Innovative Marine Aquariums

4 Year Old 40 Breeder

GobyInPeace

Its been a long time since I last posted one of my tanks so here goes.

Tank: AGA 40 gallon breeder. Started 12/7/05. Many of the Corals and LR were transferred from my previous tank, an 18 month old 30G.

Mechanical Filtration: Modified HOB AqauClear 200 with in-tank surface skimmer.

Biological filtration: 35lbs of LR from Fiji, Marshall Islands, and Tonga. Various types of macro algae.

Lighting: 4x39 watt T5s overdriven to 64 watts each. One of each: ATI Blue Plus, ATI Aqua Blue Special, UVL Superactinic, GE 6500K Daylight.

The tank is sumpless and is home to mostly LPS and softies.

Fish are as follows: 2 Green Chromies, Yellow Watchman Goby, Blue Orangetail Damsel, Dragonface Pipefish.

And now for some pics:

Nov803.jpg

Nov805.jpg

Nov809.jpg

Nov810.jpg

Nov806.jpg

Nov812.jpg

Nov1405.jpg

Nov801.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the pics! All comments and questions are welcomed!

Edited by GobyInPeace
Such an amazing tank! TOTM!!

Thank you kindly!

Here are some pics of my 2 gallon pod tank. I started this just a few days ago to raise future pods for my pipefish.

Nov2801.jpg

Nov2803.jpg

Nov2802.jpg

Guest theoldman
Thank you kindly!

Here are some pics of my 2 gallon pod tank. I started this just a few days ago to raise future pods for my pipefish.

Nov2801.jpg

Nov2803.jpg

Nov2802.jpg

is that pod tank an antique aquarium?

Wow! So many comments already. Thanks for all the kind words so far.

Ok where did you steal those pics. :P Just kidding.

Just SPECTACULAR. :bowdown:

Is your AC a fuge?

No. I have an "in-tank' fuge so to speak that gets lit mainly by the GE 6500K. As you can see plenty of chaeto is hidden behind the rock wall:

Nov807.jpg

AMAZING!!! Nice to see another member from 03. How are you feeding the pipefish?

Right now he has plenty of live pods to hunt in the tank.

is that pod tank an antique aquarium?

Yes. It has a slate bottom and looks almost new with no scratches.

Very nice tank, very nice damsel as well.

How aggressive is he?

Thanks! He is a big baby. He even allows the pipefish to swim right next to him. He will chase any of the other fish from his cave though.

Edited by GobyInPeace
KennyBlankenship

Very well grown in tank! looks spectacular.

I was just wondering if you had any comments about your overdriven T5s. I presume you're using an icecap 660 ballast / retrofit kit. I have a few questions about this set up:

1. How often do you change the lamps? I have heard conflicting information about this. On reefgeek it says that the lamps last just as long due to their special firing technology or something like that. However, on most message boards, people seem to always say how they burn out faster.

2. Do you have any cooling? (fans, etc) Is there a lot more heat? If so, to what extent?

3. How effectively do you think you could keep sps? Your clam looks happy.

thanks!

Very well grown in tank! looks spectacular.

I was just wondering if you had any comments about your overdriven T5s. I presume you're using an icecap 660 ballast / retrofit kit. I have a few questions about this set up:

1. How often do you change the lamps? I have heard conflicting information about this. On reefgeek it says that the lamps last just as long due to their special firing technology or something like that. However, on most message boards, people seem to always say how they burn out faster.

2. Do you have any cooling? (fans, etc) Is there a lot more heat? If so, to what extent?

3. How effectively do you think you could keep sps? Your clam looks happy.

thanks!

Thanks!

I started overdriving T5s just after Icecap came out with their findings (about 4-1/2 years ago). I use cheaper Workhorse ballasts though. The key is to keep them running cool! I have 2 4" computer fans blowing through the hood in a push pull config. I also use Icecap waterproof endcaps and stand offs. Bulbs last me 18 months before I change them. They don't burn out but the ends get pretty dark.

This tank is not well suited for SPS as it is skimmerless and relies heavily on biological filtration and I have more of an interest in LPS and softies because of their look and adaptability to captivity.

Nice tank

What the big deal about having no skimmer though?

Thanks!

