Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Her Elos Mini with Aquaillumination LED Module

Babyham6

So after SOOOOO much, I finally got it! Thanks for all those who have been tagging along with my adventure but the REAL adventure has just begun.

I finally got the tank up, but it's empty and the sump and plumbing isn't even ready - just sitting in the bottom drawer because my boyfriend and I have a family function with HIS side of hte family... UGH why can't i stay home?!?!?!

Here are some early eye candy. I had to call Jesse because I didn't know how to attach the light to hte mount -_-. I felt so dumb after he told me how. Here it is.

elos2.jpg

elos1.jpg

elos3.jpg

FTS as of February 22nd, 2009

DSC_0714.jpg

FTS as of April 26th, 2009

DSC_0556.jpg

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet! I know you were following the other Elos thread so congrats on the purchase. I decided to go with the CADLIGHTS system instead of this one, but I am eager to see how the Elos will treat you. Its simply beautiful!

-Carl

he should get to piiyb

:eek::eek::scarry: .. no.

Sweet! I know you were following the other Elos thread so congrats on the purchase. I decided to go with the CADLIGHTS system instead of this one, but I am eager to see how the Elos will treat you. Its simply beautiful!

-Carl

Thanks. The Cadlights was another top option for me as well. I visited their store and they were really helpful.

So we finally got it going before we went back out for our dinner. We were VERY VERY CONFUSED. Had to call Jesse like 3-4 times. Didn't even know what to do half the time. In any case, everything is in now. Skimmer is still off, sand storm is settling down.

There's like a good 3+ inches of Live sand all around. It's BEAUTIFUL. And the LR from Premium Aquatics is SO nice; picked up the cured one. Unfortunately I only got 10 lbs of it. My LFS will be supplying the rest.

The overflow makes a lot of noise, and I have it in the bedroom, so there was no way we could deal with that. I took my Victoria Secret Angel card and cut a triangle and partialy covered the overflow to reduce the noise to it's near entirety - Credit to someone from RC. Other than that, no editions to this tank.

Will sit and wait for some sort of cycle. Here's some pictures.

elos4.jpg

I have the MP20 at Random Reef setting which basically goes balistic on it's own. Sometimes I can hear it rev up, and then down. It's really neat and you get some nice surface agitation.

I've also heard about microbubbles shooting back in, but so far nothing but that can't change any day. Off we go!

I couldn't sleep last night, don't know if it was because of the noise from the over flow, or from me being to excited to sleep, or from the Vortech reving up and down...

The boyfriend was NOT happy... lol.

Anyway, I woke up in the middle of hte night to adjust my Credit Card cut out near the over flow cuz it was a bit noisy I guess.

Instead of cutting the card into a shape of the triangle, I cut a square, and cut a triangle out of it. If that makes any sense. But that helped reduce the noise a TON by reducing the exposed surface where air echoed the most.

I'm going to get another sock for the tube that comes from the over flow, and put some filter floss in there to reduce the turbulence and noise hopefully. It's bearable, but not silent :P. I still like it anyway.

My LFS gave me live rock right out of their display! I was happy, so I put it in there as well. Maybe my cycle will be faster than I expect.

Sump:

elossump.jpg

The live rock also came with 2 black nassarius snails... Are these good? I threw them in the sump because bf researched and read it was bad.

I also have this hitchhiker... looks like aptasia or a minicarpet nem. One or the other. It closes up when I squirt at it. Any luck? Sorry for the iphone pictures...

eloshiker1.jpg

EDIT: Fixed second picture. Named the jpg "Hitch" and they #####'d it out -_-

here fishy fishy

He's probably just bummed 'cause you cut up your VS card! ;)

I couldn't sleep last night, don't know if it was because of the noise from the over flow, or from me being to excited to sleep, or from the Vortech reving up and down...

Anyway, I woke up in the middle of hte night to adjust my Credit Card cut out near the over flow cuz it was a bit noisy I guess.

Instead of cutting the card into a shape of the triangle, I cut a square, and cut a triangle out of it. If that makes any sense. But that helped reduce the noise a TON by reducing the exposed surface where air echoed the most.

I'm going to get another sock for the tube that comes from the over flow, and put some filter floss in there to reduce the turbulence and noise hopefully. It's bearable, but not silent :P. I still like it anyway.

My LFS gave me live rock right out of their display! I was happy, so I put it in there as well. Maybe my cycle will be faster than I expect.

Sump:

elossump.jpg

The live rock also came with 2 black nassarius snails... Are these good? I threw them in the sump because bf researched and read it was bad.

I also have this hitchhiker... looks like aptasia or a minicarpet nem. One or the other. It closes up when I squirt at it. Any luck? Sorry for the iphone pictures...

eloshiker1.jpg

EDIT: Fixed second picture. Named the jpg "Hitch" and they #####'d it out -_-

Is there a standpipe in the overflow box? How does the drain line enter the sump? Is it a straight drop, or are there loops or bends? Does Elos not provide a cover for the overflow box?

I have the MP40W so I'm not sure on the vortech 20 but does drive have a night setting??? I know I can have the 40 go to night mode (constant half flow of the current setting) for 10 hours. Sett it at 10 pm and turns off at 8 am. Very quiet.

To get to night setting both the buttons pressed until the lights change colors then press both buttons again to set night mode.

Is there a standpipe in the overflow box? How does the drain line enter the sump? Is it a straight drop, or are there loops or bends? Does Elos not provide a cover for the overflow box?

The drain line enters the sump by a straight drop. You can make a loop or bend I guess depending on the length of the piping, but I cut it so it was a perfect fit and straight drop. Now I think I could have just made a small loop to reduce the turbulence drop. Elos does provide a cover that reduces the noise by a little.

That still doesn't stop the initial noise that is credited to the echoing of the initial drop. I read that it requires a breakin period confirmed by at least one person, but I'm not willing to wait.

I can remove the card to allow it to break in when I'm at work everyday and place it back when I go home.

I have the MP40W so I'm not sure on the vortech 20 but does drive have a night setting??? I know I can have the 40 go to night mode (constant half flow of the current setting) for 10 hours. Sett it at 10 pm and turns off at 8 am. Very quiet.

To get to night setting both the buttons pressed until the lights change colors then press both buttons again to set night mode.

Yes, there is a night mode, I will have to look into that because I didn't have much time to play with it at all this weekend.

Archived