Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

PSYS 3-Gal. Picotope

PSYS

** holla! **

006-8.jpg

Umm... yeah.

So... I guess I'm starting a thread of my own so that I can fill it with progress, get help, ask questions and hopefully, keep a journal of what I plan on doing.

Here goes:

I'm not entirely new reef keeping. I had an AGA 120 a several years ago. I did a lot of stuff right and probably did an equal amount of things wrong. That was several years ago and I think a little piece of me always wanted to get back into it.

So, my name is Scott... I'm 34 years old and currently residing in Oshkosh, WI with my girlfriend, Chrissy. We have a super-duper teeny-tiny studio apartment. Space?? ...yeah, it's an issue. We've had to be super creative with the way in which we live.

Anywho... on our kitchen counter, I thought it'd be cool if we went with JBJ's 3-gallon picotope. Obviously, the members here at Nano-Reef.com and of course, the pico reef section of the forum have been huge inspirations to this journey back into the hobby. So... thank you to everyone. The amount of information here and photographs are completely amazing. :happy:

You'll have to excuse the lack of photographs in this initial post. I actually don't mind taking photographs, in fact, I rather fancy it. I've got a fairly new point/shoot Panasonic Lumix (10.3MP) digital camera. I'm still kinda playing around with it but for the most part, it does the job. But anyway, sadly enough, I don't have much to the photograph.

I ordered the JBJ 3-gallon picotope tank yesterday from DRS Foster & Smith. I live in Oshkosh and it's shipping from Rhinelander, WI... so I'll definitely have it sometime this coming week, I'd think? If not, not a big deal. I don't have much I can do with it right now, anyway.

The picotope is all I'm going to have. I don't have a larger tank to supplement the pico with. I don't have live rock or live sand that I can move from tank to tank. I can't have any fish that is going to suddenly "outgrow" the pico anytime soon because as I've said - space is definitely an issue and there is no other tank or holding facility. It will just be the pico.

I do have a brand new can of flat black spray paint, however, that I'll be using on the back of the pico.

My intentions? I do want to modify an Aquaclear70 power filter to utilize as a fuge. It seems to be a pretty successful modification that most members have done to their pico. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade the lighting over time, as well.

I've honestly not thought a whole lot about livestock as of yet... I don't want to keep SPS or clams since I don't want to incorporate the use of MH lighting. Standard softies, mushrooms, zoas, perhaps some additional LPS, as well. Beyond that, I've not given much thought... I'm being practical in the sense that I am going into this knowing very well space is an issue and after all, I'll have a whopping three whole gallons. Given that, I'm still blown away by the sheer flexibility that people have used with these little picos. Completely amazing to me in every way.

I'll be purchasing the AquaClear70 next along with a heater, standard test kit, refractometer and other basic essentials. I'm going to be purchasing RO/DI water from a local LFS just a few miles away from our apartment... so it's pretty convenient. I know evaporation seems to be an issue with a tank this small so I'm aware of the approx. 1/gal. per week evaporation rate.

I have some questions that I thought I'd throw in here since this thread will be personalized for me and my pico.

1.) I know after getting the equipment all set-up, I need to think about live rock/live sand. Am I able to cure the rock directly in my pico? I was thinking if I obtained a slightly larger powerhead to get really good water flow along with the heater, I could cure it directly in the pico. Would that be okay or would I need to obtain a separate tank? I'd rather not do that, however, because of space restraints.

I guess my initial thought process was just tossing the rock in the pico with a larger powerhead on a bare bottom. Let it cure. Do it's thing. Regular water changes. Take out the rock. Siphon up all the crap and crud. And then put the rock back in the tank with the aquascaping I want with the live sand.

1A.) Would I use any filtration on the tank while the live rock is curing? Should I have anything special in the compartments of the AC70? Or should that not even be part of the live rock curing equation?

2.) I'd rather not put a powerhead in the pico once all is set-up. I want things clean and simple and I'd rather not incoporate the use of a powerhead if I can get away with it. That being said, I know having "dead spots" can also be problematic. Not sure if anyone else touched on this in any of their member threads or not... but will the Aquaclear70 provide adequate flow?

3.) Live rock... where in the heck is everyone getting this stuff for a 3-gal pico tank? The LFS stores around here suck for live rock. I didn't see anything original or even any pieces I could utilize at any of the LFS stores I went to today. They were all massive chunks of standard Fiji live rock. No originality. No cool shapes. They were just chunks of rock. Have any of you ordered any cherry picked pieces of a nano/pico aquarium online? I know DRS Foster... has a selection online of nano live rock. But even this seemed excessive, I think? Not sure.

