SaltCritters.com

Red Sea Max 130d

SaltynNice

From what I have been reading the Red Sea 130d made all the upgrades people were complaining about in the first version.

I want to know if anyone here has one and what their experience has been, good and/or bad.

I tried the search feature on the site, but it does not pull anything on Red Sea.

Anyone got one of these things????

From what I have been reading the Red Sea 130d made all the upgrades people were complaining about in the first version.

I want to know if anyone here has one and what their experience has been, good and/or bad.

I tried the search feature on the site, but it does not pull anything on Red Sea.

Anyone got one of these things????

talk to stevieT i no he has a red sea max he helped me decide that once i save up the $ im gona get 1 and hes awncerd every question ive asked in great detail hes very helpful :D:bowdown:

talk to stevieT i no he has a red sea max he helped me decide that once i save up the $ im gona get 1 and hes awncerd every question ive asked in great detail hes very helpful :D:bowdown:

He's asking about the RSM 130d not the RSM 130.

Same T5 Power compact lamps, same basic protein skimmer configuration...same overpriced and underpowered system...and yes, I had and RSM. I put up with it for a year before giving up on it and all-in-one's in general.

Same T5 Power compact lamps, same basic protein skimmer configuration...same overpriced and underpowered system...and yes, I had and RSM. I put up with it for a year before giving up on it and all-in-one's in general.

What did you replace it with?

I sell racks and cups to 130D owners in Europe, and now the USA, which leads me to believe people are still not satisfied with the stock skimmer and chamber of death.

The new upgrades IMO are minimal, they also increased the price. The way I see it, they added an overflow box, that sticks out in the tank, and charged a few hundred more for that.

I haven't seen the tank in person yet, so I will hold final judgment until I do. But IMO, not worth it if you can still get your hands on the old 130. Take the extra money and invest it in a Tunze 9002

But IMO, not worth it if you can still get your hands on the old 130. Take the extra money and invest it in a Tunze 9002

Amen. Too bad Sac State probably didn't know about your media rack and special cup combo along with the tunze 9002.

Hey thanks. I'll try and touch base with StevieT.

I really like the idea of an all-in-one. Just need someone who is currently doing it successfully before I would drop that kind of cash.

I am still conducting my research and this just seemed like a great concept, now I need to know if it works. Thanks for your input.

I know I want a tank that doesn't have all the tubes and stuff showing. I want to make it as visually appealing as possible while maintaining good functionality. I also am trying to keep from having to buy several different pieces from several different sources.

Thanks for the insight!

actually i did have a 9002. the RSM has many more problems than the stock filtration. For that amount of money I don't see why you wouldn't want to just build your own system to fit your specific needs. the RSM concept is great, but it just doesn't live up to its potential...

and, if you got a Reef-Ready tank you wouldn't have any plumbing visible either. all of that stuff is under the tank in the stand, out of sight. it's also WAY easier to modify and expand upon a custom system as your tastes progress, as opposed to the limited space and design of an all-in-one. just some food for thought.

actually i did have a 9002. the RSM has many more problems than the stock filtration. For that amount of money I don't see why you wouldn't want to just build your own system to fit your specific needs. the RSM concept is great, but it just doesn't live up to its potential...

and, if you got a Reef-Ready tank you wouldn't have any plumbing visible either. all of that stuff is under the tank in the stand, out of sight. it's also WAY easier to modify and expand upon a custom system as your tastes progress, as opposed to the limited space and design of an all-in-one. just some food for thought.

Ok. I will definitely keep this in mind. The initial set up seems a little intimidating to me, but I want to do it right. Thanks for the advice. :)

Ok. I will definitely keep this in mind. The initial set up seems a little intimidating to me, but I want to do it right. Thanks for the advice. :)

I was thinking the same way, and went with the RSM for many of the same reasons. It's only been a few months for me, but I'm happy I went this way instead of setting up my own - as it is, there are plenty of learning to do without putting major pieces together. At some point, I may feel up to putting together my own setup, but for now it was good go know there is a set of stuff that will work, and focus on learning the basics of husbandry.

