Coral Vue Hydros

Cowboy's 20L build

CowboyRWN

064.jpg

OK. After researching on NR for over a year, I think I am ready to get my first SW tank. I have had FW in the past, but always wanted to do a reef tank. I plan on taking my time to set this system up an it may take me awhile to get it going, but I can be patient. I will be doing a 20L display with a 10 gallon sump/refugium. I am thinking about drilling two 3/4 returns and a 1 inch drain. I am going to have my LFS do the drilling, rather than attempt it myself. I figure they know what they are doing and can offer some advice about placement of the bulkheads. I have thought about lighting and I am thinking T-5's. My fish room is in my bonus room/office above my garage and it gets hot here in TN. I think a MH will be two much. I am going to make my stand myself and cover it in Red Oak. I think i will have an open top with no canopy. Any advice would be great. Thanks for looking.

Newtank.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will have a skimmer and probably some kind of DIY ATO system. I have started on the stand and hope to have enough done to post some pics later. I am waiting on my brother's mitre saw.

I am thinking of ordering some black ABS sheet for my baffels and overflow. Does anyone have any opinions of ABS versus Acrylic? I can order a 1/4 inch 24"x48" sheet for around $35. Will silicone stick to ABS?

If you can get black PVC that would be good. I think ABS can leech things into your tank. That's why ABS is only used on drainage piping in your house rather than plumbing pipes.

I'm not 100% sure on that but you should check it out..

Can't wait to see the stand, I need some ideas for mine. your drain/return/sump ideas are exactly what I have in mind too..

I was finally able to work on my stand today. I got all the framing done. Now I just need to work on the finish carpentry. I picked up the oak plywood and hope to have it skinned tomorrow and start on the trim later this week. The framing of the stand is a bit of overkill, but I want it to last for awhile. My tank is at my LFS being drilled and I will get it on Tuesday. I hope to be staining the stand this weekend and plumbing next week.

I made the top and bottom frame first to make it easier to keep plumb.

Topframe.jpg

Clampinglegs.jpg

I am using lag bolts and wood glue for the legs. (waterproof) I had to use a spade bit and washers to sink the lags because I will be skinning it with oak plywood.

Lagbolts.jpg

Finalframing.jpg

If anyone cares the dimensions are 31.5" W x 13.5" D x 31.5" H. II also recommend the select studs. It is worth the few extra bucks to have straight wood.

This is SOOO similar to a system upgrade I just started.

Like you, I have a 20L with a 10g sump/refugium which I will also be using as a frag grow out tank.

I am using a 4 x 24w T5HO fixture that I just got on clearance from HelloLights.com for $100. You should check, I think they still have a few. I just put the new upgraded bulbs in the fixture tonight, and they look GOOD.

I have a Nano-Remora skimmer on the 20L along with a Koralia 1 and a MJ600.

Boy do I wish I had the skills to build a stand like you are. My tank/s will be sitting on my kitchen counter.

Anyway, GL with this, and check out that T5HO fixture at HelloLights.com.

BTW, I live in TN too.

Where is Arlington?

Thanks for the compliment Weetie, coming from a veteran like you means a lot. I have been reading your thread for awhile. I might be willing to trade a stand for some frags. Arlington is 25 miles east of Memphis. Thanks for the tip on the fixture, I will check it out.

i love the 20L, here in canada i cant seem to find any in stock ever, only 20H cant wait to see what you do with it.

i would do 2 drains and make a herbie drain alot quieter and takes up the same amount of space. have 2 holes along the back one above the other and just put a upright drain on the one. are you doing center overflow or corner? or coast to coast?

i love the 20L, here in canada i cant seem to find any in stock ever, only 20H cant wait to see what you do with it.

i would do 2 drains and make a herbie drain alot quieter and takes up the same amount of space. have 2 holes along the back one above the other and just put a upright drain on the one. are you doing center overflow or corner? or coast to coast?