One store I went to today had a few pieces (albeit, HUGE) of Pukani rock. It was amazing how porous and uniquely shaped it was. Just wondering if I could get your thoughts on live rock ordering online? Otherwise, I may check out a local reef club to see if anyone locally may be able to assist me with what I need?

Oh, so here's the obligatory photo as part of my first post. I've never posted an image here on the forum yet, so be easy. If it doesn't work out, I'll give it another go. Otherwise, as you can see... this is the first thing I physically have in my hand right now. paint. I'll post photos of the tank once I have that along with all the other goodies I'll be purchasing along the way.

I'll definitely take all the help, experience, advice and constructive criticism I can get my hands on.

Oh, and sorry for the lengthy post.

001.jpg

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't wait to see your pico tank come together! Don't spare us the photos no matter how redundant or irrelevant it may seem. The more the better! lol Seriously though, I would recommend taking lots of photos for record keeping and for tracking your progress. Over time you'll be able to look back and see "baby pictures" of your tank. :happy:

You should read this article before spray painting the back of your tank. It talks about painting the back of the tank and the effect it has on reflection and light intensity complete with diagrams and PAR results. These results are probably negligible but is still worth reading nonetheless.

To answer your questions:

1.) I know after getting the equipment all set-up, I need to think about live rock/live sand. Am I able to cure the rock directly in my pico? Yes. Depending on the quality of rock you're starting with it shouldn't take very long to cure it in your tank. I was thinking if I obtained a slightly larger powerhead to get really good water flow along with the heater, I could cure it directly in the pico. Would that be okay or would I need to obtain a separate tank? A good powerhead is definitely important for flow, even if at first you don't plan on putting up a fuge right away. This will help minimize diatoms and prevent hair algae from taking root. I'd rather not do that, however, because of space restraints. Right. A separate tank isn't required.

1A.) Would I use any filtration on the tank while the live rock is curing? You can use the stock filter that comes with the Picotope unless you've got a an AC70 ready to go. Avoid using any chemical filtration during the cycle. Should I have anything special in the compartments of the AC70? Or should that not even be part of the live rock curing equation? Only filter floss until your tank is done cycling.

2.) I'd rather not put a powerhead in the pico once all is set-up. I want things clean and simple and I'd rather not incoporate the use of a powerhead if I can get away with it. That being said, I know having "dead spots" can also be problematic. Not sure if anyone else touched on this in any of their member threads or not... but will the Aquaclear70 provide adequate flow? The AC70 provides enough flow for most people. I'm partial and come from the school of more flow but it really depends on what you plan to keep in your tank. On the other hand, a powerhead can be tucked away discretely and doesn't necessarily have to be unsightly by sitting conspicuously in plain view. The best resolution is to actually try it out yourself and see what works for you.

3.) Live rock... where in the heck is everyone getting this stuff for a 3-gal pico tank? I got mine from a reliable LFS that carry good quality small piece rock. The LFS stores around here suck for live rock. I didn't see anything original or even any pieces I could utilize at any of the LFS stores I went to today. They were all massive chunks of standard Fiji live rock. No originality. No cool shapes. They were just chunks of rock. Have any of you ordered any cherry picked pieces of a nano/pico aquarium online? I know DRS Foster... has a selection online of nano live rock. But even this seemed excessive, I think? Not sure. Some people here should be able to recommend some good online vendors where you can get live rock from. Just remember to get the best quality rock you can get and don't skimp out.

Hope that helps and don't forget to post those pictures! :)

FAB!

Wow. Thanks a lot for replying so quickly. I really appreciate it. :happy:

First, I did find that thread the other day about the possible disadvantages of painting the back of an aquarium. I can't discredit all of the data that has been researched thus far... but as for being unsightly, I can't imagine trying to keep a tank of any caliber without having a background behind it. I think the vinyl applications that you can find at your local petstore look cheap. I think over time, it may be possible to start seeing fraying at the edges and then I'd have the worry about a big fat air bubble being trapped behind it. I figure, to eliminate those headaches... I'd just paint it. To each their own, I suppose. I still think it was an interesting article, nonetheless.

Thanks again for the quick reply... I don't take it lightly and I certainly appreciate all the input. The thread where you've documented the build of your 3-gal. pico was definitely a big inspiration to me beginning mine.

Anywho...

Next on my list are these items:

* HydorTheo Heater *

hydortheoheater.jpg

* MiniJet 404 *

minijet.jpg

* Coralife Digital Thermometer *

coralife.jpg

I do not curently have an AC70... and I know for the time being, and certainly as the rock is just curing in its initial stages... I can get by with the stock filter. But I will be getting an AC70.

