• Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, I've made a little more progress.

Ordered thus far:

MJ1200

Koralia Nano

VisiTherm Stealth 100w

FNI MH 150W

And finally on to pics. I did my fresh water test today to make sure I had no leaks. All was well! I do have a small leak around the tube from the MJ, but I'm not going to worry about that so much. It's hard enough right now to get in that chamber to put it in and take it out, so I'm not going to bother sealing it off.

I also changed the design a little bit. I can't remember whose tank I saw that had the drilled holes for surface skimming, but I liked the idea and used it. I'll have to dig through and find who used it on theirs. I've looked at so many threads that I can't remember from left to right.

Anyways, on to the pics!

3292180512_b3da26fd8e_o.jpg

3291360965_d4f2529670_o.jpg

3291349063_37fb8395e3_o.jpg

3292171660_269cfeb380_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Updates: It's ALIVE!

Well, ok, not quite. I've moved it to its final resting spot courtesy of the Walmart aquarium stand I bought today. I also picked up 30lbs of Aragonite sand and a couple clumps of live rock to get it started. I'll be stopping by the LFS this Wednesday when they are supposed to receive more LR and pick the rest out. For now, it's just one big dust bowl. People weren't kidding when they said it is dusty after you put sand in. Slowly and steadily it's been clearing, but I don't expect crystal clear water for a couple days at least.

Here are the specs:

20g long customized to AIO

MJ 1200

Koralia Nano

FNI 150W MH

30lbs Aragonite sand (non-live)

Walmart Aquarium stand

Visi-Therm Stealth 150W Heater

Best part about all of this, besides having it up and running, is that my LFS gives away free RO water and sells salt water for $.25 cents a gallon! I can't wait til this cycle is completed so that I can start adding in critters. Even my wife is excited about this tank. Who would of thought?

3320667143_737cfe1b31_o.jpg

3321507852_a2e1c63c0d_o.jpg

3321503242_acacee75f6_o.jpg

Well the water finally cleared out this morning. I rigged up a micro-fiber cloth on my overflow to catch all the debris and ran it like that through the night. I awoke this morning to a crystal clear tank, with the exception of some fine dust on the inside glass and on my pumps and heater. But I can clean that later.

All I can say now is that I'm super glad that I went with metal halide. It's looks amazing. Now I just need to add some more LR in and get the cycle over with. This waiting game is torture!

I'll post more pics tonight or tomorrow night once I have the final scape done.

Awesome tank brother! I have a 20L myself and have been pondering a drill/sump project but the AIO design you have shared here is amazing and got me considering it. How did you get the sump area blacked out? That is trick!

I used Krylon Fusion paint on the exterior of the tank. Worked like a charm! I'm losing a little area for the display, but it's not that bad. Only 6" is lost to overflow/fuge. Plus I can hide all my equipment back there too. So far so good!

Ok, here are some better pics now that the dust storm has cleared. I can't accurately capture the color of the tank just yet. I was playing with my settings on the DSLR and got a few decent shots. I know it's just a boring tank with sand and a couple miniature pieces of LR right now. I'm just using this to document my progress and hopefully get some feedback from all of you.

Tomorrow I'll be purchasing more LR and doing some better aqua-scaping.

3326641307_93b46fff35_o.jpg

3327480732_8809f211fc_o.jpg

3326638897_26eb81c40f_o.jpg

3326646609_d92b27a17e_o.jpg

Great tank and good luck. I thrive on your basic twenty gallon format Patience is the key,.you can see some of the images posted of my twenty. Make sure you take as many images you can on manual mode practice makes perfect.

Finally got my diatom bloom. Started out a little bit yesterday, today it was widespread. I'm also getting a lot of nitrogen bubbles coming up from the sand as well as forming on the live rock. I've added 2 blue legged hermits and 3 nassarius snails to the tank. I'll be picking up a couple astrea snails tomorrow to help with the algae bloom I'm getting on the LR.

Updates:

Well, I added some stuff in this past week and weekend. Picked up a yellow-tail Damsel and added her to the tank. Now I'm not sure if it's really a "her", but the wife and I are calling her Boo.

Today I went to the Midwest Marine Conference and picked up a baby plate coral, a frag of monti cap for free, a yellow headed jawfish and a frag of zoos.

I'll have to get some pictures of the additions. I'm not particularly happy with how much algae seems to be growing at this point. I did clean it up over the weekend, but it seems like my clean up crew is too small at this point. I only have 2 astrea snails, 2 cerith, and 3 nassarius. I'll give it some time though and see how it goes.

Have you tested your water? If you still have a diatom bloom, then that means your still in your cycle and you shouldnt be adding anything

I tested last week and everything checked out. So I don't know, I'll test the water again. Hopefully nothing is wrong, I'd hate to have the jawfish and damsel in there if my parameters are out of whack.

yea that wouldnt be good because if they die that will just prolong your cycle. What kind of jawfish are you getting?

I picked up a yellow headed jawfish. I just checked my water parameters again because I got a little worried. Everything is at 0.

Though now my problem is my Jawfish isn't looking so good. He was fine earlier today, working on his burrow. Then I checked on him a few minutes ago and found him laying on his side. So I moved him from the display to the fuge area so he can be alone. I really, really hope he doesn't die on me. I'll feel horrible.

Well, unfortunately, the Jawfish didn't make it. I checked on him last night at like 2am and he was gone. I feel horrible. I think that he was overstressed at the LFS and me bringing him home didn't help him. I should have paid more attention to how he looked when the LFS took him out of their tank. I think I was so wrapped up in conversation that I didn't notice his condition.

Lesson learned, though at the price of a helpless fish and money from my wallet. I'm honestly more disappointed that I let him suffer then at the loss of money. I won't be adding in another fish for a while, that's for sure.

My damsel is doing wonderfully though. Last night she pulled an amazing disappearing act on me. I had no idea where she was in the tank as I was cleaning up after the Jawfish. This morning, there she was front and center.

On another note and completely off-topic, my Bearded Dragon has gone missing in my house. I've been letting her run around lately since she seems to be spring crazy. Now I can't find her. Heck of a weekend this is turning out to be.

sorry for your loss, tomorrow morning just any spot in the house where sun shines threw, i bet youll catch her out basking. good luck

Archived