Read through StevieT's thread (link in his sig above) and you'll have a good feel for what you can do with the RSM. Even with it's limitations, it looks to me like one can keep a very attractive looking reef setup in spite of what you might hear from folks about the 'stock lighting' and 'crappy skimmer.' As far as the 130D vs. the 130, it seems like there is a buying opportunity right now for the 130 - the new model is getting the premium price, but I've seen many folks finding good deals on the old model.

Good luck, and welcome!

p.s. - don't put the goldfish in it.

one last bit of information-I got my RSM for free direct from Red Sea (for testing purposes) and I still wasn't very happy with it. They even sent me free replacement parts when two fans and the timer went out. In the end I just felt that the limitations of the system outweighed its benefits. I totally understand why someone new to the hobby would be intrigued by the idea of an all-in-one...I just thing that you'll outgrow it once you've gained enough experience to recognize it's restrictions. For me, you just can't beat the flexibility and limitless options of a build-it-yourself system. I'm not totally against all-in-ones though. I have a 12G AquaPod that I still really enjoy. But it's by no means my main system. Which ever way you decide to go, I wish you the best of luck!

i've got one....bought it used b/c the guy that had it didn't like it at all....i love it....no problemo at all thanks to SteveT's collection cup upgrade for the tunze 9002 and his media rack.....good stuff

should have more pics arriving soon.....put a nice cuc in it today as well as a BTA for my clown

I have a RSM 130 and im still new to the game only 6 months in the one thing i have noticed in reef keeping ,there is always somthing better than what ya got. Im slowly doing the mods to my tank i have the Tunze 9002 it is a must have for the RSM and with the skimmer gone and all the filteration gone it leave alot of room in the tank to do mods. this weekend im adding a chiller and a reactor. Hell i got 2 clams right after the tank cycled and they are doing fine and they are on the bottom of the tank.

The main thing is not to get discouraged get what ya want to get i think the RSM is a excellant beginner reef tank i have learned so much. Just read alot of books and definatly StevieTs diarie it is very informative and alot of pics to actually see what hes doing. and the Number one thing is to have fun thats what its all about.

Your Pal Drew

I have a RSM 130 and im still new to the game only 6 months...m slowly doing the mods to my tank i have the Tunze 9002 it is a must have for the RSM and with the skimmer gone and all the filteration gone it leave alot of room in the tank to do mods.

Your Pal Drew

The cost of the RSM seems pretty high if you're going to have to mod the thing just to get it work work correctly...

The cost of the RSM seems pretty high if you're going to have to mod the thing just to get it work work correctly...

I think your missing the point, Alot of people buy any cube to and expect to add a bit of personal touch into it, at the end of the day, the rsm is a beutiful looking tank, and every product in the market has flaws. yes you do pay more for designer jeans over no name. I would be happy to spend a good chunk of change for a aio that has no flaws, and in the big picture of things the rsm isnt that over priced for what you get and its still not even close to touching a designer handbag.

It sounds like half the problems are due to the skimmer anyways, If i remeber correctly for myself I got into nano reefing because I despise dealing with skimmers weekly water changes is what I like.

I haven't found one AIO that someone doesn't mod. It is the nature of the game, part of the hobby. Most mod their cars somewhat to personalize them, make them faster, look better, smell pretty.

The thing with the RSM is that you can run it completely stock. The skimmer is junk, yes, but you could compensate that with regular water changes. Skimmers are awesome and do help, but they are not 100% necessary on a small system depending on coral/fish stocking.

The only other things on the RSM is the heater, ok so you spend $16 on a stealth. And most add an extra power head to keep other corals, alright another $35.

Solana's, Cad's, and Finnex, all have the same small issues. Upgrading hardware is part of the game.

You can set up your own system, I may if I ever do another tank, but it will be much more expensive. The attraction to an AIO system is its' clean looks and integration. Such as a bowed edges, power control center and a fancy lid. They are great for the beginner because they give you a starting point, a shell and most of the hardware. I don't think I could have started from scratch without first starting with a AIO

You can pick up a used 130 for about $400 and a new one still at around $700. The new 130D is $800+ with minimal benifits. If you do buy new, save your money and SKIP on the starter kit.

IMO of course, maybe a little IME too :)

try using nano-reef.com/search

If I were looking to spend that kind of money on an AIO I'd go with either the 24 Gallon AquaPod HQI or the 28 Gallon NanoCube HQI. Both are vastly superior, IMO.

Archived