Cultivated Reef

Jawfish in a BC29 - Thoughts?

Bonsai

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for another fish to add to my BC29. I really, really like the way Blue Spotted Jawfish look - but I wonder how they would do in a BioCube. I have a fairly deep sandbed ... maybe 4" in spots.

I have sugar-sized sand, so I'm concerned that he'll make a huge mess ... but I'm up for giving it a shot.

What do you all think? Anyone have a jawfish? How do you like it?

Jason

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dahliaheartsyou

do it.

my favorite fish.

you could always make a pvc trail for him too so he doesn't make a mess.

sorry that's all i have to offer...

do it.

my favorite fish.

you could always make a pvc trail for him too so he doesn't make a mess.

sorry that's all i have to offer...

Awesome. Do you have one in your BC29?

dahliaheartsyou
Awesome. Do you have one in your BC29?

actually, i have no fish...

=[

but i plan on getting something for christmas.

and i plan for sure to get a jawfish, but not a blue spot, unless you wanna give me some money LOL.

i need something that eats flatworms, but since i have no fish i don't want to get a 6line and try and introduce something nicer only to have the 6line boss everyone around...

I have a bluespot in my BC29 and love it! I've had him for about a year. He has dug a couple of burrows and doesn't make a mess at all. They have a ton of personality and easily one of my favorite fish! They are known to be jumpers and require a tight lid. Also provide them with a lot of rubble of different sizes, the more the better. They will use all of it! Make sure you get a healthy one to start with! If you get one, keep us posted!

bc29shots055me2.jpg

I had a Dusty Jawfish in a 29g BC with the top off for a couple of month before i moved it to my 75g... It did great... just don't have it in there with a diamond goby... they like to mess with each other...

Kevin

I have a bluespot in my BC29 and love it! I've had him for about a year. He has dug a couple of burrows and doesn't make a mess at all. They have a ton of personality and easily one of my favorite fish! They are known to be jumpers and require a tight lid. Also provide them with a lot of rubble of different sizes, the more the better. They will use all of it! Make sure you get a healthy one to start with! If you get one, keep us posted!

bc29shots055me2.jpg

That photo is EXACTLY why I want one of those. They are such a beautiful fish.

My only fear is that he'll burrow in an area of the tank where I can't see him when he's in his house peeking out. For those of you wish jawfish, do they normally create their homes in a part of the tank where they can look out and see everything? I'm afraid he'll make a home behind a rock or something and I'll never see my beautiful (expensive) fish.

Jason

dahliaheartsyou

maybe make a couple little areas in the front that look appealing, like with mounds of bigger rubble pieces

or you could do the pvc thing and make sure his peeky hole is in the front

=]

Bonsai...... They are not skittish at all like some other species! In fact, once they get used to their surroundings, they actually like the attention. As far as being able to see them, that's not a problem either. They'll have more than one burrow. As a matter of fact Digger, (yes I gave him a name, lol), has 2 or 3 burrows with a tunnel system he built. He'll dive in one burrow and pop out of another! Sorta like the prairie dogs do!

dahliaheartsyou
Bonsai...... They are not skittish at all like some other species! In fact, once they get used to their surroundings, they actually like the attention. As far as being able to see them, that's not a problem either. They'll have more than one burrow. As a matter of fact Digger, (yes I gave him a name, lol), has 2 or 3 burrows with a tunnel system he built. He'll dive in one burrow and pop out of another! Sorta like the prairie dogs do!

well there you go!!!

no more excuses, go get that blue spot! :lol:

and then take pics and video so i can see! :lol:

maybe make a couple little areas in the front that look appealing, like with mounds of bigger rubble pieces

=]

This could be what dahlia is talkin' about. IIRC, a nano-reef member came up with this idea. They used pvc with a barnacle shell and buried it in the sand. Here's a pic:

bluespothouseto1.jpg

And here is a pic of it in use!!

peekingbluespotxr6.jpg

dahliaheartsyou

that's exactly what i was talking about.

i'm making one for my jawfish right now (i'm getting one for x-mas) because i don't really have that deep of a sand bed and hoping this will make him comfy =]

plus, the jawfish will just look cool popping up and down out of a barnacle B)

This could be what dahlia is talkin' about. IIRC, a nano-reef member came up with this idea. They used pvc with a barnacle shell and buried it in the sand. Here's a pic:

bluespothouseto1.jpg

And here is a pic of it in use!!

peekingbluespotxr6.jpg

Damn, that looks perfect. Do you have that thread link?

=]

It's always more fun when the peeky hole is in front ;)

plus, the jawfish will just look cool popping up and down out of a barnacle B)

Awesome - I just picked this cluster up for $8 plus shipping on eBay ...

61e5_1.JPG

Lots to choose from. I can't wait to get this project started, and I REALLY can't wait to get my Bluespotted Jawfish :D

Jason

dahliaheartsyou

kinda off topic, but have you seen the barnacle blennies?

they love those big clusters!

there are a bunch of different types of them too, with tons of different colorations, just in case you think they are cute =]

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsS...ry.php?ID=46725

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp...Code=01-1621-10

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1414

Lookin' Good! Don't forget to drill some holes in it!

If I drill it, the sand will come in ... I don't quite know why the original needs holes?

Jason

I think it's more for circulation. Don't worry about the sand coming in, the blue spot will "clean" it up and spit out any sand that gets in there.

stoney waters

That is looking good basser. I actually plugged the holes after a while because sand was coming in. My jawfish was constantly spitting it out the opening, it was kind of cute but it drove me crazy watching him do it all day. I now think the holes are not necessary. The fish creates it own flow by just swimming through it.

I do recommend a tight fitting lid. I lost my first two because of my absent mindedness. It now houses a pearly jawfish.

Once again good job. Hope it works out for you.

That is looking good basser. I actually plugged the holes after a while because sand was coming in. My jawfish was constantly spitting it out the opening, it was kind of cute but it drove me crazy watching him do it all day. I now think the holes are not necessary. The fish creates it own flow by just swimming through it.

I do recommend a tight fitting lid. I lost my first two because of my absent mindedness. It now houses a pearly jawfish.

Once again good job. Hope it works out for you.

Yeah, I don't think I'll drill holes in this one. I think you're right Stoney - the current from the fish swimming through the enclosure should stir it up enough.

So how did you sink the thing? Did you just push it through your sand and wiggle it to the bottom - or did you move sand to expose the bottom, place the PVC, then cover it?

Also - any trick to attaching the Barnacle to the PVC I should know about?

Thanks for the inspiration!

Jason

Archived