Top Shelf Aquatics

One Hundred Miles Apart

quy_nquyen

I've finally decided to get back into reefing after being forced to sell my 20L during last spring. Just incase anyone is interested, i went on a humanitarian mission to south east Asia during the summer, which was why i had to sell the tank. Long story short, i helped a lot of people, put smiles on many faces and received a congressional award. (sorry, im just really proud).

This time i have set up 2 different tanks--one at home and one at my college apartment in San Diego. The tank at home now belongs to my brother which i will refer to as "LA tank".

Here are a few specs for the "LA tank"

12g Nanocube with 70w sunpod

--- i need to get a new bulb. Im thinking of a 14k Ushio

~10lbs of LR

~8lbs of LS

~ 1 Nemo

~ 4 snails

Here are some pics of the "LA Tank"

09111.jpg

0911.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

Now for the "SD Tank"

24g Aquapod with 150w sunpod

~18w Coralite to light up the fuge(filter chamber of the ap)

~21lbs of LR

~I think 20 lbs of LS (came in one of those bag :P )

~no livestock yet as tank is still cycling

~I used PVC to support my liverock scaping (let me know what you think)

~This WILL be a Nemo tank. (being young and hormonal i allowed my girl friends at UCSD to pick the live stock.... i know... i know... i just cant help being weak :happy: )

On with the pictures.

DSC_0371.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1546-1.jpg

[IMG_1545.jpg

Any comments or questions are welcomed. I will not (should not) be updating on a daily basis, but i will try to update at least once a week with pictures when possible.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

holy shnap....that some niceeeee rockaquascaping...especially on your "SD" tank...love that overhang.

and good work in asia and congrats on your cong. award. ill be tagin along. good luck!

i agree with the sd rock scape but i wish you took the time to take off the zip ties or found a way without the ties showing. congrats with the award!

Originally i tried to drill a 1/2 inch hole through all the rocks, but the drill i had kept getting stuck. That's why i decided to make tiny holes for which i could use zip ties to hold up the scape i wanted.

Eventually the ties will be covered by corals,

very nice!! i love the overhanging scape!! i would get rid of the zip ties though. i use them everyday atwork, and they arent the most trustworthy things. and after a while they will become brittle, in a couple years but still. you could use a carbide tipped masonry bit, it should go thru the rock fairly easy, then u could put some acrylic rods thru the rock. then it would be totally hidden, and look really natural!! good job though!

very nice!! i love the overhanging scape!! i would get rid of the zip ties though. i use them everyday atwork, and they arent the most trustworthy things. and after a while they will become brittle, in a couple years but still. you could use a carbide tipped masonry bit, it should go thru the rock fairly easy, then u could put some acrylic rods thru the rock. then it would be totally hidden, and look really natural!! good job though!

I believe that i was using a carbide tipped masonry bit. It went through the rock that I'm using for the overhang without any problem, but got stuck and slipped each time i tried to go through the other rocks that appears red in color.

Looks really good. I like the overhand. Not so much the zip ties(but on the other hand they'll be covered up with coralline eventually)

Nice tank. :happydance:

(being young and hormonal i allowed my girl friends at UCSD

Player. ;)

Anyways, your rock scape is amazing. Will be tagging along.

Thanks for the comments everyone

glad to have you joining us PerculaClown.

I did a water test tonight and my cycle seems to be at its end.

IMG_1551.jpg

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: anywhere between 5 and 20ppm (i might be a bit colorblind :huh: )

Now the fun begins. Within the next few weeks i "think" i'll be getting a Tunzes 9002 skimmer and a module to add Ca, and Alk

I also "might" be picking up a 6 head dendro. I didnt really dont to buy 6 heads (I want to spend money on other things too), so IF i buy it would anyone like a small frag of 1-2 heads of the dendro?

edit: i mixed Nitrate and Nitrite

The harlequin shrimp is definitely not for the light hearted. My shrimp is feeding on the star out in the open, so i'll try to snap a picture later when the lights come on.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: anywhere between 5 and 20ppm (i might be a bit colorblind :huh: )

...nope, the 5 and 10 on that kit look almost the same to everyone I know.

dude youre back....thanks for the 20L btw I love it man. Glad to see you returned safely from youre trip and you enjoyed it.

thanks, I cant wait to see your tank stocked up!

Does anyone know if my dendro will become more orange? The skirts are short and white... i hope they turn orange and grow longer

IMG_1591.jpg

Edit: spelling

end of week update

IMG_0796.jpg

still nothing except inverts in the tank. Two drew's dosing pump came yesterday. I have all the equip needed for sps, except a bottle of Ca,and Alk x]

i'll get another pic when the dendro is open.

Just added a few more frags to the tank. Let me know what you think.

IMG_0802-1.jpg

IMG_0807-1.jpg

I also got 4 rics and a really orange paly. I'll get a picture of those some other time.

Ooh I really like your aquascaping. You should move the dendro into the shade it may like it better since they tend to be found in dark areas in the wild. It should get more orange and the tentacles more yellow it looks a little faded right now. Very nice tank, what are your plans for fish?

Funky scaping, really out of the norm. :)

Thanks Lalani

Ooh I really like your aquascaping. You should move the dendro into the shade it may like it better since they tend to be found in dark areas in the wild. It should get more orange and the tentacles more yellow it looks a little faded right now. Very nice tank, what are your plans for fish?

Thanks for the dendro tips. I have moved it under the overhang.

As of right now I have a black and white clown. Im waiting for an Onyx. I might also throw in an lyretail anthia.

oh hai, fellow triton.

your cap is super cute.

and that's not trieste is it?!

Hey Mew! I currently live at Costa Verde. Which apt or dorm are you in?

Picked up a few frags today from the fish store and er1c_the_reefer (eric really hooked it up). Enjoy the pics.

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_08091.jpg

(guess which zoo that is :naughtydance: )

IMG_08121.jpg

IMG_08131.jpg

IMG_08251.jpg

IMG_08261.jpg

I couldnt get pics of eric's sps (I suck at taking pics, so all of the sps pics came out overexposed. The Tunze 9002 skimmer keeps overflowing with water so i need to contact them about the problem. :unsure:

Looks like i'm not the only one up. Also a Triton =D

Tank looks amazing, any suggestions on where to get supplies in SD? Only place I have seen LR so far is Aquatic Warehouse in Convoy at 6.99$/lb ?? Any help appreciated. Thanks

How do you like UCSD?

I got my rocks from ATA in artesia -- 3 dollars a lb. (Im not a big fan of the people that work there, but they have rocks for a cheap price. This would only be a good idea if you're from LA because it'll be on your way home. Other than that, check out the link below. Give them a call and see who in SD has the best price.

http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/showthre...ego+fish+stores

you can also check out sdreefs.com. Every now and then someone get out of the hobby and will sell rocks for a really cheap price.

Archived