I think I would be afraid to punch a fourth hole in the glass especially with two close together. I am going with a center overflow with returns at each end.

bonsai reefer

So far so good .You did make sure you left yourself enough room for the 10 in the bottom of the stand? I think the way we discussed the drain and return is the way to go .That is the way I did my super secret 40 breeder that does not have a thread as of yet(Slaker) B) Did you get the tank drilled Yet?

any more pics for the stand? I am building on soon, looking for some inspiration... :)

I had to go out of town, so I was not able to get anything done on my stand. I will get something done tonight.

I picked up my tank today. Memfish gave me a sweet deal on an Eheim 1250 pump. It was under $40. I am pleased with where I have the holes.

029.jpg

027.jpg

so far so good .Sweet deal on the return pump .Does it have a 3/4 " output?

It only has a 1/2" output. I will have to get a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter from Home Depot. It is rated at 317 GPH.

looking good bro. cant wait to see this up and running.

Also, I don't think you should build a canopy. If the room it is in gets hot it could be an issue - plus I think canopys on smaller tanks look to bulky...JMO.

Thanks for the compliments. I am going to do an open top.

I have all the rough work done, finally. I decided to make the opening in the back much larger than the front. I am going to need the air flow to keep this thing cool. I will add the red oak plywood tomorrow and start to work on the trim. I had to get a new bit for my router to cut the openings out of the plywood. I was debating on whether to try and paint the inside white, or just stain it. I think it would be too hard keeping the stained outside and painted inside separate, so I am going to stain it. I am also starting to lean toward doing rigid plumbing. After looking at the different flexible hose, I am not sure I want to trust my tank (on the second floor) with the flexible stuff. I think water damage to my house would cause my wife to banish my tank to tha garage. BTW - I can not believe how much people want for plastic sheet. I sell plastic pellets for a living and the mark-up on the sheet is ridiculous.

Here is the front. There will be two doors covering the front opening, but the back will be open for the most part. My 10Gallon is going to be hard to get out via the front if needed, but it is possible. This will look much better when I am done.

010.jpg

I used 1/2" plywood for the bottom shelf.

009.jpg

Here is the router bit. Notice it has a bearing at the end to rid along the framing, this makes a flush cut in the plywood. No measuring, just trace around the openings. I knew I would need that router someday.

005.jpg

Here is what I will use to cover it. I will then hide the seems in the plywood with 1x3" oak trim and mitre the corners. This sheet was only $20.

003.jpg

I could not wait any longer to paint my tank. I went with flat black. I like the contrast it gives with the brighter corals. I know blue is most common.

012.jpg

I worked on my stand for a few hours today and have the plywood on and routed. I bought the trim pieces today and should be staining tomorrow. I an ready to move on. This stand has been a lot of work, but I think it will be worth it when it is done. It is turning out nicer than I expected.

007-1.jpg

Great stuff so far. Gives me some motivation to work on mine. I haven't done anything with my 20 long yet, I need to get moving..

Can you tell me about the drain and returns? I'm wondering if there is any certain distance they should be from the top in order to get things flowing correctly?

I'm still undecided how to do that part..

Great stuff so far. Gives me some motivation to work on mine. I haven't done anything with my 20 long yet, I need to get moving..

Can you tell me about the drain and returns? I'm wondering if there is any certain distance they should be from the top in order to get things flowing correctly?

I'm still undecided how to do that part..

You can set the height of the water with you overflow, there are various ways to do this, but the height of the drain hole is not that big a a deal in my opinion. I went with the two returns on either end because it is a long tank and I didn't want any dead spots. I am thinking of using a SCWD to get some wave action.

Here is the latest. I have all the trim done. I need to build the doors for the bottom and then stain it. I will be plumbing soon. I am ready to move on.

I did get 2 - 12" x 24" 1/8" sheets of black ABS from Amazon of all places. I am devising how I am going to make a jig to route out the teeth now for my overflow now.

001.jpg

Archived