SaltCritters.com

Post your stock Fishneedit Pictures here

cuboy

Hi, so this is what the bulb output looks. Picture was taken on a BB Storm. If people have stock fishneedit bulbs in their fishneedit fixture. Post pictures too! I know alot of people just purchase the fixture and use it stock at first for a few months. I searched long and hard to find pictures of stock temp output from these items, but did not get many results. I'm sure there are others also wondering what the stock combination colors would create. So if you have one, show us.

fishneedit.JPG

The bulbs on the 36" T5H0 are 3x14k and 1 actinic - mounted on a 20L

The 150w MH temp is 14k. - mounted on a 12g NC

Not bad so how is the quality of the fixture. I have heard the wires or the ballast short out on these bad boys after a year.

Does this come with individual reflectors or is it one single reflector over all four bulbs.

I am shopping around to see which is better the china knock off or Oddyssea the other china knock off.

Adolfo

they are individual reflectors. I don't have alot of experience with different fixtures, but the t5 seems solid, it's decent but not great. The mh seems ok, probably b/c of the cheap bulb.

in about 6 months, I'll probably get new bulbs and these fixtures might become awesome.

Are the legs on th MH the ones that came with it? What tank is that on? The t5's look a little white to me but pics can be deceiving. Is that about the true color?

Are the legs on th MH the ones that came with it? What tank is that on? The t5's look a little white to me but pics can be deceiving. Is that about the true color?

Yes, the legs are the ones that came with the MH. The pictures are pretty close to showing the colors, i think it shows up a little more blue.

The t5 probably looks a little more white, because i only got 1 actinic bulb and the wall is white.

the mh looks very yellow,

I'd take the FNI setups over the Odysseas at this point. With the new electronic ballasts on the MH, they are much smaller and quieter. Plus, with the modular nature of their fixtures, you can clip together a pretty sweet MH and T5 unit for a very reasonable cost.

Nice pictures cuboy.

Looks good. I just ordered the same t-5 fixture yesterday. I went with 2 14k and 2 Actinic Blue bulbs. I will post pics when it comes in. I am hoping it isn't too blue for me.. I am curious. What is the height from the rim of the tank to the top of the t-5 fixture? I want to know if I need to modify my canopy or not..

the legs on the MH look like it could get up and run away at anytime

haha that made me laugh, but you are definately right they do not feel so sturdy.

correction: it is unstable on my NC12 since I cannot properly screw it down tightly due to the tank. So it might not be the light's fault

The bulbs on the 36" T5H0 are 3x14k and 1 actinic - mounted on a 20L

So if you could, would you still choose the same bulb configuration or change it?

I was considering the 4' version for a 33-long. I was planning to get 2-14k & 2-actinic combo. I would assume the 20k bulbs are more blue??

I would keep it how it is right now. At first I was thinking 2 14k and 2 actinic. I emailed FNI and they recomended the following 3x10k and 1 actinic for my frag tank. However, i thought 3x10k might just be too yellow for me, so I went with 3 14k.

The best combination we have is 36" 3X 10000K+ 1X Blue right now

Thank you

--- On Fri, 1/23/09, Anthony Nguyen <anthonycnguyen@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: 3ft 4xT5HO question

To: "simon lin" <sftrading@yahoo.com>

Date: Friday, January 23, 2009, 8:55 PM

From what you have in stock, what will be the best combination

simon lin <sftrading@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi Anthony

>We are sorry, We don't have any pictures of color configurations that the light.

>I think 2X 6700K,one blue and one pink is the best. But we don't have 36" 6700K and pink in stock now. If you have any question please let us know. Thank you very much

>Fishneedit

>

>

>--- On Fri, 1/23/09, Anthony Nguyen <anthonycnguyen@yahoo.com> wrote:

>

>From: Anthony Nguyen <anthonycnguyen@yahoo.com>

>Subject: 3ft 4xT5HO question

>To: sftrading@yahoo.com

>Date: Friday, January 23, 2009, 12:59 PM

>

>Hello,

>

>I had a question regarding the bulb configuration. Do you have any pictures of color configurations that the light gives off?

>

>I am trying to figure out which would be the best combination for growth and color.

>

>If I get 3 14k white and 1 actinic, will this provide a blue color?

>

>or 2x14k and 2xactinic ?

>

>or 2x10k and 2xactinic ?

woooow wooow, wait a minute evil??? u say these are mods and can be linked??? ive always wondered about fixtures that should do this...many reasons, none that make sense over diy lighting but hey, it was a thought in my screwed up head :huh:

I'd take the FNI setups over the Odysseas at this point. With the new electronic ballasts on the MH, they are much smaller and quieter. Plus, with the modular nature of their fixtures, you can clip together a pretty sweet MH and T5 unit for a very reasonable cost.

Nice pictures cuboy.

woooow wooow, wait a minute evil??? u say these are mods and can be linked??? ive always wondered about fixtures that should do this...many reasons, none that make sense over diy lighting but hey, it was a thought in my screwed up head :huh:

Sure. It's right on their website.

http://www.fishneedit.com/mhl-kit.html

Any one able to get a measurement from the tank to the top of the t-5 fixture??

I will be posting my pics on tuesday when mine comes in..

haha that made me laugh, but you are definately right they do not feel so sturdy.

correction: it is unstable on my NC12 since I cannot properly screw it down tightly due to the tank. So it might not be the light's fault

Is the top plastic trim on the NC12 what is causing the fitting issue, or something else? I am looking at putting one of these over the same tank in the future and have been curious about the fit and stability of the legs. From the unstable look of the picture, I'd probably just hang it from the ceiling instead...

how would you think these compare with the hellolights that were available? They still have 48'' and wondering which would work best.

Same question here.

Hellolights 4x54 ($171. delivered) with one cord, one switch, no splash guard and no moonlights vs Fishneedit 4x54 ($153. delivered) with 3-cords, 3-switches, splash guard and moonlights.

Opinions??

fishneedit-more bells and whistles.

HL-better light output, better reflector, better build.

I went with the HL. Easy to add splash guard.

Have you tried both, or are you basing that on others opinions about the fishneedit light?

Anyone else??

Is the top plastic trim on the NC12 what is causing the fitting issue, or something else? I am looking at putting one of these over the same tank in the future and have been curious about the fit and stability of the legs. From the unstable look of the picture, I'd probably just hang it from the ceiling instead...

Yes it's due to the trim. Yesterday I created a metal pole as holder that i hang the light on.

The stock mh bulb on this light sucks. There's a dark area down the middle of the tank.

edit: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...needit&st=0 is a good thread to read. steps on how to mod the fixture to get rid of the dark spot. Oh, and my pole holder looks like his.

I am however, very impressed by the FNI T5HO light. It does feel a like a cheap build. It's light, it's plastic, it works and it saved me $$$. The stock bulbs are usable until it's time for a replacement.

I am however, very impressed by the FNI T5HO light. It does feel a like a cheap build. It's light, it's plastic, it works and it saved me $$$. The stock bulbs are usable until it's time for a replacement.

I was under the impression the housing was aluminum.

From the fishneedit site........

Product Description

Aluminum body is lightweight, heavy duty and rust proof Accommodates ultra efficient,

That was the one thing I didn't like about the Hellolights is painted metal. I looked at a used Tek light at the lfs and it already had rust showing in places. After many years of owning boats around SW, painted metal will rust no matter how well it's covered.

Archived