Pod Your Reef

Need advice please!

uwwmatt

I bought a 25 gallon tank from another reefer (24 1/4 x12 1/2 x20 3/4), and I want to build an in-tank overflow. I have no building experience, and don't even know if these plans will work. I was hoping someone with a little more knowledge on the subject could help me out with a little advice.

The drawing is almost to scale except that it is 4 inches to high. I started working on the plans before I picked up the tank. I was told it was a 30 gallon high, but it is actually a 25. I am also planing on extending the return chamber another 1.5 inches to accommodate the Rio 1100 Plus (3.9" x 2-1/2" x 3.2" /382gph).

fishtank.png

tank4.png

1.intake and heater 2.refugium 3. carbon will go here 4. removable wall 5. return

fishtank3.png

fishtank2.png

imo...i would change chamber ones baffle. i would make it from the top down, so the water has to flow from the top to the bottom, then add another baffle about 3/4 the height of the 1st chamber, so that it flows over the top into your refug area. maybe add another egg crate platform to chamber five so that the pump is up higher to the top, just to make the pump more accesable for cleaning. hope i explained it all right

good luck! and great drawing...sketchup?? i still cant work that program correctly!

Thanks for the comments. I was already tossing around the idea of a raised platform for the return pump, and I will definitely do it. I don't really see the purpose of making the water go around another baffle. What exactly is the benefit?

Yep, the diagrams were made using Sketchup, this is actually the first time I have ever used any software like this. I downloaded Sketchup yesterday and then watched a few of the short tutorial videos.

u dont want the wate in chamber one to stir up your fuge. it will just create a strong but evn flow thru ur fuge section without disturbing your sand, plus on the greater side to ur ques, the water will not flow from the top straight down to the carbon then pump, it has to go thru ur fuge. i actually made a design like u have drawn, for my aio pico. it didnt work that great. just my opinion...others might dispute, but i think this is the way to go. check out some of the sumps in peoples systems...they also have much needed baffles. flow...micro bubbles...extra space for mechanical media/chemical media....all possibilities

mark

Archived