Pod Your Reef

Pineo's 20L and custom 12 setup

pineo

Hello all... this is my 20 long and 12 custom setup. It was started in December 2007

20L FTS as of 1/05/2009

DSC00851-crop.jpg

Specs - 20 long display (total system water volume is about 50 gallons)

20 long sump

custom 12 gallon tank (20x12x12)

2 x 150 20k light

ASM G1 skimmer

2 mag 950s pumps (one for each display)

Live stock - 20 LONG:

2 clowns

purple dottyback

brittle starfish

CUC and peppermint shrimp

various SPS/LPS/softies...clam

sebae anemone

12 custom:

6 line wrasse

CUC.

Not much in terms of coral...enjoying stocking the 20L so much right now...

thanks!

A few more pics before bed:

close of the anemone crab

CIMG0075.jpg

the 6 line hanging out in a cave

CIMG0074.jpg

FTS of the 20L

CIMG0072.jpg

FTS of the custom 12 gallon

CIMG0086.jpg

shot of the whole system

CIMG0080.jpg

thanks for looking!

Wow, another great 20 L reef. Are both tank plumbed together into the sump? Nice idea using the long light over the two tanks. Porcelinn crabs are sweet!

I have an SCWD working on the 20l. the stupid thing has stopped switching the current. I have taken the plumbing apart twice, soaked it in vinager - still no good. I might be buying an OM squirt...

anybody have any experience with fixing these units?

Wow, another great 20 L reef. Are both tank plumbed together into the sump? Nice idea using the long light over the two tanks. Porcelinn crabs are sweet!

Yep both of the tanks are plumbed together, 2 MAG 950s are moving the water. I was using two orbit PCs (one 30'' and one 20'') upgraded to this light recently. I did so because I plan on setting this bad boy up soon: its a custom acrylic 48'' x 18'' x 18''. made from 1/2'' cell cast acrylic. I can't wait to set it up.

DCP_0697.jpg

DCP_0695.jpg

thanks.

adjusted the aquascape tonight, major changes but the end result is pretty much right where I started...lol. All the livestock was pissed - the clowns were nipping at my hands, always fun. I needed to create some more room for SPS and get the yuma out of the high flow area.

Also, tomorrow I will make new spray bars - my current ones blew the sand all over the place and created bare spots at the bottom of the tank, that drives me crazy.

Anyway will post pics tomorrow.

A few more shots - using a better camera now, its much easier to get better shots.

new blue milli frag - picked it up yesterday, getting some real nice extension on it

JennsPics010.jpg

I really like this acan macro

JennsPics011.jpg

updated FTS

FTS.jpg

ughhh...I have just had a real tough go at things these last two days...Yesterday I come home and find that my 6-line wrasse jumped out of the tank at some point the night before... :( I loved that little fish.

Then tonight I get home and notice that my SCWD decided to stop working again....I have tried everything with this stupid thing. Thats it I'm done - I just bought a OM Squirt 2-way.

But wait the fun doesn't end there. I was messing with my pump - trying to get the SCWD working. Well as I was leaning way back behind my tank to access the pump I had my hand on my light fixture for support. SNAP!!! one of the fixtures legs cracked right in half.

So in the matter of 48 hours I lost a fish, broke my brand new light fixtures leg and the SCWD gave out...going to crawl under a rock until the replacement legs and OM squirt comes...

Sorry to hear about your loss! Nice little set-up you have there. I like the aquascaping, especially the arches. Don't feel to bad about the light. I knocked mine into the water the first time I placed it on the tank.

Thanks dude - I've been in the hobby for almost 5 years - this is the first time I've been happy with my aquascaping.

BTW your tank is truly inspirational...

I hate giving up - so I got home from work tonight and was hell bent on getting that stupid SCWD working. As i was messing around with it I noticed that when I removed my PVC spray bars the SCWD worked properly. This made me the think the problem was the not SCWD itself but by back pressure from the spray bars.

So I took the spray bars out and drilled more holes into them. Seems to be working now - and by drilling additional holes the flow is still as strong but more gentle over all. It has bas been working for about an hour now.

I already bought another 6-line wrasse, and put a cover on the custom 12 gallon. So the only issue now is the broken legs on my light fixture.

A few new additions today - pink and green birds nest frag and a small crocea clam.

I also put the sebae anemone into the 20 long for the clowns, they jumped in within 5 minutes.

enough chat - pics...

birds nest - small frag, its hard to get a decent pic of it

CIMG0102.jpg

the clam

CIMG0097.jpg

green slimmer - which has really started to color up nice

CIMG0079.jpg

better pic of the blue millie - great extension

CIMG0083.jpg

the clowns loving the sebae

CIMG0080.jpg

and...

CIMG0095.jpg

and lastly a new FTS - not as clear as I would like, but I'm using the old camera again.

CIMG0100.jpg

well I was away for the holidays my blue millie fell down and landed on the hammer coral. About 1/5 of the largest head of the hammer coral has died - but the blue millie seems to be doing really well. That surprised me, I would have figure the hammer coral would get the better of the millie.

I will post some pics tonight.

I added a few SPS coral and moved the rock structure around to accommodate the anemone and clam

new pink millie

DSC00866.jpg

pink monti

DSC00865.jpg

a few random shots...

DSC00874.jpg

and

DSC00869.jpg

also...

DSC00859.jpg

FTS

DSC00851-crop.jpg

thanks for looking!

My OM squirt 2-way should be delivered today :D

I don't know if I am going to install it or not. The SCWD has been working fine as of late. I may just hold it until I upgrade.

What do you guys think?

Do you guys think my clam is getting enough light? His mantle is always fully extened, and he is reactive to shadows and movement...

What do you all think?

Thanks man - the scaping took many iterations and the use a lot of words that I won't repeat here hehe... but I think I have finally reached that point of an aesthetically pleasing scape that is reasonably stable and also offers enough room to place coral.

It is tough to get that balance in these smaller tanks. Plus I am always trying to have enough room to get my hands in the tank and clean without disturbing corals.

But I appreciate the kinds words :D

• 3 months later...

Archived