inTank Media Baskets

LBeezy's 8gal. Biocube

LBeezy

Hi, everyone.

First, I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their information. I've been cruising through this website, trying to absorb as much info as I can for the last few years. My boyfriend noticed that I wanted to try one, so he got me a 8g. Biocube for Christmas and said, "Get off your butt and do it!"

Alas, here I am. I started my cube on 1/17. Here's what I have so far:

9lbs. live rock

9lbs. black live sand

removed bioballs and cartridge filter, plus false bottom in Chamber 2

50W Hydor Theo heater in Chamber 1

stock filter and lights

I'm waiting for my Koralia nano and API Saltwater Master Test Kit. I bought the Red Sea package with salt, a hydrometer with thermometer, a ph/Alkalinity test kit and a Nitrite test kit, but I read that the tests may not be as accurate. As far as the salt and the hydrometer, I came to the conclusion that I'd like to eventually switch to Instant Ocean and get a refractometer.

Pretty much have the lights on for 9 hours and moonlights on the rest of the time.

dscn3834io2.th.jpg

Aquascape okay? The LFS only had these gigantic rocks. :huh:

Wish me luck!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:) I guess he got tired of me sitting on the computer and not talking to him. Haha.

aha, nice present. so what are you gonna add for livestock?

Lalani - Oops. Maybe it hasn't changed. I'm still on the computer. Hahaha.

fuzzy - I'm not quite sure yet. I was thinking about 2 Nassarius, 2 Asterinas, 1 hermit (not sure what kind - any suggestions?), 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 pom pom crab (eventually), keeping it simple with zoos, rics, mushrooms - whatever I can keep with stock lighting because I think my boyfriend would be insulted if I changed out the lighting immediately...I can hear him now..."You changed out the most expensive part of the tank!" - and a little goby. I'd love a yashia, but they're so pricey!

I'm scared to overstock, but definitely want it to look nice.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that the one thing I definitely learned from this site was to take it slow. So maybe that's why I haven't really thought about the livestock right now. :P

Lalani - Oops. Maybe it hasn't changed. I'm still on the computer. Hahaha.

fuzzy - I'm not quite sure yet. I was thinking about 2 Nassarius, 2 Asterinas, 1 hermit (not sure what kind - any suggestions?), 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 pom pom crab (eventually), keeping it simple with zoos, rics, mushrooms - whatever I can keep with stock lighting because I think my boyfriend would be insulted if I changed out the lighting immediately...I can hear him now..."You changed out the most expensive part of the tank!" - and a little goby. I'd love a yashia, but they're so pricey!

I'm scared to overstock, but definitely want it to look nice.

oooh, cant wait to see it, you should get a couple blueleg hermit crabs if anything and maybe a peppermint shrimp, there pretty cool.

So far so good.

Ooooh. Figured out the quote thing. Haha.

Thanks, uwwmatt. I've read up on you Biocube Resource Guide and have definitely found it helpful.

The stock you want to keep sound good, so far a good start to the hobby :] As for test kits, so far I've found API and Hagen to be the most accurate of the ones I've used. They cost a bit more up front, but they tend to last a lot longer too.

Ran my tests, and here are the results:

Ph 8.2

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0.5

Figured I'll let it run for a few more weeks before I put anything in....just to make sure. I have a very small diatom bloom (small spots on a few rocks), but nothing like I've seen on other people's tanks. And I don't think the rock I got was cured. So, like I said, I'm waiting a little while to see what else happens. :)

Thanks, DannyBoy!

Tests have now stabilized at the following params as of 2/3:

Ph: 8.2

Ammonia: 0

Nitrates: 0

Nitrites: 0

The diatom bloom is getting bigger and has covered the tops of the rocks. How much longer should I wait before getting my CUC?

Hmmm, I would wait for a week or so to make sure the params stay at zero. Then go ahead and add some snails to clean up, crabs too if you want but they do tend to knock stuff over.

• 2 weeks later...

Huge diatom outbreak, and all the params are still constant. pH 8.2, nitrates 0, nitrites 0 and ammonia 0. I got a CUC that consists of 2 nassarius snails, 3 trochus snails, 1 blue leg hermit, and 1 turbo snail. I guess a little asterina star hitchhiked on one of the snails and it's doing well.

How long should I wait for the CUC to clean up the diatoms before adding any corals?

• 3 weeks later...

Added a few things to my tank. Now I have a few rics, GSP, hammer, blue-ish anthelia (guess my PC's don't exactly show their blue), some zoos, and a few mushrooms.

DSCN3852.jpg

Archived