Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AgetupKid's Custom Shallow 8 Gallon

agetupkiddan

Custom Shallow Tank

This has been a wealth of knowledge for me. I started with a 2.5 Gallon tank, moved up to a SAIO 5.5 Gallon and after learning and reading, and learning some more, finally ventured into making my own glass, shallow tank. Here are the specs.

Dimensions

25" L x 10" W x 8" H

Equipment

Visi-Therm 25w Heater (Changing to a 50w)

Hydor Koralia Nano

Rio 90 Powerhead (Might change to another nano)

Lighting

Sunlight Supply Ready Fit 2x 24 Retro kit

Aqua-Science Bulbs

1x Special (15,000K)

1x Blue (25,000K)

My goals for this tank are to keep it very simple. I originally was going to build this tank, then in about a year, build one with identical dimensions, and create a Display/Fuge Design... We will see.

Tank Build

Many thanks to everyone who has done a tank build/thread... I studied EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I am going to try and add some tips i found useful.

Siliconing Glass

TIPS

- Tape out everything that won't be siliconed. (Keeps glass from getting fingerprinty or silicon-y)

- I bought my glass with the bottom pane 1/4 inch smaller (so the sides surround it). This was according

to a cut list from GARF (www.garf.org).

- Not sure if they suggest this for stability, but with a shallow tank i doubt its an issue.

- Since you "should" silicone in between the seams, you WILL see some smudgy silicone through the

sides (in between the bottom pane and the side pane) If you do the dimensions the other way, I

imagine you will NOT see this.

- Having someone to help you hold things as you tape (to hold the glass together after siliconing) is GOOD!

- Let the tank sit for at LEAST 24 hours to let the silicone set. I waited 48 hours, because after all, I did so

much planning before hand, what's another day?

PICS

post-18918-1232567331_thumb.jpg

Supplies. (Green Tape, Razor Blades, GE Silicone)

post-18918-1232567404_thumb.jpg

3 Sides up (Held by Green Tape, Notice the tape runs along bottom pane, to be folded upwards)

post-18918-1232567479_thumb.jpg

Finished Siliconing, Duct Tape used for extra support

post-18918-1232567518_thumb.jpg

Peeled edge tape off while silicone still wet. Not too bad for 1st time.

post-18918-1232567576_thumb.jpg

Leak test 48hrs later

Tank

After I transferred stuff over, I lost some corals (candy cane, monti).. I think the temperature might have been off a little, not sure. AquaScape was OK, I must purchase more rock to fill it out.

PICS

post-18918-1232567763_thumb.jpg

Shot with Flash on to show my ghetto hanging fixture... note: Red Climbing Cord (Personal touch as i'm a climber!)

Next DIY will be some sort of hood for the lights, but still keep open top look i think.

post-18918-1232567832_thumb.jpg

Tank Shot

post-18918-1232567864_thumb.jpg

Water Surface shot.. not sure if i have enough surface agitation.

-----------------------

That's all for now, I'm gonna clean up the rock work/ put some corals in before i take more tank shots..

Cheers everyone.

Thanks for the kind words, clownfish, i'll try and update regularly and keep this as a tank journal (i'm bad at consistency with journals!)

Ancelot: Green tape is painters tape (can be found in the paint section at HomeDepot, or whichever hardware store, they also sell it in blue. Its pretty much tape that comes off surfaces easily and rips from the roll easily.

• 1 month later...
agetupkiddan

March UPDATE:

So there hasn't been much to update, (or i've been lazy.. both are probably true)... I did figure out why I had lost corals during the switch.

- Despite being very careful to acclimate everything, ensure temperatures were right, one thing i never anticipated was that the new batch of SW I had purchased from my LFS, was waaaaay off in Salinity. I had been so used to getting all my water needs from them and everything being consistent, that I had failed to test it this time... mystery solved, and lesson learned.

- I know mix my own salt. And i'm looking for an RO/DI unit. (if you want things done right.... blah blah)

- My Bubble Coral bounced back, and my Zoa colony is showing signs of coming back too.. which is great!

- I Tired of having Chaeto placed under my rocks and having to trim them, so out of failure to locate a simple shower soap dish, I made one out of a plastic tank divider. (Pic Included)

- This weekend i think that i may go frag shopping, so more to report later.

Pictures (Excuse blown highlights on the sand!)

FULL TANK SHOT

post-18918-1236804976_thumb.jpg

CHAETO HOLDER

post-18918-1236805025_thumb.jpg

- Cheers

agetupkiddan

Macro Shots

So at the moment I am lacking a macro lens, however, there's no reason a magnifying glass can't help a camera lens see things bigger too!

Same Corals.. little closer.

BLASTO

post-18918-1237234414_thumb.jpg

FAVITES (I believe this is what it is... Moon Coral = Favites?)

post-18918-1237234491_thumb.jpg

agetupkiddan

- Thank you Lalani! (Means a lot coming from ya!)

- Carinya, Thank you! So many awesome custom tanks on this, eventually you just have to!

- Going to LFS tomorrow after my morning class. Hopefully I will have something new to show!

