Coral Vue Hydros

JimBeam 40 breeder

JimBeam

Well I have had my current tank running for a couple months. Its a 36"x15"x17" and its not reef ready. So I went and bought a true 40 gallon breeder today at Petco. They have all their tanks 20-30% off until the 21st so I got a great deal. I plan on using my existing lighting for the time being and Im going to build a custom stand that is much taller than the one I have now. No more bending over to look in the tank! I plan on adding a 20-30 gallon sump. And this breeder will be drilled and an overflow will be installed. I'm going reefready! And just incase you dont know a 40 gallon breeder is actually 45 gallons.

Here are a couple pictures.....

the sticker $79! thats $20 off the price.

sticker40b.jpg

The tank next to my currently running set up...notice the extra width..

40breedercompared.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here are the 2x4's. I used 6 10ft 2x4's and a box of 2" woodscrews.

I did all this with a cordless ryobi screw gun and circular saw on the back of my truck.

S7300014.jpg

Some progress pics...

S7300015.jpg

S7300016.jpg

S7300017.jpg

S7300018.jpg

and the new tank on the frame next to the old tank. The new stand is 37"tall.

S7300019.jpg

S7300020.jpg

Now I just need to figure out what style of skin I am going to put on the stand and what kind of doors etc.

alls thats left is the floor, doors, and stain. Im staining it ebony black, installing the floor, and building the doors tomorrow. Stand will be done tomorrow and Im going to drill the tank this week sometime. All I need is the acrylic over flow and Im going o have one made here locally. Should have water in it in about 2 weeks.

S7300220.jpg

S7300222.jpg

I'm glad I went back and looked. I thought your stand top was supported only by the shear stress from the screws but I noticed you added braces. Looks like a nice build, can't wait to see it done.

I got the thing stained in Ebony and I painted the inside white. Tomorrow I will be ading the polyurethane.

This picture doesnt do it justice. As the stain gets absorbed it looks better and better.

New pictures will b e coming tomorrow.

stainedstand.jpg

Archived