...still waiting for some kind of reply about live rock. With 50+ views to my thread, I'm hoping someone can chime in and let me know where you obtained the rock for your pico or nano. Do any of you have any experience with the "Nano Rock" from DRS Foster...?? The photos on their website look really decent to say the least. Input? :(

I woke up this morning to find that I have an official FedEx tracking number for my 3-gal. pico! *yay! :happy:

1.) For live rock curing, what kind of lighting period does everyone seem to utilize over their pico/nano tanks?

I suppose I'll end this reply with another photo. Everyone seems to love photos around here. So... my other pets consist of two tarantulas. I used to have 42 different species... but I'm down to just two. My girlfriend is happy she'll have a pico reef to look at 'cuz she's not too fond of the tarantulas. :lol:

This is my juvenile Poecilotheria regalis. *yay!*

001.jpg

Went to Fleet Farm earlier this morning and bought a 7-gallon container used for storing water. I figure, this will be ideal for housing pre-made RO/DI water. I'll probably just get RO/DI water from my local LFS barring any unforseen circumstances. I'm gonna check with a couple of local reefers to see if they have any experience and/or TDS readings with water there.

Just in case no one knows what a 7-gal. water storage container looks like. :mellow: haha.

002.jpg

Oh. And here's the location on our kitchen counter where the pico will be... see how clean it is? Oooh. Ahhh.

001-1.jpg

Here's the entrance to our apartment. Our little humble abode. Covered with snow, snow and more snow. And some ice thrown in for good measure. It's warm here today though. 31 degrees right now. Fricken heat wave!

002-1.jpg

Back on topic...

I found some really good reviews of the nano live rock package that DRS Foster & Smith offers. A lot of reviews online have had nothing but positive things to say about it... I know I'm not going to need all of it so I'm hoping I can sell and/or trade the rest of it to a local reefer since it's a 16-lb. box. Hmmm...

I hope everyone is having a great weekend! :happy:

Sweet little apartment. I was back in Mi last weekend and it was terribly cold the high was 10 and Im used to 75 haha. The liverock from LA is really good stuff but unless you have someone already in line to buy the excess then I would just get youre LR from the LFS

Sweet little apartment. I was back in Mi last weekend and it was terribly cold the high was 10 and Im used to 75 haha. The liverock from LA is really good stuff but unless you have someone already in line to buy the excess then I would just get youre LR from the LFS

I think I'll check around and see if I can find someone locally who can take the excess off my hands. There's not much here in terms of LFS stores... everyone can order me a 50 pound box if that's what I want. But as far as stuff they already have on hand, I didn't see too much that really stood out. It was just chunks of Fiji with no life... no coralline... and just sitting in holding tanks. Bleh.

cool i have a pet tarantula as well, and a boa, a lizard........lol

SWEET! :) What kinda T do you have?

Ordered the Coralife Digital Thermometer online last night. Found it on eBay for $5.95 and $1.25 shipping. Figured, I couldn't really go wrong with that buy. I also ordered an analog thermometer, as well... I've heard sometimes the digital ones can be skewed. Although, I don't know if that pertains to the Coralife brand itself? I guess it's better to be safe than so, so sorry. :lol:

OK. So, guess what?? I checked my FedEx tracking number this morning and my pico tank is shipping today and delivering tomorrow! *yay!* It helps to reside in the same state it's shipping from... :happy:

Hi welcome to NR.

I know you mentioned the LFS not having small pieces and that the LR does not appear to have any life or color but 16lb.'s of LR + shipping sounds expensive. I would try one piece from the local store then break it with a chisel and hammer and see if a local reefer could help you out with a couple small pieces to seed a 3gal tank. After you cycle and start picking up corals many may come on rock so you only need 2-3 lb.'s to get started. There is a list of local clubs in a link on the home page under information. Well thats what I would try. Good luck and glad to have joining in on the fun.

Hi welcome to NR.

I know you mentioned the LFS not having small pieces and that the LR does not appear to have any life or color but 16lb.'s of LR + shipping sounds expensive. I would try one piece from the local store then break it with a chisel and hammer and see if a local reefer could help you out with a couple small pieces to seed a 3gal tank. After you cycle and start picking up corals many may come on rock so you only need 2-3 lb.'s to get started. There is a list of local clubs in a link on the home page under information. Well thats what I would try. Good luck and glad to have joining in on the fun.

I couldn't find any specifics when I did a search. Is any harm done to the rock when you break it? I didn't know what, if any, damage could be done as far as life on the rock is concerned. If that's the case, I may go *back* to those same LFS stores and see if a chunk of rock strikes my fancy.

