SaltCritters.com

DIY JBJ 28 HQI to LED!

neelix

Haven't seen anyone do this so here goes.

Items purchased so far;

Heat sink 11x8.5 from heatsinksusa. Perfect fit drops right in.

LED 8 Cree XR-E Cool Whites,8 Luxeon Rebels Single Royal Blue, and 8 Luxeon Cool Whites. Still waiting on 4 Royal Blues.

M3-.5 Screws 8mm in length from Smallparts.com with nylon washers.

All in one constant current drivers from Ebay. 55.00 each 1 is 680ma the other is 700 and dimmable with a 5 volt source. These have enough forward voltage to drive 14 led in series.Yeah expensive but he wouldn't drop his prices.

Driver link, this is the one with var output; Same seller has the 700ma driver I purchased and a 1000ma driver available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=360092786017

Tap is on order.

I'll start pictures very soon.

First picture, heat sink was scanned and then placed on op of heat sink. Dots indicate future Drill and tapping locations.

post-36786-1228078327_thumb.jpg

Watching and waiting. I wonder how much energy you will save total? Also can you keep SPS?

If I had a killa watt meter I could tell you exactly since the LED set-up is going in a spare hood. Should be a substantial savings regardless.

Well, 24 LEDs at 3W should get you 72W. By the time you factor in the efficiency loss of the drivers and power supply, you are probably looking at about 80-85W total draw. No bad considering the amount of light.

72w of LED is comparable to how many watts of MH or T5? Trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to build a LED setup for my 20L or just buy a 30" T5 or MH setup. (I'm cheap)

72w of LED is comparable to how many watts of MH or T5? Trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to build a LED setup for my 20L or just buy a 30" T5 or MH setup. (I'm cheap)

If your thinking initial cost you would be better off with a T5/MH setup. Maybe Evil could chime in. My thoughts it will be less than a 150 halide if your talking PAR.

Made some progress, the heat sink has been drilled and tapped. Monday is mounting the stars with arctic silver. I'll be working on the wiring also. The drivers will be external on there own heat sink.

It should be about 150W levels. Maybe just under. That many LEDs in a tight arrangement will yeild some good numbers. Use optics and it will be even better.

• 4 weeks later...

Long time since an update, 12 day power failure here in the NE turned my attention to keeping the 120 alive. And then of course the Holidays.

!2 Blues Luxeon Leds mounted and tested, now the problem, it appears mixing Cree with Luxeon is not working,only the first 3 led's are lighting at all they just flash off and on.

So would it be logical to assume the voltage is insufficient and eliminate the 4 luxeon and just run the 8 Cree??

Long time since an update, 12 day power failure here in the NE turned my attention to keeping the 120 alive. And then of course the Holidays.

!2 Blues Luxeon Leds mounted and tested, now the problem, it appears mixing Cree with Luxeon is not working,only the first 3 led's are lighting at all they just flash off and on.

So would it be logical to assume the voltage is insufficient and eliminate the 4 luxeon and just run the 8 Cree??

Never mind,found the problem bad solder joint.

The drivers listed run the 12 blue fine but do not have the forward voltage required to run more than 8 Cree and 3 Luxeon. Looks like I run 11 whites instead of 12.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I am, cut a few notches to improve air flow, need to isolate the fan wires so they will turn on with the led array. Not much more to do now, I think it will look awesome and completely stock looking which was what I was trying to accomplish.

• 3 months later...
masterbuilder
tank could use a little cleaning. nice retro

Whoa...what ya growing...coraline? Is a nice retro though.

Whoa...what ya growing...coraline? Is a nice retro though.

LOL yeah the damn pink coraline is a pain to scrape,rounded corners don't help either.

A little better now, of course now the water is pink!

post-36786-1243198686_thumb.jpg

Archived