age.png

Updated Equipment List

Main Tank-

• JBJ 24 Gal. Nano Cube Tank
  • 150w HQI Nano Cube Hood - Bulb=Eheim 12k replaced 5/2012
  • Nano Artica Chiller w/ QuiteOne pump
  • Maxi Jet 1200 2X
  • 100W stealth pro heater
  • water genreal rd 106- sediment replaced 6/4/2012-- carbon 6/4/2012-- r/o 6/4/2012-- di 6/4/2012-- tap filter 2010

--------------------

Refugium-

• Modified standard 10 gal tank
  • Micro Jet 320
  • T-5 Nova Extreme SRL 40W
  • 100W rena smart heater

-------------------

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The beginning

This is my first SW experiece so i decied to start with as AIO unit. I liked the NC so i purchased the NC dx model. B/c i like fixing what is not broken i decided i wanted to dirll the tank to put a refugium in. I purchased holes saws and bulkhead kits and epoxied a piece of black acrylic to the back before i drilled the holes. I figured it would act as a little insurance against cracking. :huh:fingerscrossed

Drilling.gif

I dremmeled out a 1"pvc cap to make a compact stockman style standpipe.

CIMG6554.jpg

Here is a shot of the tank all plumbed up.

Back.gif

Refugium

I built the refugium out of a standard 10 gal tank I had laying around. I didn't want it to look like its runiing half empty so I got some black 3/16 acrylic and cut and siliconed in some partitions with an overflow to put the fuge outflow. I designed it this way also partially so if the standpipe clogs the fuge overflow will run out of water before the main tank overfills which is in the living room.

BuildingFuge.gif

Here it is finished and in the kitchen.

Fuge_Done.gif

Side and surface agitation shot. I painted it with Krylon Fusion satin black, awesome paint.

FugeDone2.gif

Then we move into a lil demo work :) Cut a hole in the wall for plumbing and wiring.

CutHole.gif

SideVue.gif

Got it all plumbed through

FugeTopVue.gif

I first tried a check valve with a Hydro Flow for the fuge outlet. -_- I quickly learned check valves don't work, especially under low pressure. So I redesigned the tank fuge output to be a lil above the water level . This way there wont be any drain back when the power is out, and it works for pretty good surface agitation as well. I don't have all the lockline pieces yet

PumpOutlets.gif

Surface agitation shot

SurfaceAgeitation.gif

It all put together

ALL.gif

It has been up and running for a couple of days now. No leaks, power outage safe, even if it did overflow it would be in kitchen :lol: . Evaporation is manageable, needing top offs every other day. Overflow is super quiet, more quite then the stock fans on the JBJ. No micro bubbles.

My R/O D/I unit with inline TDS meter is coming in the mail tomorrow. Then I'm going to order some live rock from live aquaria, 16lbs nano pack and 22 lbs premium fiji.

LivingRoom.gif

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NanoReefNovice
:o WOW that's some work... very nice btw! I would need more than one of those courage in a bottle. And that would be bad on a job like this.

trust me, that was not my only courage in a bottle. :P

NanoReefNovice
Wow thats an awesome build. Good job. Nice dog too

Thanks. You want the dog :lol:

Great work on the setup, what kind of LR are you going to get?

I'm going to order some live rock from liveaquaria.com, 16lbs nano pack which is Indonesia and South Pacific and 22 lbs premium Fiji.

So 38 lbs of Fiji, Indonesian and South Pacific LR for a total of 35 gallons of water. I want the LR to come from different regions for greater biodiversity.

Why not make a cover for the 10gal to stop evaporation?

If evap becomes a prob Im going to go with an ATO, but maybe a cover to stop the cats :lol:

NanoReefNovice

Got my RO/DI setup w/ inline TDS meter yesterday :D , ordered off ebay. They took awile to get it shipped to me but Im happy with the product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REEF-HOUSE-RO-DI-REVER...bayphotohosting

Got it all setup :huh: . No leaks, first time that has ever happened! :huh:

RO_Install.gif

Took rest of night plus morning to make 35 gal of 0 TDS water. Love the setup, super easy to use. Came with pressure gauge, I'm running 55 psi at the tap. ;) Added water then CaribSea Oolite sand then Instant Ocean. I think im going to run Instant Ocean to Cycle it then move on to Red Sea Coral Pro. :mellow: I just sent in my order to liveaquaria for their 16lbs nano pack and 22lbs premium fiji. LR should arrive on Friday, will update w/ pics. :lol:

NC24-041.gif

Damn! what a setup. I love the sump being in the opposite room. Was it a problem making the hole in the wall?

I love the plumbing too. More pics and I will continue on this thread. Good Luck. B)

NanoReefNovice
Damn! what a setup. I love the sump being in the opposite room. Was it a problem making the hole in the wall?

I love the plumbing too. More pics and I will continue on this thread. Good Luck. B)

Thanks, hole in the wall was easy, just a keyhole saw. When I move it will be easy to patch as well, done it many times for roommates fist holes in the past.b :rant:

Got live rock and aqua-hardscaped yesterday, water has cleared up, pics coming today! omgomgomg

NanoReefNovice

omgomgomgLIVE ROCK CAME omgomgomg

IT_CAME.gif

Got it all de-boxed, was packed very nicely.