Just being more descriptive that's all. I'd say a vast majority of the 40B reefs I have seen employ a skimmer and a sump.

Workhorse ballasts dont overdrive the bulbs...That ballast runs the bulbs at 39 watts each. Just because you have fans blowing air on them doesnt mean they are being overdrived. The overdriving actually is in the icecap circuitry.

Also if your bulbs are lasting 18 months they are not being overdrived.

Workhorse ballasts dont overdrive the bulbs...That ballast runs the bulbs at 39 watts each. Just because you have fans blowing air on them doesnt mean they are being overdrived. The overdriving actually is in the icecap circuitry.

Also if your bulbs are lasting 18 months they are not being overdrived.

The way they are wired they are being overdriven according to their rep. Besides I had my unit next to a tek unit and mine blew it away. Other reefers with T5s have seen my lighting as well and all of them noticed how bright mine ran.

What the heck do fans have to do with them being overdriven anyway? I would cool any T5 bulbs with fans as any one can tell you that fluorescent bulbs run much more efficiently and last longer when cooled.

Any way I could care less if they are being overdriven or not I like the results and the way they look.

The way they are wired they are being overdriven according to their rep. Besides I had my unit next to a tek unit and mine blew it away. Other reefers with T5s have seen my lighting as well and all of them noticed how bright mine ran.

What the heck do fans have to do with them being overdriven anyway? I would cool any T5 bulbs with fans as any one can tell you that fluorescent bulbs run much more efficiently and last longer when cooled.

Any way I could care less if they are being overdriven or not I like the results and the way they look.

Your tank does look great I just think its hilarious that you put an exact overdriven watts in your post when in fact they arent overdriven. Workhorse ballasts are far from the best T5ho ballasts.

Yes putting fans on T5ho's is a good thing and has proven to improve efficiency and lamp life but the fans have nothing to do with overdriving. Im just saying if your bulbs are running 18 months I can guarantee they arent being overdriven.

I ran 4 4ft T5ho's with icecap reflectors and a icecap 660 ballast and had to change the bulbs anywhere from 8-12 months.

Don't worry Proraptor is just a big jerk. Had the same problem with him in one or more of my threads. Pay no mind to him he's like a fly on a wall. Anyways props on the tank it looks SAWEET. BTW SPS can be done without a skimmer that's where Pro and I get in arguements.

That is one gorgeous LPS dominated tank. Can you show a shot of the lighting arrangement in the hood. Also what light is that on the pod tank.

I'll try to take a pic later after the Packer game.

The pod tank is lit by a $12, 6 bulb clip on battery powered LED. I spliced into the unit and am now running it off of an AC/DC adapter. I can set the voltage settings to change the brightness. If you give them too much power you will blow them though. 6VDC @ 500MA would be the upper limit I would guess.

Here is another pic of it at night running off the adapter:

Nov2804.jpg

Your tank does look great I just think its hilarious that you put an exact overdriven watts in your post when in fact they arent overdriven. Workhorse ballasts are far from the best T5ho ballasts.

What is so amusing about that? You are the first person to dispute what a Fulham factory rep/tech told me. People have been using Fulham ballasts for running HOT5s well before the aquarium hobby started using them. They may not be the best but I am on a tight budget and they get the job done!!!

Don't worry Proraptor is just a big jerk. Had the same problem with him in one or more of my threads. Pay no mind to him he's like a fly on a wall. Anyways props on the tank it looks SAWEET. BTW SPS can be done without a skimmer that's where Pro and I get in arguements.

Thanks! Yes SPS can be done in skimmerless systems and I have seen some fine examples. Its just that I set my tank up more specifically for LPS and softies. My overall flow rate (10X) is too low for SPS.

Edited by GobyInPeace

Im not making fun of your setup at all....Fullham ballasts run fine but you claim:

Lighting: 4x39 watt T5s overdriven to 64 watts each

How do you know they are overdriven to exactly 64 watts each? Also how are you able to keep the bulbs running for 18 months? I ask that because overdriven bulbs wont last 18 months. You are running 156 watts over your tank not 256 watts like you claim

I dont even know who you are.....SPS can be done with a skimmer no problem....Ive done it myself and its no big deal....Ive never said you cant keep sps without a skimmer.

Edited by proraptor2