Cultivated Reef

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

Okay, well, if you've been following my thread for my surge tank, you already know about this, but if not, here it is, the formal thread for my newest coldwater tank.

The tank itself may look familiar - see it's earlier stage in my sig. There have been some modifications though. New stand, more flow, and new light (which I haven't really decided on yet). I got rid of this tank before because the flow wasn't enough to keep the nems happy. Hopefully what I've got now will keep them happy - I'm certainly looking forward to a smaller tank.

Right now the tank doesn't have a light fixture, so pictures are difficult. I tried taking some under normal lights, and just holding an actinic fixture above the tank, out of view of the camera. It didn't really work. I messed with them on the comp to try to get them to look better, but that didn't work either, since I don't have photoshop. But you get to see them anyway!

this was the best one. (still fail though)

DSC_0037.jpg

and some of my more failed attempts

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

and a not very good top down anemone picture

DSC_0043-1.jpg

sorry, I'll try to come up with some better pics tomorrow.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ :P

Yay for slightly better pics! (I really need to get a light)

DSC_0045-1.jpg

DSC_0060-1.jpg

I might try to diy some sort of led thing, but I'm terrible with electronics, so I probably shouldn't try. But if anyone has any suggestions...

Seattle! You should be the one with a coldwater tank. Sooo much good stuff hanging off the docks just waiting to be collected. Still no light, unfortunately, so no pics yet.

I did just take a brief trip to the beach, though, and the washed up kelp was fun to sift through, as it it always is, though you do get some weird looks from people walking by. :P One piece of kelp brought up what it was attached to (a few barnacles) with it. And on those barnacles, there just so happened to be a little baby chiton! So he's in my tank now. I think he's alive, though he was sitting on the beach for quite a while. And, they don't move very much, so I can't really tell. If he's in a different spot tomorrow then I'll know. :P

The tank had been a little murky since the change, and all the nems are closed. I added carbon while I was gone, and it seems to have mostly cleared up by now, but still a little murky. I think tonight I'll test nitrates and see if something funky is going on. Could also be allelopathy, the nems have never been in the same tank before. dunno, we'll see, I guess.

Since I have no tank pictures for you, you can see a few pics I took at the beach this morning. I got a little cannon point and shoot with an underwater housing for christmas, and I was eager to try it out. No actual underwater shots, because it was high tide, but someday. Maybe next weekend - there's a very big low (-1.7). anyways, pics:

kelp on the beach

IMG_0036.jpg

Looks tropical in this picture. In reality, it was about 35 degrees with occasional hail and snow showers. :P

IMG_0041.jpg

Seagull

IMG_0040.jpg

Squall off of Neahkahnie mountain.

IMG_0050-1.jpg

-Jamie

:tears: :tears: :tears:

The tank is leaking.

I think it's coming from the outflow pipe, but I dunno. All I know is that I definitely don't have time to fix it in the foreseeable future. That means, for at least a month or so, this tank is going to have to come down. Sorry to get you guys all excited. -_-

:tears: :tears: :tears:

The tank is leaking.

I think it's coming from the outflow pipe, but I dunno. All I know is that I definitely don't have time to fix it in the foreseeable future. That means, for at least a month or so, this tank is going to have to come down. Sorry to get you guys all excited. -_-

If it's not a pressure fitting you could get some of that epoxy stuff for plumbing and try to stop it.

I could, yes, but that's how I sealed it originally, and apparently that didn't work, though I'm not even sure that's where the leak is coming from, the whole back board of the tank is equally soaked. For now, everything has been moved into my old 16 gallon bow. I'm actually somewhat interested in pursuing a larger tank like this - it would allow me to keep fish (other than catalina's and tiny sculpins), which I have always wanted. So, if the bigger tank goes well, I might just keep it, but if after a few months, I think I want to switch back to something smaller, I'll fix up the zeroedge and give it another go.

I could, yes, but that's how I sealed it originally, and apparently that didn't work, though I'm not even sure that's where the leak is coming from, the whole back board of the tank is equally soaked. For now, everything has been moved into my old 16 gallon bow. I'm actually somewhat interested in pursuing a larger tank like this - it would allow me to keep fish (other than catalina's and tiny sculpins), which I have always wanted. So, if the bigger tank goes well, I might just keep it, but if after a few months, I think I want to switch back to something smaller, I'll fix up the zeroedge and give it another go.

What other kind of small fish could you keep?

boom and adin - thanks!

ob1 - well, there are these cool, small greenling (no formal ID) that I have had before (look in the beginning of the surge tank thread) that were just a little too big for the tanks I was keeping them in. Also, some of the slightly larger sculpins and a couple kinds of gobies that might work.

Needreefunds

ugh.....sorry 'bout the leak Jamie.

Hopefully you can get it repaired and running again soon. Was looking purdy too.. :(

Hang in there buddy.

boom and adin - thanks!

ob1 - well, there are these cool, small greenling (no formal ID) that I have had before (look in the beginning of the surge tank thread) that were just a little too big for the tanks I was keeping them in. Also, some of the slightly larger sculpins and a couple kinds of gobies that might work.

The greenling I know of can get 2'+ and happens to taste very good :lol: I found one of these when diving and thought it would be a cool fish. Grunt Sculpin

My diving experience was years ago and I regret not paying to much attention to the very small things. I was more into spearfishing and collecting stuff from wrecks.

kingwintergreen
boom and adin - thanks!

There are smallish garibaldi available right now at foreshores.net. Also, if you ever get further south look in the Coos Bay area (Charleston docks) pull up some rocks at low tide-- you'll find gunnels of all sizes squirming everywhere. It's beautiful.

Hope you fixed that leak, good luck.

The greenling I know of can get 2'+ and happens to taste very good :lol: I found one of these when diving and thought it would be a cool fish. Grunt Sculpin

My diving experience was years ago and I regret not paying to much attention to the very small things. I was more into spearfishing and collecting stuff from wrecks.

yes, some greenling get big, and are quite delicious. :P The type I found seems to be a smaller variety -there are something like 15 different species here! And I'd also love a grunt sculpin, though I've never seen one tidepooling. Maybe once I start diving here I'll find one!

There are smallish garibaldi available right now at foreshores.net. Also, if you ever get further south look in the Coos Bay area (Charleston docks) pull up some rocks at low tide-- you'll find gunnels of all sizes squirming everywhere. It's beautiful.

Hope you fixed that leak, good luck.

:o WANT! But what would I do when it got big? I wonder if the zoo/aquarium would take it? are they particularly fast growers?

If I'm ever down there I'll try and remember. ;)

Archived