Pod Your Reef

The adventure begins New pics 07/19/10

cichlidtx

Hi all,

This is my first salwater setup, I've doing FW for a number of years. I was given a Nanocube 12DX shell that needs some work. Here's what I have so far and have done:

1. Ordered a new ballast to support 2x24W PC lights

2. Installed MJ1200.

3. Ordered 1/2 Loc-line to support two outputs for each side of the tank.

4. 20lbs. LR in a bucket saltwater, I don't plan on using it all.

5. 20lbs LS

6. Salt & hydrometer

1.jpg

1_1.jpg

1_2.jpg

I've reading posts on this site for months and have gained alot of knowledge from you all. This is a great site. I plan taking pics as I go along this adventure to share with everyone. I have a few things to do still before I can setup, but I'm being patient.

1. Build stand this weekend

2. Buy saltwater test kit.

3. Buy heater.

I will post some pics of the stand and the fuge light that I'm almost finished with. Thanks again for all great info and would appreciate any feedback and criticism.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I finished my first mod. A fuge light that I seen here on NF. It was a very simple setup and the best part and my wife agrees, only cost $16.

The parts list:

1 1/4" PVC conduit

waterproof lamp holder

CFL 6500K bulb

velcro

Fan and 12v power supply that I already had. Here's some pics of the build.

1_3.jpg

The lamp holder is an outdoor spotlight housing.

1_4-1.jpg

I had to sand the housing a little for the light housing to fit into.

1_5-1.jpg

Housing fits perfect after sanding.

1_6.jpg

Applied velcro to attach to tank.

1_12.jpg

Next I had to mark location on the second chamber and begin removing vinyl.

1_8-1.jpg

1_10-1.jpg

Vinyl removed.

1_11.jpg

I went ahead and added a fan to reduce heat if needed. I used a computer fan and a electrical box extender to attach the fan to the back of the conduit housing.

1_16.jpg

This fuge will be located on chamber 2.

1_9-1.jpg

I also started making my stand. I finished the frame today and will continue working on it tomorrow. I will post pics of the build tomorrow.

Thanks.

Your mods are looking good, I like what your doing. That mj1200 should be some good flow, even with a lock-line. I'm interested in seeing your tank stand when it's done!

Well, I appreciate the feedback. I received the loc-line today except they sent the wrong bulkhead a 11/4" instead of the 1/2" that I ordered, but the rest looks good. For those of you interested I ordered from savko.com, good prices but a little high on shipping. I also had some time to work on the stand. I used a 2x4 frame that I borrowed from someone else's design that I believe came from this site. I started to skin it with MDF so it will match the tables that I built in the same room. It will be painted and I will add corner molding to hide seams. This is going to be very sturdy and heavy. I still have to make the top and bottom, I'm going to curve the fronts to match the tank. I'm also considering using the bun style feet. Here's a few pics of the progress. Again, I appreciate any feedback. Let me know if I'm posting to many pics or if they are to large. Thanks.

Top & bottom frame cut

1_17-1.jpg

pre-drilled and countersunk holes for screws.

1_18.jpg

top & bottom frame assembly

1_19.jpg

supports for uprights attached to bottom frame

1_20.jpg

completed frame

1_21.jpg

started skinning with MDF. The top in the pic is just for mock up.

1_22.jpg

1_23.jpg

Hey where's the CAD on this build B) Just kidding. You got a nice little work shop over there, may have to come by sometime. Is Felix The Cat registered on the forum? Maybe I should try airbrushing a background on my tank.... a skull engulfed in some purplish (coraline colored) true flames. Just go a 60 gallon.... compressor!! :lol:

I'm impressed..... It looks very good

-Rich

Looks very good, you have been doing youre homework.

Thanks, I've spent numerous hours researching and talking to friends over the past 6 months, hope it works out.

SiLkk, I really want to get it setup, but I'm telling myself to take my time and be patient.

Here's a couple more pics of the stand, I finished and attached the top and bottom pieces. I plan on finishing the door and one more shelf this weekend and then its paint time and finish trim. Overall, I'm happy except for the weight. Thanks,

1_25.jpg

1_26.jpg

The stand is finished, ready for paint. Now for the tank, my goal is to get the water,sand and rock up and running. I'm sure the scape will take some time. After that I need to work on the hood. I need to get the lights and connect the ballast. I will be using 2x24w bulbs. Should I go with 2- 50/50's or 1-50/50 and 1-10K or 1-24W Combo (10,000°K/Blue) 1-24W 6500°K Daylight? I'm really anxious to get it going. I will be asking alot more questions and assistance. Thanks.

1_28.jpg

1_30.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have some updates to this adventure. I don't have the tank setup yet, but I'm getting real close. I completed the stand, lighting and installing loc-line. I plan to start filling with water hopefully this weekend. Hope you enjoy because I am enjoying the set-up. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Tank & Stand

bulkheadandY1_4.jpg

1/2" Loc-Line

1_31.jpg

1/2" Bulkhead & 90 to MJ1200

bulkheadandY1.jpg

bulkheadandY1_1.jpg

Remote ballast 2x24w

bulkheadandY1_2.jpg

Fuge light, fan & internal view w/ light on

bulkheadandY1_5.jpg

bulkheadandY1_6.jpg

I would remove the 6'' loc line extender and just have the two outlets. I know you would have plenty of flow. I would only remove it because I think it looks more cluttered. I had a 12g nanocube a couple years ago with the same pump and locline and it had excellent flow. I think your fuge mod is awesome and I like the work on the stand a lot. Your tank is gonna be great.

Thanks, for the comments. I've spent numerous hours on this forum reading and hopefully be able to apply the knowledge gained to this tank. I'm in the process of wiring 2 fans in the lid and will start adding water and begin scaping. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been slow going, but I finally got it setup and cycling. I still need to get a marine test kit, but I have an API freshwater kit and was wondering if some of the tests for basic water parameters were the same (ammonia, PH, nitrite, nitrate). I would appreciate any feedback on the rock scape and if I should add more, as well as if my initial parameters are acceptable. I can't wait to add livestock but I will be patient and wait till everything is correct. Thanks again for the input.

Basic setup:

10-12lbs of LR

10lbs LS

Water temp 80

PH 8.0 (using freshwater test)

Sg 1.026-1.027

post-41930-1236102449_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1236102464_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1236102482_thumb.jpg

Thanks, BumbleBee. I added another rock which I think will be good for now. I measured Ammonia tonight and had a reading .25. Looks like the cycle has begun.

Thanks

post-41930-1236128491_thumb.jpg

Update on tank cycle. I seem to be having some different types of algae growing and was looking for some advice. My parameters are:

Ammonia - .25-.5

Nitrates - 10-15

Nitrites - 0

Temp - 80

I see some green hair algae, appears to be diatoms and a red hair algae(cotton like). I did some research on cotton algae and see that Mexican turbo snails will solve this problem, but it will grow quickly if nothing is done. My question is can I add these a couple of these snails now or will they die because I'm still in the cycle process. I just don't want to get overun to bad. I would also like your opinions a what other CUC I should look for. Here are some pics showing the algae. I would appreciate you help.

Thanks,

post-41930-1236820211_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1236820226_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1236820246_thumb.jpg

post-41930-1236820263_thumb.jpg

Probably still a little too early to be looking at getting some cuc member since you still have a good bit of ammonia. Some things to consider would be hermits, nas snail, turbo snails, cerith snails, etc...

Archived