SaltCritters.com

jz's 40 Gallon Almost Cube

lajz9

Quick background...have a 30 gallon cube...too small...need more space. I'll be moving everything to a nano-wave 9 until the new tank is fully cycled.

Tank Specs:

24"x18"x22" Glass Tank

- 3/8" Glass

- 1.5" BH Center Overflow

- 2 x 3/4" BH Returns

- Black Back

Custom Pine Stand

24" Current USA Outer Orbit Fixture (1x150W HQI Metal Halide & 2X65W Compact Fluorescents)

Custom Sump

2 x Rio Hyper Flow Pumps

Vortech MP20 Powerhead

1/15hp Mini-Arctica Chiller

6/29 Post-Move FTS:

web.jpg?ver=12463326510001

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I started tearing down the old tank last night and moving everything to the nano-wave 9. Nano-wave seems like a pretty decent tank considering it was $90 (supposed to have a broken pin but doesn't).

I also stabbed my finger on something on the rock and it's terribly infected, gonna have to go to the dr. tomorrow, definitely not good.

Here are a couple pics!

post-41886-1234594150_thumb.jpg

post-41886-1234594159_thumb.jpg

post-41886-1234594173_thumb.jpg

post-41886-1234594186_thumb.jpg

New tank will be here Saturday! Looking forward to making a trip out to Vivid on Sunday to pick up some rock, they got a nice shipment not too long ago.

The nano-wave 9 is doing alright, definitely gets a little warm during the day (82 F) but doesnt drop too much at night (79 F) so I'm not too worried about it.

New tank is here, plumbing is complete and rock is in! Picked up some beautiful Tonga Fusion rock from a local store today, got the last of it. Pics to come later!

Here are a couple pics of the new setup! More on my site, links below! Let me know what you think, ALWAYS open to suggestions and answering any questions you may have.

post-41886-1235434708_thumb.jpg

post-41886-1235434718_thumb.jpg

post-41886-1235434728_thumb.jpg

Apparently not. Does anyone recommend using anything during cycling?

The bottled bacteria may help speed up the process (the degree to which it would help is unkown though), but you don't really need to use it unless you are tired of waiting =P. I've only used some on one tank I set up a while ago when I got some stuff for free lol ... it seemed to speed it up alot for me.

I'm really not in too much of a hurry, all of my corals and inverts are doing great in the nano-wave for now so I'm definitely taking my time before stocking this one. I just want to make sure I get a good solid cycle and build up enough good bacteria before adding anything. Probably just wait it out...

Moved the rock around a little bit today...starting to see a little bit of algae growth on the rocks! Aaaaah the wait...

We really like your rock set up. We are thinking about doing something like that on our 75. Keep the pics coming.

We really like your rock set up. We are thinking about doing something like that on our 75. Keep the pics coming.

Thanks! Will do! I've always got my personal site updated with more pics if you're interested. Links below.

SO I was just at my local LFS and the owner suggested I add a couple silversides to start the cycle. Seeing as he owns one of the most amazing stores in LA as far as I'm concerned I'm going to trust him and toss them in. How do you guys feel about this? Really curious to see everyone's reaction.

IMO... Not needed.

Just let it go on it's own!

Moved things around in the sump today. I've now got the return, skimmer, heater and PhosBan reactor on one side and the return pumps on the other. I thought I had a problem with micro bubbles from the sump but now that I had a chance to take a closer look it looks like the bubbles are coming from the algae due to the cycling. Lots of bubbles down in the sand and the rocks are pretty covered with algae and bubbles now. Going to test the water tomorrow and may post some pics later!

Updated FTS from yesterday below. I think i'm going to take the rock all the way out to each wall down at the bottom. Currently there's enough room to get my hand in there to clean. Obviously I wont be able to do this if the rock is all the way to the wall. Anyone have any comments either way?

page4-1010-full.jpg

Parameters are looking great BTW! Getting a lot of algae growth on the rocks and glass but everything's looking good.

Planning on moving stuff over from the Nano-Wave 9 this weekend. Any suggestions on what to do w/ the NW?

Moved everything over from the NW9 over the weekend. Picked up some awesome pink/purple Zoas and some Firefly Zoas from Vivid.

Full Tank Shot:

page4-1000-full.jpg

Pink/Purple Zoas:

page4-1003-full.jpg

Firefly Zoas:

page4-1002-full.jpg

Lower Left Corner:

page4-1008-full.jpg

Lower Right Corner:

page4-1009-full.jpg

Upper Left Corner:

page4-1007-full.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

Man, I love the look of the tank with all those rocks.. I wish I would have done that with my tank. Corals look good as well. How do you like vivid?

Archived