Cultivated Reef

Steve's 10 gal build diy everything

steve0xr

Ok here we go,

I was going to wait and start posting the build when I was ready to add livestock, but unfortunatly some problems with the dog has left me with some big puppy bills and the 10 gal reef proj. is put on hold. So check out what I have so far and let me know what you think, everything in this tank is DIY so I've been working quitea while just to get this far.

new1_010sm.JPG

tank and stand- the stand was built with 1" pine

new1_011sm.JPG

overflow- made from an old cd case holder. the overflow at one time looked great but then i decided i wanted to lower the water level so i cut the notches lower with the overflow in place. Now it looks like sh*t. But thats my bad planning, you'll notice it'll be a theme in this thread.

new1_012sm.JPG

DIY return- made from sprinkler system piping

new1_013sm.JPG

Plumbing- the pvc is the overflow piping and the black is sprinkler system piping for the returns

new1_014sm.JPG

5.5 gal sump - middle chamber will be the refugium

new1_017sm.JPG

DIY 70w mh parts- bought from a fellow nr member Thanks Jer!

new1_018sm.JPG

Wider view of my 1st floor check out the 75 gal in the back, and the pup taking advantage of the sun spot. Pre operation pic of the dog.

new1_021sm.JPG

DIY skimmer based on a how-to that I read on this fourm. The powerhead used is from a fussion nano skimmer.

new1_022sm.JPG

Another full shot with mh on. Pre live rock and sand

new1_023sm.JPG

DIY mh completed, well almost.

The tank has sence been aquascaped, live rock and live sand added I'll snap some more pics next week when iget backto nj.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my tank feel free to leave you comments suggestions ect. Pretty much all my ideas have come from nr members.

Hey you are pretty handy! :P what do you have in the 75g is it FW?

I know what it is like to have to take the doggie to the vet $$$$

Maria

Right now my clown, firefish, royal gama and clean-up crew have the whole 75 to themselves. After i get the 10 going and move them over I would like to make it an agressive SW. Any ideas on cool fish to keep?

Yeah those dogs are tuff. Mine ate a glove and needed surgery to remove it, after all is said and done. I have about $4,000 in bills to pay off.

Yes but there is no rebuying "your" dog.

Heres a pic of her after the operation all drugged up so she dosent rip her stitches.

new2_084sm.JPG

grovernorsnr

Its good to hear ya love life and do go that extra mile for your pets im sure your dog appreciates it.. When ever I sold a litter of pups (wiener dogs non papered, red) I always sold them for above cost. I figured that if someone will pay extra for the dog they would make good parents I stated as much to all. That way I wouldnt worry if my grand children went to inadequate homes and never received medical care.

As far as the tank goes it looks spot on (except that maybe you should center the tank with the wall hanging.) good job.

As for a recommendation on an aggressive saltwater pick, Id get a snowflake eel. They may to eat crabs and snails though Ive read.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=131

And round it off with a variety of frogfish

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=131

Big turbo snails and large crabs wold be safe as a cuc id think.

Toss in some anemone maybe a percula pair and hardy crab safe corals to round it all off.

Thanks for the kind words guys, and all the ideas for the agressive tank. It' will be a tough decision. I do like those snowflake eels, but ill have to do some more research. Will a perc pair survive with the snowflake?

And the reason the tank is off centered in the wall is because I'm making a side cabinet to hold the electrical connections, ATO, and some supplies. It'll be a while until thats done though.

Ok Update Time.

I'm back from VT and it seems that a little alge bloom has started. Also my diy skimmer isn't performing so hot so I think its time for a redesign. While I'm working on the skimmer I stuck in a sea clone that I had laying around. I also started working on the box I'm using to house all electrical connections. And to top things off I took off the cabinet door for some minor repairs :lol: Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

fulltankshot2jan09sm.JPG

tankelecinprogsm.JPG

TankJan09sm.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, well I grabbed a few snails and they cleaned up the algae nicely.

Added a 65k bulb to the fuge and a friend hooked me up with some cheato.

And finished electrical box.

Almost time to start stocking.....

elcbox4sm.JPG

elcbox5sm.JPG

looking good

i like the cd case overflow! seriously!

Thanks, I wish I cut the notches deeper the first time. It looked alot better before I butchered it. :angry:

Its either this pump

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=41287

or something very similar, just your basic cheapo (it was so cheap I bought 2 so I have a back-up) submersible pump. It has two outlets, each back bottom corner of the tank. That combined with one koralia nano gives me plenty of flow.

I've been meaning to update, I have a clown and some zoas in there now but my camera broke so have to get my hands on a camera to get some pics.

Thanks for checkin out my thread.

Deleted User 6
Thanks, the light is held up with 1/2" stainless tubing. and the elbow on the end is 1/2" compression to 1/2" threaded pipe.

Did the tubing come bent like that or did you do the bending?

• 1 month later...

Well my camera is still broke but I borrowed my sisters to get a few shots.

zoas3-17-09.JPG

tankstandlight3-17-09.JPG

sump3-17-09.JPG

fts3-17-09-2.JPG

fts3-17-09-1.JPG

fish3-17-09.JPG

candycane3-17-09.JPG

Questions, comments, concerns?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't had any jumpers yet. The clown and cardinal I've had for 3 years and the royal gamma about a year. Maybe I'm just lucky.

FishHeaded

Looks good :) Does your clowns ever bully the other fish? I've always wanted a third fish for my 10 but I'm afraid my clowns will just kill em :(

Love the tank and the creativity. Ever going to add actinic supplementation? I wasn't truly happy with my tank until I did. Keep up the good work though!

Archived