd be buying one eventually.

I purchased my bulkheads from a local FS. As far as all the pipes and fittings, I usually just go to Lowes, they are close and decent on price. Any glass shop should be able to drill it for you if you don't want to do it. As far as the coupons go, IDK, I just check both places before I order and see who has the best deals. If you sign up for email alerts with Petsolutions, they will send you coupons from time to time.

I purchased my bulkheads from a local FS. As far as all the pipes and fittings, I usually just go to Lowes, they are close and decent on price. Any glass shop should be able to drill it for you if you don't want to do it. As far as the coupons go, IDK, I just check both places before I order and see who has the best deals. If you sign up for email alerts with Petsolutions, they will send you coupons from time to time.

Sounds good. I gave one glass shop around here a call and he said for two 1/2 inch holes it'd be $25 but he wasn't sure if he could get the tank onto his machine so I'd have to swing by with it. I need ot talk to another local shop and see what they say.

On another note I picked up my distilled water to make my saltwater tonight. Grabbed 35 gallons which is more than I need but I figured I'd buy an extra 10% or so just incase. I figure with substrate and rock the system capacity is only in the high 20's or so but that leaves me extra water for water changes and any emergencies.

Thats cool Now I did 1" bulk heads on mine which means you have to drill 1.75" holes for the bulk heads to fit though.

Sounds good. Is 1in the std for tank plumbing? I want to make sure i have enough flow as well as keep my life simple when it comes time to find fittings and such. Also, would it be a bad idea to pull the false wall out and put in a custom acrylic overflow or is that just overkill? I want to do this right and do it once so costs aren't too much of a concern all things considered.

I think the 1" is pretty standard. As far as pulling out the fake wall, I kind of wish I would have pulled mine out, but with where I drilled my holes, I don't want to now. I guess it's just kind of what you want. You can pull it out or you can leave it in.

I think the 1" is pretty standard. As far as pulling out the fake wall, I kind of wish I would have pulled mine out, but with where I drilled my holes, I don't want to now. I guess it's just kind of what you want. You can pull it out or you can leave it in.

If you pulled it out where would you have drilled it? Would you have made some sort of internal overflow? I am thinking of doing either a center acrylic overflow or a corner overflow with the return being on the opposite end with locline so I can direct it where I need it.

Ok.. no pictures just yet but here is an update.

1. Stand is being fixed up and repainted. So far I have removed the fiberboard bottom (totally trashed from water damage) and replaced it with a 1/4in sheet of plywood. Also added 90 deg metal braces to the bottom to make the stand more rigid and two sheets of MDF on the top portion of the back of the cabinet.

The stand will be painted a satin black and the inside will be a high gloss white to keep the ###### from showing too much on the inside.

2. I am ditching the over the rim overflow, sump, false wall, and plumbing and starting fresh. I have a new 10g tank for the sump and a new mag5 pump coming my way for the return. The false wall is out and I will finish cleaning the tank up tonight and will water test it overnight just for posterity's sake as the tank has been up with no issue for 2yrs. I also removed the "blackout" film on the back and sides of the tank.

3. I will be installing www.glass-holes.com internal overflow and return kits as soon as they arrive and will then paint the back of the tank black. I will be going with either a single return line, dual returns on either side of the overflow, or a single return with a "Y" and dual outputs.

4. The mini aqualight for the fuge had cracked end pieces and the lens was broken. A quick trip to Lowes got me a replacement acrylic lens and some pieces of lexan for some new side pieces. I put some black foam onto the inside portion of the lexan to keep it all water tight. It will also get a fresh coat of flat black.

5. I will be utilizing a 2.5g glass tank for an ATO resevoir. It fits nicely into the stand and I have a top for it which I may have trimmed so I can use it to keep evap to a min. Still not sure what ATO i'll use. I am thinking I might try the dual switch kit from www.autotopoff.com with a tom's aqualifter.

6. The sunpod will get a cleaning and I have a new 14k ushio 70w bulb on the way (along with new bulbs for the aqualight).

7. I am still debating if I want to go with an internal powerhead or not. I am thinking I will go with either a single nano or K1, or maybe dual nanos.

8. Also still on the fence about substrates. I am shying away from bagged "live sand" as I really don't know if its worth the money considering the rock I have is from 2 sources and both are well established systems. I was thinking of either getting a bag of dry aragamax, aragamax select, or going with caribsea's live fiji pink. I am estimating I'll need about 30lbs or so to fill the tank and sump.

I plan on making an order this week for:

Ground probe

Stealth heater (i don't run glass heaters in any of my systems)

Live Sand

Powerhead(s)

Nano-mag

Overflow/Return kits

ATO (may hold off)

Removed the false wall yesterday and cleaned the tank up. Noticed a small scratch on the side of the glass but its barely noticable so no biggie really. I am placing my order for the overflow/return kits tonight.

I also plan on getting the first coat of paint onto the stand tonight.

Thanks. Its coming along. A little slower than I had in mind but its coming. Got a replacement Mag5 coming in the mail and I got my new bulbs yesterday. I decided to forgo trying to fix the coralife aqualight and just buy another one since they are only $30 and it would bother me to have an ugly light after spending so much money.

I also modified the intake grill on the sunpod. Put the wire grill on the outside and cut the molded grill out. Quiets the fan down significantly.

Now i just need to decide which overflow kit to buy from glass-holes. The super nano has a 1in drain pipe which I like but it doesn't have teeth which bothers me. I may go with the 700gph overflow. It has teeth and is a little larger. My only grip is that the bulkhead used for that kit is a 1 3/4 one which I think may be too large. What do you think? Also.. should I go with 1/2 or 3/4 in returns?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.. I have my overflow kit, two Koralia 1's, and I bought 30lbs of Aragamax.

The stand got its first coat of paint tonight with the second coat of black going on tonight. I will be painting the inside of the stand with a high gloss white to keep the salt creep from sticking and keeping the sump area cleaner looking and easier to wipe down.

I still haven't decided how to setup the sump. The Tunze 9002 seems like the only skimmer I can fit into my sump/stand since I only have 17in of clearance in the stand before it would hit the drawers. I am still on the fence about the skimmer though. I need to figure out the amount of vertical clearance required to remove the cup first.

Pics soon! I promise!

hopefully this weekend. Only things left to do at this point are drill the tank, take care of the plumbing, and put the sump together. The sump is one of the things really holding me back though. I need to decide on the layout before I can progress. Need to decide if I am going to run a filter sock or figure a way to run filter floss. Also need a place to put purigen..

• 1 month later...

So its been forever. My LR and Shrooms are still sitting in my tub. I have had it stewing in there since I started this thread. Everything seems to be doing well. I've been doing water changes and topping it off as it it was a regular tank (have my sunpod on a 12hr cycle and 2 Koralia 1's for flow. I finally finished the stand and I am going to drill the display tank within the next few days. Also trying to figure out my sump/fuge setup. I need to figure out how and where I am going to put the ATO valves and would appreciate any input.

So since people like pictures here are pictures of the stand and my soon to be sump with Mag5, filter sock, ATO mount, and fuge light.

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

The 2.5g tank will serve as an ATO resevoir.

post-41191-1241497043_thumb.jpg

Archived