Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Paleo's Reef

Paleoreef103

I've had it up and running with live rock for about a year (Jan 2008), but I didn't add anything else until June (2008). So here is my Reef!

Stats:

Nanocube 24 w/ 250W AquaMedic Pendant featuring 14K phoenix bulb

1 Maxijet 1200 (third chamber)

1 Korialla Nano

Vortech MP10

Stealth 100W

JBJ Surface Skimmer

First Chamber

Filterfloss, 100 W stealth

Second Chamber

Sapphire Skimmer

Third chamber

MJ1200, MJ404 plumbed to TLF Phosban reactor running Chemi-Pure Elite

JBJ Autotopoff RO/DI

Daily

8 mL each of B-Ionic 2 part solution daily

0.2 mL of 80 proof vodka

2 drops MB7

1 mL DTs phyto

1 mL Oysterfeast

Weekly

5 gallon water change every week to ten days (Tunze salt)

15 mL of B-Ionic Magnesium

0.5 mL Kent's essential elements

Livestock list

SPS

Acroporas (Pink Mille (supposedly, more lemon-limey), Blue purple Acropora sp., Purple Acropora plana?, Green with blue tip acro, ORA Pearlberry, ORA Roscoe's Blue, ORA Red Planet, ORA Miami Orchid)

Montipora (Blue polyped encrusting monti, Orange Cap (several areas with it), strawberry patch cap, Purple Digitata, Green Digitata, Elkhorn, purple polyped monti, tiny frag of purple haze monti, Sunset Monti, and some rainbow)

Porites

2 Echinophyllia ( One blue and one magma)

2 Seriatopora (Tubbs purple polyp and ORA green polyp both small)

LPS

Favia (Tan with green centers, Pale blue and red War Coral, Painted War Coral, Iceman Favia), Acan (6 lords and two echino including Orange Crush), Duncan, Caulastrea, Euphyllia, 2 Micromussa (one green and red the other blue with green centers)

Softies:

20 color morphs of zoas and Palys, blue snowflake polyps, one blue Ricordia, and one green Ricordia.

Octocorals

2 gorgs

Non corals

True Percula, Bangaii Cardinal, Royal Gramma, Baby Black and White Occ Clown, various snails and some blue leg hermits

side.jpg

Current FTS (8/15/09)

post-32810-1231895423_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1231895455_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1231895588_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1231895631_thumb.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks very nice! That fuge on the side would drive me nuts. It is hilarious to watch dogs and cats with tanks. My cat was able to balance all 4 paws on the rim of my solana and watch from the top down, untill her ear touched the halide....no mas fishies for her!

looking good. So, are you a studying paleontology? When I was really small, that was my dream job after watching Jurassic Park.

matty ha. Yeah. The tank itself is in the corner of the room so the fuge on the side doesn't really bother me. My goal was to make it as nice as possible from the two visible sides. The emperor converted pretty easy into the fuge. I saw what a bunch of nanoreefers were doing with Aquaclear 110s and just ripped off the idea. So far no complaints. Monroe required I put some light diffuser over the tank so she didn't sip the saltwater!

Lakshwadeep. I'm kind of studying paleontology. I'm technically in a paleo program, but I'm more doing biology and carbonate petrology. I'm researching how the microstructure of coral is affected by differing environmental factors. I did however work four summers at a dig site in Wyoming that was Jurassic age. Pretty neat stuff. Dug out six sauropod femurs. A couple of them were bigger than me! (which is pretty damn big) Great experience. Collected a couple of hundred dinosaur, fish, amphibian, and croc bones for study at UW Madison.

I'm planning on subbing out a couple of brown frags in here and am in the process of getting a few more SPS and Zoa frags, but I'm pretty set on the coral department. I think I'll add another fish when my skimmer gets in. Haven't really decided on what yet though. Any suggestions?

I'm always willing to hear suggestions on what kind of stuff I should add. I think another encrusting monti would be nice and a few more rare zoas (I drool every time I see Geddons, AoGs, nuke greens, or other high end zoas).

One more thing. Anyone near me in Iowa City? I'd love to compare notes so to speak.

I'll post more pictures in the next couple of days.

Here are a couple of more pictures that I have laying around. I'm still looking for suggestions on a third fish to put into my tank! B) Also I was thinking about adding some more supplemental lighting to the tank. Thoughts?

post-32810-1231952803_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1231953051_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1231953128_thumb.jpg

I'm kinda new here. I've posted a few times, but I decided I needed to share my tank. I've had it up and running with live rock for about a year, but I didn't add anything else until June. So here is my Reef!

Stats:

Nanocube 24 w/ Viper K2 (Phoenix 14K 150W)

1 Maxijet 1200 w/ Hydno-Flo

2 Korialla Nano

Emperor 280 converted to refugium (Chaeto and LR)

Stealth 100W

Filterfloss, Chemipure, Purigen

JBJ Autotopoff

Sapphire Skimmer is on the way!

Livestock list

SPS

5 Acroporas (Green and Pink Mille, Green slimer, unided ugly brown frag, ORA Blue Bottlebrush)

3 Montipora (rainbow, Orange Cap, Orange something, random ugly)

Pocillipora

Echinophyllia

LPS

Favia, Cyphastrea, Micromussa, Galaxea, Acans, Duncan, Candycane

Softies:

Tubs Blue, Green zoas, Organisms, Pink zoas

Non corals

True Percula, Bangaii Cardinal, Peppermint Shrimp, various snails and some blue leg hermits

Yeah, the emperor on the side doesn't look appealing. You can have the same effect if you just leave the chaeto behind the rockwork and let the viper take care of the rest.