LAYED_OUT.gif

Took most of the day but I got it all aqua-hardscaped.

38Lbs of Indonesian, South Pacific and Fijian LR

FTS_F.gif

FTS_R.gif

FTS_L.gif

And here is one of the fuge....

FUGE.gif

And one with flash

FTS_FLASH.gif

Not sure if it is too much LR... i don't think so, i want as much bio filtration as i can get :unsure: I tried to make is so there are a lot of different levels of platforms for reef later and caves for critters. There is some space behind the stack of rock and I was thinking of directing some flow behind there too. Ive never done this before so please let me know what you think.

Soon: a couple of tank mods for better flow.

NanoReefNovice

So....the running water level is too high when i turn my fuge pump all the way up. The water will run over the back and gets high enough to touch the light shield. The flow is too high for the overflow to handle. So my solution... have duel intakes, cut some slots on the opposite side of the original intake and raise the divider all the way up (if that makes sense?)

TankMod.gif

or maybe instead of cutting slots drill some holes... no... slots, better for surface skimming... no? :unsure:

NanoReefNovice

Again, like when I drilled the tank, i had a few beers and got up the courage to notch the back of my NC.

NC24_mod004.jpg

Works AWESOME!!, now the water level stays just right and it works great at surface skimming. :lol:

Decided there was no need for the divider, both pumps in the NC have about 1" of sponge before them for some mechanical filtration. Thinking of using some filter floss in the 10 gal fuge/tank as well.

Not much action w/LR yet, haven't noticed any critters. Tested yesterday and ammonia is off the chbvart, nitrites are 0.25ppm, nitrates 0... the cycle has begun! I have been doing daily 5 gal water changes, to do a half arsed soft cycle.

Must... have.... patience :blink:

I am actually really glad to have found your post because I have been wanting to do something like this for some time. What size bulk heads did you use for this application, and was there any special precautions that you took before drilling the tank? I am looking at using an existing 20gallon sump I have and attaching it to a new nanocube 24g. Also, how did u determine what heights to drill at for your bulkheads?

NanoReefNovice

Tanks cyclin, been testing water daily, got nitrates :D . Been doing 5 gal water changes daily. There is a substancail about of LR bleaching and discoloration <_< . Had issues with my refrac and decided to trust my hydro, as a result my salinity was high 1.033 now 1.025... by my measurments :P . Its all about consitency and i wanted a good starting salinity.

My experiences are in this post...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...&p=2081200h

wow.

what a sick build!

tagging along

Thank you, glad to have you on board. :D

Why have I not seen this build... AMAZING BRO!!! CHEERS!!!

I don't know, why haven't you? :lol: CHEERS

EDIT: Oh yea, did you know ur tank was my first inspiration?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1989833

I am actually really glad to have found your post because I have been wanting to do something like this for some time. What size bulk heads did you use for this application, and was there any special precautions that you took before drilling the tank? I am looking at using an existing 20gallon sump I have and attaching it to a new nanocube 24g. Also, how did u determine what heights to drill at for your bulkheads?

Glad to hear this post has helped some. I used a 1" for the overflow 1/2" for the inlet (1 3/4" and 1 1/8" hole saw respectively). As for special precautions for drilling the tank, I high strength epoxied a piece of acrylic to the back where i drilled for the bulkheads. I figured this might help prevent a crack or stop one from spreading as well as distribute any torque applied during maintenance much like a big washer. The best advice i was given about drilling the tank was, "low pressure, high RPM". It was nerve racking but easy. I drilled the inlet a little bit below the water level so i could have the output at the water level. I drilled the overflow towards the bottom to have space for a standpipe. 20 G sump sounds awesome, the more water the easier it is to keep the tank water perams stable. Let me know if you have any more questions and how it all works out. ;)

NanoReefNovice

Cycling, water changes, testing... :mellow:

sump thru the wall, ftw!

:D

;)

this has epic build written all over it!

Thanks man. :happy:

THANKS BRO!!!

Seriously though... I think your build has already beat anything I've done!

Next the hard part, keeping everything alive and flourishing like you have.

looks good, why didnt you cut out the back wall and get rid of the "compartments" especially since you are running a sump. Also what kind of probs are you having since your drain is so low. Most drains are near the surface and utilize a durso.

NanoReefNovice
looks good, why didnt you cut out the back wall and get rid of the "compartments" especially since you are running a sump. Also what kind of probs are you having since your drain is so low. Most drains are near the surface and utilize a durso.

Compartments hold pumps chemical and mechanical filtration, heater.... anything else i will eventually think of. I wanted to keep it looking stock from the outside. The hole i drilled for the overflow is low b/c it worked. i dint want to drill two holes close together and i wanted to have room for a compact stockman style stanpipe. I can adjust the water level of the NC 24 by adjusting the standpipe.

NanoReefNovice

Today's water perams...

Temp = 80F

Salinity = 1.024

pH = 7.8

Ammonia =0

Nitrite = 1.0

Nitrate = 10

Hardness = 12

Phosphates = 0

Calcium = 340

pH low, Nitrites high, Nitrates High, Calcium low.... now for another water change.... -_-

Archived