Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Marinebiologists 12g Nano Cube

marinebiologist

marinebiologist

this is my first sw tank. every thing is stock but i want to upgrade the lighting to a 70w viper when i get enough money.it has been running for exactly 2 weeks now and has two emerald crabs. all of the params are at 0.i had a diatom bloom a couple days after i started it and they quickly went away. about a couple days after that i had an algae bloom.

2 days ago all params were at 0 but the diatoms came back. so i did a 2 gallon wc and went and got 2 emeralds and they cleared up the tank of algae pretty good. but i still have the diatoms that are coming back.

ill get some pics up as soon as possible :happy:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though your tank is at zero nitrite it's really not smart to add some emeralds already!The tank need to cycle in first!For at least 4-5 weeks minimum!

That helps a little to get it going faster but the rock still needs to cycle in,cause removing it out of the old tank it still get's a shock and putting it in a new tank you should always see it as a brand new start,thats why you had the nitrite/nitrate/algae boom...

this is my first sw tank. every thing is stock but i want to upgrade the lighting to a 70w viper when i get enough money.it has been running for exactly 2 weeks now and has two emerald crabs. all of the params are at 0.i had a diatom bloom a couple days after i started it and they quickly went away. about a couple days after that i had an algae bloom.

2 days ago all params were at 0 but the diatoms came back. so i did a 2 gallon wc and went and got 2 emeralds and they cleared up the tank of algae pretty good. but i still have the diatoms that are coming back.

ill get some pics up as soon as possible :happy:

Diatoms live on sylicates in your tank water. Onve hey use up all the sylicates they will disappear as fast as they appeared. You will have normal algae blooms, they are also part of the cycles.

marinebiologist

here are pics from when i started it.

th_fish119.jpg

th_nanocube011.jpg

th_nanocube009.jpg

heres some of my emerald.

i dont know why but he likes to scratch his back on the sand. is that normal?

nanocube032.jpg?t=1232681070

nanocube038.jpg?t=1232681117

nanocube025.jpg?t=1232681168

Lol,don't know why he is scratching his back like that,when it happens to fish they got some parasites,maybe it's a mating ritual?And i also have some diatoms at the moment,crawling in the morning over the glass.And why did you choose crabs?Hermit crabs (blue-legged hermit crab to be preferred in sea aquariums) are smaller and don't have the tendency to nip at corals polyps.Here is some more information about them,like what you need to watch out for when they get bigger and stuff:

http://www.fishlore.com/profile-emeraldcrab.htm

marinebiologist
Lol,don't know why he is scratching his back like that,when it happens to fish they got some parasites,maybe it's a mating ritual?And i also have some diatoms at the moment,crawling in the morning over the glass.And why did you choose crabs?Hermit crabs (blue-legged hermit crab to be preferred in sea aquariums) are smaller and don't have the tendency to nip at corals polyps.Here is some more information about them,like what you need to watch out for when they get bigger and stuff:

http://www.fishlore.com/profile-emeraldcrab.htm

i picked crabs because every crab has a different personality. and if a crab starts to nip at coral or kills a shrimp ill take him back. i also read that there are good emeralds and there are bad ones. they are also a lot of fun to watch. and thank you for the link

I saw my emerald crab scratching his back as well. Shortly after he molted. I'm not sure if theres a connection, but it makes sense. Mine is a model citizen. I lucked out on a "good crab." My crab is a self made billy bad ass that lives with his hippie friend the peppermint shrimp. I smell a sitcom!

marinebiologist
I saw my emerald crab scratching his back as well. Shortly after he molted. I'm not sure if theres a connection, but it makes sense. Mine is a model citizen. I lucked out on a "good crab." My crab is a self made billy bad ass that lives with his hippie friend the peppermint shrimp. I smell a sitcom!

LOL!

i hope mine turn out to be model citizens.

marinebiologist

how do you keep chaeto in your filter? ive seed people do it with a beta light but how to make it so the light can get to them.

Archived