- Anyone want to correct me, or re-affirm that green coral i labeled Favites, is really that? It wasn't labeled but i was pretty sure that's what it was!

- Cheers... oh and Happy St. Patty's!

agetupkiddan

Thank you Gerber, It was in a clearance tank for $20 (Cdn)... I dunno if that was over-priced or not, but I'm of the opinion that if something costs $20 in the Saltwater world, and makes me happy... i'll buy it!

joel sandoman

When you built the tank did you put dowels under the bottom piece per the directions from Garf? I am wondering the point of that.

agetupkiddan

Joel - No, i didn't put dowels underneath. That part confused me, and from what i remember, it also states the bottom of the glass should be fully supported. So i just had the tank on a larger sized shelf with newspaper on the bottom. Worked out just fine.

Mariosreef - Another Ontario reefer! Thanks for the kind words!

-Cheers everyone

agetupkiddan

Small Update - New "Canopy"

Well, its sort of a canopy, only my lights are still suspended, and i suppose my tank is still open top-ish..

I had purchased this wood awhile ago, and new i'd use it for this tank in some way.

There are 2 sheets of paper on top, they are only there to test. My theme/idea is a Japanese inspired top. (In that I want to combine the idea of rice paper and wood), I would like light to leak through the top like a Japanese Lantern. I have a few ideas kicking around about doing this.

post-18918-1237942351_thumb.jpg

Here is a closer shot... I also re-arranged my rock work, and condensed my equipment inside the tank.

Next steps are to add some corals. I have a few prospects on the way...

post-18918-1237942536_thumb.jpg

Hey great tank !!!

I like the custom "lowness" of it... Really makes the thing look nice. Your corals are also really nice.

agetupkiddan

Ajmckay - Thank you, I was inspired by so many other tanks on this site with that custom "lowness"! In fact i'll name a few, as they inspirations for this build.

1. Circusordie16 - Awesome setup, pretty much started me on this build - Link

2. mathias999us - Very cool, and informed me of Calvin's tank on RC - Mathias999us

3. Calvin's Very Cool

4. MacheteAvenue's Cusom 24 g shallow - A beauty

I thank all those above threads (and numerous others) as I learned so much from them.

- Not much else to report. I am really happy with things at the moment. Should have new stuff this weekend!

• 2 weeks later...
agetupkiddan

Hahah yuup, i think it was like 49 bucks! not shabby!

Lowrider fish club for sure... also, band name avatar club?? haha (i'm assuming you like Machete Ave. well.. formally known as... )??

MacheteAvenue

haha ya i used to like them.. not so much anymore i just dont feel like making a new acount and i dont know if you can change your user name?

got any updated pictures of the tank?

agetupkiddan

Update

Patience

Things have been busy in life, although I have been patient (and cautious) with the tank. Which, I am proud of.

One thing i have learned over the years of both FW and SW tank keeping, patience is a virtue in this hobby.

Sometimes i feel that i have been overly cautious... as is the case of purchasing a RO/DI unit! But i have finally done so, (for $50 used!) only catch is i believe i need a new membrane (which i have found a source for in the GTA, and it'll only cost $37 + shipping... much cheaper for the IDENTICAL FilmTec membrane sold at LFS!!) So soon enough i will be off the LFS water!

On the other hand, I am happy that I have resisted rushing livestock into this tank. I almost can't believe that i've kept a SW tank for a solid year and a half (if not 2 years, i can't remember), and yet have not bought a single fish! I suppose it shows how many other interesting forms of life exist in this hobby.

I have, however...... added these very nice red zoas!

post-18918-1239655548_thumb.jpg

post-18918-1239655555_thumb.jpg

I've been having trouble matching white balance to the tank, however, these are pretty close (might be a deeper red! i'm also having trouble figuring out the optimal angle for my laptop when retouching photos! soooo this could very well be quite dark on your screen....or quite light... damnit..)

Either way, they're great colours! The rock they came on was kind of split (needed a bit of help/razor blade) but i made 2 colonies, and after seperating them in the tank, found this was the best spot.

I am already seeing growth with them!

This is what the tank looks like now.. i am happy with the left side rock work... the right side will need some changing. Also i have removed the hood... as much as i enjoyed how it looked, and how it cut back the light spill.... i'm just a sucker for an open top.

post-18918-1239655803_thumb.jpg

This is a closer shot of the left side.. sort of a rounded, opera-house seating look is what i went for..

I plan on zoas along the back, and sps off the rock on the right which is the tallest (and lacking colour).

post-18918-1239655893_thumb.jpg

--------------------------------------------

These are my goals for the next little bit: (in no particular order)

1. Build my own HOB (CPR style) fuge.

2. place any small rock/ chaeto in said fuge.

3. Add another Sunlight Supply ReadyFit Light (2x24w... for bulb options)

4. Add more Cerith snails... the one i have is amazing and works so hard.

5. Remove bubble algae...which my Emerald Crab chooses not to eat, he can take lessons from Cerith.

6. Add more zoas/corals.

-thanks for lookin

Archived