I'll check with some people in the local reef club to see if anything can be done to assist me with getting a couple of nice *small* pieces.

I honestly did forget about the additional live rock I'd be picking up once I begin obtaining corals... oops. Thanks for reminding me about that.

I can't wait to see it set up. :) Was that water jug that you got from Fleet Farm expensive? I've seen 5 gallon jugs go for $10 - $20.

rosy haired tarantula.

I loved my pet Rosie. She was such a good tarantula... my girlfriend won't let me get another one 'cuz I'd take it out too much and play with it. She'd sit on my laptop and just watch me surf the 'net. :lol:

I can't wait to see it set up. :) Was that water jug that you got from Fleet Farm expensive? I've seen 5 gallon jugs go for $10 - $20.

It was $10.

I just checked out Fleet Farm on a whim because I found a 5-gal. jug just like it on eBay. He wanted $6 for a BuyItNow auction but then wanted $12 just to ship it! :angry: I couldn't justify the shipping cost so I opted to search elsewhere. I guess I'm glad I did because I'd rather have the 7-gal. container than the 5-gal.

Yup rosies are cool but can be terrifying to people scared of spiders, when I first bought it it crawled out the box and grabbed my hand, my younger brother screamed, lol,

You can break the rock no side effects that I have ever heard of.

Thank for the help. I didn't think that was the case? ... but better to be safe than sorry.

I'm going to toss a feeler out to the local reef club who seem to frequent RC quite a bit regarding some established *smaller* pieces of LR for my pico. Hopefully, I get some bites... and when the time comes, I can grab it.

im new myself so i dont have to much info for you. but i have that same thermometer and its about three degrees off. you can get a little galss one for about three dollars.

back to reef stuff, i have that 404 pump and its great and also that thermometer and it works well, i have that heater in storage from an old freshwater tank, it works welll just takes up too much space so I didnt put it in the 2.5. All good selection of equipment though. And about the paint, what if somthing falls behind, you wont be able to see it, you shouldnt paint it imo.

im new myself so i dont have to much info for you. but i have that same thermometer and its about three degrees off. you can get a little galss one for about three dollars.

3 Degrees?! :o And it's the Coralife brand??

... I guess I'm glad I bought an analog thermometer at the same time. :lol:

I noticed on eBay there are A LOT of knock-offs that look identical to the Coralife digital thermometer. But all of the knock-offs were located and are shipping from China or Hong Kong. These are the ones you definitely want to stay away from. I'm disappointed to hear that about the Coralife brand though. Hmm...

3 Degrees?! :o And it's the Coralife brand??

... I guess I'm glad I bought an analog thermometer at the same time. :lol:

I noticed on eBay there are A LOT of knock-offs that look identical to the Coralife digital thermometer. But all of the knock-offs were located and are shipping from China or Hong Kong. These are the ones you definitely want to stay away from. I'm disappointed to hear that about the Coralife brand though. Hmm...

yea i was pretty dissapointed. maybe i got a bad one. idk. but hopefully yours works for you

back to reef stuff, i have that 404 pump and its great and also that thermometer and it works well, i have that heater in storage from an old freshwater tank, it works welll just takes up too much space so I didnt put it in the 2.5. All good selection of equipment though. And about the paint, what if somthing falls behind, you wont be able to see it, you shouldnt paint it imo.

I want to find the most accurate, yet smallest sized heater available. And I think the Hydor brand fits the bill. I think on DRS' website, it says it's only, like, 7.5" tall. Will this adequately fit in an AC70 when I decide to make a fuge?

ugh. I really don't want to *not* paint the back of tank. I just think it looks unsightly seeing everything behind the tank. Plus, I think everything sort of stands out a bit more with the back of the tank painted. And if something did fall out or jump out or decide to go kamikaze on me and end up behind the tank... I suppose I'll try and make it a point to glance behind the tank every now and again. ;) LOL!

Great tank! I loved mine, I think I will set it back up... hmmmmmm....

Tagging allong!

Clint

SWEET!! The more input I have, the better.... thanks a lot for tagging along, Clint! I checked out your thread earlier this afternoon. Your tank is awesome!! :)

FedEx hasn't updated my tracking number but the delivery date is still showing 02/03 (tomorrow). I guess we'll see what happens.

Random note: I'm really liking the various color morphs that zoas seem to come in. I had no idea. And I know GSP is threatening to take over the world... but dammit, I really like the way it looks as a coral.

Random photo I took looking outside my window at work from my desk:

001-4.jpg

gsp will not take over as long as you trim it, and I agree it is a beautiful piece of coral. You may also wanto look into lps and sps as they make picos look great if done carefully.

Archived