More pictures. One of them has the blenny that jumped. He was great. His favorite place to hide was inside the seaweed clip...

Also an awesome effect from the top down and a nice picture of my Ricordia. Maybe if I can find them I'll post some pictures from my old 15 gallon tank..... It had a frogfish!

post-32810-1231971951_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1231972000_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1231972042_thumb.jpg

So I got my sapphire skimmer set up on my aquarium now. So far it's pretty awesome. No microbubbles! Pulling out some decent skimmate too. I'm thinking about adding some more corals... maybe a green digitata or some new zoas (I'm thinking some kedds redds or some icefires...) and a new fish. Right now though I figured I'd post some pictures of the tank I gave away in Madison. It was a frogfish 15 reef. Turned out really well I think! It was lit by a single satellite 65W PC and the only water movement was my emperor 280, but it was great for softies with a frogspawn, a scroll coral, a candycane, and a favia. I hope you like it. I miss it. I'm thinking about setting up another tank like that for my girlfriend, but with a 4X24 T5s and make it a 20 gallon long AIO (couple of MJ 900 or one MJ900 and a Korialla nano)

post-32810-1232305460_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232305468_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232305478_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232305487_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232305498_thumb.jpg

I just ordered the specimens for my school project and piggy backed an order of four more corals for my tank. I'm going to add a purple porites, an elkhorn monti, a green digitata, and a pink birdsnest. I'll post pictures as soon as I get them.

So I went on got a two new things in addition to what I said I was getting tomorrow (I think after my order tomorrow it'll be time to just let it grow). A new fishy and a new coral! The new fish is a royal gramma which is getting along great with the other two fishies in the tank. No real shyness anymore. It is out and about and is not at all aggressive towards the clown and the cardinal. I like him. The new coral is a beautiful green frogspawn with purple tips. It's pretty much a clone of the first coral I ever bought (in the old tank that I gave away). Also here is a pick of the tank in the room and a couple of other shots I liked.

I'll post more pictures tomorrow when I get new corals in!

post-32810-1232591242_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232591367_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232591396_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232591458_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232591493_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232591531_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232591565_thumb.jpg

Thanks Gerber! Don't worry, I'm keeping my eye on him. He's the last fish I'm going to add and the other fish are very well established in the tank. This and the fact that they really don't spend much time near his hole (they prefer being up and about more), means I think it'll in be fine. He hasn't taken a swing at any of them even, when the cardinal was floating pretty close to him.

4 New Corals today! I got two new Montiporas (Elkhorn and digitata), a thick branch birdsnest, and a purple porites. Everything seems happy so far! The Gramma has been good also. He gaped at the shrimp when it came into his cave, but that's about it.

post-32810-1232679050_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232679085_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232679111_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232679154_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232679181_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1232679216_thumb.jpg

So I just found my bicolor blenny that I thought had jumped out of the tank. I guess he was hiding in the back chambers even though I checked there several times. The story didn't end happily though cause the little guy got sucked into the skimmers pump. Poor little guy. :(

I really like you build. It is pretty cool how patint you have been with your hole build. Ptretty nice to wait a full year before adding corals. You must be a paleo student. Youv'e got the patience to dig out bones, you could wait for sps stocking after looking at rock for a year. nice job.

I studied paleo sols and miocene grasses in undergrad here at UO. Loved it but became a teacher in grad school. Now I teach science :D

nice tank and keep up the good work!!

Thanks!

Though, I only stared at rocks for about six months. The JBJ bulb that came with my viper burned out pretty quick (as in less than a hundred hours burn time), so I waited for a while to buy a new bulb. The first SPS was at about the eighth month. Now I've got a lot of them!

One of the guys in the department here is from UO, but their are two from O state. Personally, I laugh at them. (Go badgers even though they suck)

We need more good science teachers. It's definitely a noble calling.

• 2 weeks later...

Woof! So I was unhappy with the way a couple of my corals looked, so I did some testing and found some higher nitrates. As I had recently sucked up the gunk in my rear chambers I figured it might be time to do something on my emperor refugium. I cut back the Chaeto only to get stung by a bristle worm (who then got a leatherman to the face). Once I got all that out I found a ridiculous amount of gunk at the bottom of my filter. Seriously, gross stuff. I would be shocked if that wasn't the problem. Oh well, I cleaned it up and put the tank back together. I'll do a water change later today and see how everything turns out. Wish me luck. Oh yeah. I'll post pictures of my Rosy Millepora and my new zoos. They were sold as fire and ice, but I don't think they are. They have a blue green center with a solid reddish purple remainder of the disc and a reddish skirt. I'll post pictures when I find my camera cable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

OK. So big update. I have pictures of four new corals! A new Acan, two zoos, and an ORA Rose Mille. I'm still thinking about upgrading the flow in the tank as I think it would help the health of my SPS. Maybe a new Tunze nanostream 6025?

post-32810-1237038240_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1237038291_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1237038308_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1237038320_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1237038354_thumb.jpg

Archived