Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Aquapod 12

Clavius85

Hey everybody! I'm new to the forums (although I've been lurking for quite awhile). I just got my hands on an Aquapod 12 gallon, so I guess this thread will be my "journey" with it. It's a used one I bought for $75 off Craigslist. The seller used it for about 6 months while putting together a 125g tank. There's a small scratch on the glass. But other than that it's in excellent condition.

FTS (9.28.09):

DSCF1443.jpg?t=1254688348

Fish:

• 2 Ocellaris Clowns
  • 1 Six-Line Wrasse

Inverts:

• 1 Peppermint Shrimp
  • 1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • 10 Dwarf Cerith Snails
  • 6 Nassarius Snails
  • 3 Florida Cerith Snails
  • 1 Zebra Turbo
  • Several Micro Brittle Stars and Feather Dusters

Corals:

• Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoas
    Green Eye Purple Zoas
    Kenya Tree Coral
    GSP
    Green Nepthea
    Leather Coral
    Ricordeas
    Hammer Coral

age.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you got a good deal on your AP12. Definitely block the lower and middle intakes. This will increase surface skimming. If you don't you'll get scum on the top of you water.

You might also think about turning chamber 2 or 3 into a refugium. If you're not ready for that, then you can do it after your tank is set up.

Looks like you got a good deal on your AP12. Definitely block the lower and middle intakes. This will increase surface skimming. If you don't you'll get scum on the top of you water.

What's the best way to do so? Thanks.

A lot of people glue pieces of a CD case over the intakes. You could also put silicone over it. Whatever you do, try to do it from inside chamber 1, so you don't have anything obtrusively looking in your display.

I just used clear outlet plug cover that were made so baby safety. They still let some water through, but overtime, they get clogged up with stuff and coralline grows over them.

I tried the whole peel-the-back-and-put-a-light refugium-on-reverse-cycle-with-chaeto for the back chambers, but algae grows over the glass and you have to scrape it. In the end, I didn't think it was worth the effort or made too big of a difference. Same goes with putting LR rubble in the back chambers. Feel free to try it though.

I just used clear outlet plug cover that were made so baby safety. They still let some water through, but overtime, they get clogged up with stuff and coralline grows over them.

I tried the whole peel-the-back-and-put-a-light refugium-on-reverse-cycle-with-chaeto for the back chambers, but algae grows over the glass and you have to scrape it. In the end, I didn't think it was worth the effort or made too big of a difference. Same goes with putting LR rubble in the back chambers. Feel free to try it though.

The refugium made a big difference for me. Yes, you have to keep the glass clean, but my nitrates when from a consistent 5 to a consistent zero.

I cut a piece of a DVD case and slid it down in chamber 1, held it in place with a portion of the stock sponge, and topped that with filter floss. Chamber 2 has a submersible LED, and some chaetomorpha. Chamber 3 currently contains more filter floss, and a 5oz bag of chemi-pure. Chamber 4 is a maxi-jet 1200 pump and a 25w heater.

About the only things I can say that I would do differently, is to block both of the vents in chamber one, and maybe go with the MJ900...

Excellent, thanks for your help guys. I'm working on blocking the two intake ports right now and am slowly collecting what I need to move forward. Once I get my live rock I'll probably set the tank up FOWLR for the foreseeable future. I have more to read (and $$$ to save) before moving on to reef. I'll resurrect this thing the next time I have something interesting to post... or a dumb noob question. ;)

Again, thanks.

• 1 month later...

Rock Added!

Got a deal on some beautiful LR from a guy in the area. It looks great and it's exciting to finally get this thing started. My only concern is that I maybe don't have enough LR, at least for aquascaping purposes. Thoughts?

I've got a queston about the ap 12 i have one and it only has one fan can you check ur tank and see if it has 1 or 2 fans and tell me the answer.

Yeah, I definitely think you need more rock. How many pounds is that?

I'm not exactly sure to be honest. I might take it out and weigh all of it. I should have done that to begin with but I was excited.

I've got a queston about the ap 12 i have one and it only has one fan can you check ur tank and see if it has 1 or 2 fans and tell me the answer.

Mine only had 1 fan. And I removed it.

+1 More rock. About one pound per gallon...

BTW, I like that deep sand bed.

Thanks. That was kind of by accident. It was a 15lb bag of CaribSea Aragamax. I hadn't planned on using all of it but I just got carried away. Should I remove some of it?

Thanks for your comments guys. And I'll definitely try and get some more rock. B)

BTW, there is life!

Alright, I managed to get some more live rock. Here's my first serious aquascape after playing around with it for awhile. What do you guys think?

FTS

Found a feather duster worm on a piece of my new live rock. This is so cool!

DSCF0401.jpg?t=1237233287

The micro brittle star I rescued from my chaeto container.

IMG_0688.jpg?t=1237233301

Looks good. I still believe you need more live rock. Check out www.premiumaquatics.com They will ship to your house for 10 buck and you will get it the next day. They are in Indy. I got my rock for my 12 gallon AP. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180612 There is the thread about it. I am working on a fuge pod for these tanks. Its gonna be a removable pod that will make cleaning and servicing your fuge media a breeze.

What pump are you running? I am gonna pick up a maxijet 900 hopefully tomorrow. I should be getting my corals back from a friend soon. I cannot wait to get some color back into the tank.

j

Looks good. I still believe you need more live rock. Check out www.premiumaquatics.com They will ship to your house for 10 buck and you will get it the next day. They are in Indy. I got my rock for my 12 gallon AP. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180612 There is the thread about it. I am working on a fuge pod for these tanks. Its gonna be a removable pod that will make cleaning and servicing your fuge media a breeze.

What pump are you running? I am gonna pick up a maxijet 900 hopefully tomorrow. I should be getting my corals back from a friend soon. I cannot wait to get some color back into the tank.

j

There's another big piece of LR back behind the piece on the left. I hope it'll be enough. But if I did end up buying more I would definitely go with premiumaquatics. I might re-do the aquascape. I just haven't figured out mentally another way to arrange everything.

I replaced the stock pump with an MJ900.

I checked out your thread. Your rock work looks great. I'll keep tabs on your thread. B)

• 2 weeks later...
looks good, so what are your stocking plans and what are your lights :)

Thanks! Right now I'm using the stock Aquapod lights. But I'm hoping to get my hands on a SunPod sometime in the future. As for stocking I'm planning on either two ocellaris clowns, or one clown and a firefish. I haven't decided yet. And then maybe later on something really small like a clown goby. We'll see. Thanks for looking! B)

For my first fish I went with something simple, a little blue/green Chromis. He/She is a pretty cool fish and loves to be out in the open.

DSCF0466.jpg?t=1237598785

DSCF0468.jpg?t=1237598952

• 2 weeks later...

I got two new fish yesterday! Unfortunately, the Ocellaris Clown didn't make it through the night. It must have been ill because my water is good and I was very careful in acclimating both fish. I'm really bummed out about it. But this Firefish is pretty amazing.

DSCF0582.jpg?t=1238875193

DSCF0597.jpg?t=1238875966

Archived