SaltCritters.com

Poop's Rad 10g AIO

PoopCola

:happy:

Hi all!

Just got into reefing about 3 months ago (but I have been reading for about a year!)

My parents have finally allowed me to have a tank at home

this is my first tank (updates on this too coming soon)

ol' tank

I just built a rad AIO over the past few weeks (losely based on "lalanis Pico upgrade") seen Here

Stats

10 gallon AGA with appx. 7 gallon display and 3 gallon sump

96 watts t5 lighting (fishneedit fixture)

2 nano korolias for circulation

1 maxijet 400 (false wall)

Filtration- Cheato

"sea lettuce"

carbon

chemi pure

IMG_0382.jpg

Thanks to El fabuloso's advice THANKS!!!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
awsome build up thread

Lolz :happy:

I don't know what happened

I accidentily submitted it with just "HI all"

Da Plan

Plansfordareef.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Nice tank. Your livestock looks okay, except for these:

lettuce nudi, sea hare, yellow cucumber - will likely starve/die in a nano reef because of the lack of food (stick with herbivorous snails)

avoid the mithrax crab because they are omnivores (emeralds are actually mithrax crabs, too)

try to get another fish besides the scooter blenny, like something that will eat prepared food

leave the clam, anemone, and sps until the tank is established (many months)

lettuce nudi, sea hare, yellow cucumber - will likely starve/die in a nano reef because of the lack of food (stick with herbivorous snails)

avoid the mithrax crab because they are omnivores (emeralds are actually mithrax crabs, too)

try to get another fish besides the scooter blenny, like something that will eat prepared food

+1, and I would only put 1 fish in 7 gallons.

According to the sea slug forum ( http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=17626 ) the lettuce nudi (which isn't really nudi) will eat cheato so I think I could support its diet

also it is a "solar powered sea slug" meaning it harvests the chroloplasts of plant to use in its own body

so I think Ill give it a go (unless you think its a REALLY bad Idea)

sea hare will eat nori ( or so I've read...)

bummer about the yellow sea cucumber

I have an emerald crab right now and so far I've had no problems... (other than it rarely coming out into view)

the scooter blenny would go in the the same time as the clam the sps and the nem ( after a few months)

that is unless I can find one that is "trained" to eat prepared food

Thanks LAK! :happy:

your a god on NR

hmm

your probably right...

Ill have to think harder about fish...

According to the sea slug forum (http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=17626) the lettuce nudi (which isn't really nudi) will eat cheato so I think I could support its diet

sea hare will eat nori ( or so I've read...)

bummer about the yellow sea cucumber

I have an emerald crab right now and so far I've had no problems... (other than it rarely coming out into view)

the scooter blenny would go in the the same time as the clam the sps and the nem ( after a few months)

that is unless I can find one that is "trained" to eat prepared food

Thanks LAK! :happy:

your a god on NR

It would take more then a few months for your tank to mature and keep sps, clams, and nems. Most would recommend no anemone until at least a year and sps and clams for at least 6-8 months.

Even when your pod population seems good (after 6-8 months), when you add your scooter blenny it will eat more pods then they are reproducing, and starve. That's why it is hard to keep them, especially in nano's. In larger tanks, the pods can reproduce without being eaten by the mandarin.

BTW

I am aware of the care requirements of the scooter blenny and other dragonets

thats why I put a "later"

to build up a sufficient pod population

( also I plan on having a pod breeding set up)

It would take more then a few months for your tank to mature and keep sps, clams, and nems. Most would recommend no anemone until at least a year and sps and clams for at least 6-8 months.

Even when your pod population seems good (after 6-8 months), when you add your scooter blenny it will eat more pods then they are reproducing, and starve. That's why it is hard to keep them, especially in nano's. In larger tanks, the pods can reproduce without being eaten by the mandarin.

6 months is what I meant by a few, sorry

see other post

and Im up to the challenge,but I don't plan on getting any of the harder to keep organisms (clam sps nem)

until I get better at reefing

BTW

I am aware of the care requirements of the scooter blenny and other dragonets

thats why I put a "later"

to build up a sufficient pod population

( also I plan on having a pod breeding set up)

In my last post when I quoted you it said in a few months you will add it as well as sps, clams, and a nem.

That's why I tried explaining it. But, I'm glad you know what your doing at least and can provide it's diet! :D

In my last post when I quoted you it said in a few months you will add it as well as sps, clams, and a nem.

That's why I tried explaining it. But, I'm glad you know what your doing at least and can provide it's diet! :D

Thanks man

it pains me to see people with dragnets and scooter blennies in their newly established tanks (STARVING!)

I like your vail poster (i grew up there).

Thanks man

I live on the ice coast (I mean east coast) so I dream about POW like thaht every night!

The reason I said no nudibranch or sea hare is that they are not needed since you have a large CUC, and you will be forced to keep feeding them so they don't die. I would say to just leave them alone a focus more on corals.

The reason I said no nudibranch or sea hare is that they are not needed since you have a large CUC, and you will be forced to keep feeding them so they don't die. I would say to just leave them alone a focus more on corals.

I dont mind feeding them

I think they are ridiculously cool

I just labled them CUC because they do double duty

I have a while before I get any live stock so Ill have plenty of time to research an learn more about them

do you think the CUC is too large?

I could tone it down a bit ( im still a n00b) :happy:

no, your CUC isn't too large. I guess I'm only thinking in terms of my CUC, which is only 3 ceriths, 2 nassarius, and a turbo. They don't have much to eat since I only have one firefish, now. You should, however, get one or the other since they will be eating the same thing (I'm leaning to sea hare).

If I keep up with frequent WC (1 gallon a week...more?)

would 2 be too much of a bio load?

I thought that a scooter blenny and a true perc would be ok because they dont really share the same swim space (unless Im mistaken)

thanks clayyo! :happy:

would 2 be too much of a bio load?

No, but remember that even adding another small fish to a nano is a greater change in the bioload than adding 2 or 3 medium fish to a 55 gallon. It just comes down to personal preference and upkeep.

No, but remember that even adding another small fish to a nano is a greater change in the bioload than adding 2 or 3 medium fish to a 55 gallon. It just comes down to personal preference and upkeep.

thats the challenge of a nano!

hmmm plenty of time to think about fish though

Just picked up the LR

I ordered just fiji,but my science teacher gave me some KALENI and MARSHALL island rock too!

WOOT

pics later today!

:happy:

LR I picked up today at school (Kaleni, marshall island and fiji)

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

I had to carry the rock and a full bucket of salt through my shool to my car

Everyone was like "what is that????" :huh:

They thought I had detention or something because I was carrying salt (to salt the sidewalks) :lol:

pieces left over

IMG_0282.jpg

Rock scape

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

Various pictures of it clouding up from the sand

then getiing clearer

then clouding up again because i added more

IMG_0288_2.jpg

IMG_0289_2.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295_2.jpg

IMG_0296_2-1.jpg

Tell me what you think of the scape! :happy:

Im really excited!!! :happy:

sure thing

one moment please

these are the plans I drew on graph paper

Like I said earlier it is base on lalani's "pico upgrade" tank

Planz.jpg

Planz.jpg

Is this what you're doing in class instead of paying attention? as a former teacher I am shocked and appalled... not really. looks like a nice start, though ADA purists might frown upon modifying the clean lines (not that I am one)

whoops! read aga as ada. my bad. ignore that, then.

Archived