Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LED Retro into Current USA fixture

evilc66

Well, I'm sure some of you knew I have been up to something. Well, the cat is officially out of the bag.

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0008_1.jpg

This started life as a Current USA 1x18W Satellite fixture, but didn't stay that way for long. Inside it's sleek black exterior lies an LED array consisting of 4 Q5 whites (1A), 5 Cree blues (700mA), and one UV (700mA). The amount of light is perfect for a pico, and everyone knows that these fixtures fit perfectly on many different tanks, including JBJ Picotopes, Finnex 4g (pictured), and AGA 2.5g.

Everything is fan cooled, and adjustable.

DSC_0041.jpg

You can see the adjustment pots on the side for the whites and the blues. The ability to adjust the color temp and brightness is great. Even with all the LEDs turned all the way up, it gives a very crisp 14K look, but can be adjusted from 6500K to 20,000K+.

The blue LEDs do a great job at adding fluorescence to the corals.

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

I even went to the pains of keeping the stock on/off swich and the moonlight.

DSC_0047.jpg

Sorry for the flash.

DSC_0043.jpg

The numbers on this are pretty nice too. I did a direct comparison to what most of us use for picos; The Current USA Dual 18W Satellite.

Current USA Dual 18W Satellite (@ 14"):

Lux: 2080

PAR: 42

New LED fixture (@ 14"):

Lux: 4400

PAR: 130

(PAR measurements were taken with an Apogee QMSW-SS Quantum Meter, Sunlight setting)

Nice little improvement! It's a considerable upgrade from PCs, and gets close to a 70W MH at that depth, but without all the heat and evaporation.

I know that a lot of people love the idea of having an LED setup, but don't have the know how or the tools to get it done effectively. If there is interest for these, I am going to set up a group buy for them in the classifieds section. I'd like to get a minimum of five, but can work with less or more. I'll leave the pricing details there so as to not break any of the rules.

Group Buy

What do you think?

(Mods, sorry if this isn't kosher. Let me know and I'll change things)

clownfish1124

awesome! i wish i could just mail you my fixture and pay for supplies, labor, etc because i am not handy! maybe for my next pico project i will try to do some leds

Swiftsparks, follow the link to the group buy at the bottom of the first post. Price is listed there.

Clownfish1124, maybe we can work something out. Shoot me a PM.

What about the ballast, endcaps etc that you take from the fixture?

Add $10 and I'll throw everything in. Bulb, ballast, socket, and reflector. Jer, if you want them and not the fixture, I have a set here if you want.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This has been a long work in progress and I think the results came out well. I absolutely love the color it gives to my tank, and makes my Astralux look pathetic in comparison.

Whats nice here is that, while there is an increase in light, it's not so much that all the corals are shocked from the change. The only thing I'm bummed about is that my huge ric is still a huge ric :) I was hoping he would shrink a little now that there is more light.

evilc66,

truely a work of art and science! Now, if you crank out the 14"/16" fixtures and I do 20" fixtures (like my Coralife), we can open a business ;)

Great work, that looks fantastic. :)

I've spent most of my time of late trying to figure out how I was going to house my own LED project once i've built the prototype on breadboard etc.

Are you running those LED's at their max current ratings, ie 1A for the Q5 Whites and 700mA for the blues ?

I saw these mentioned in the first post of this thread but wasn't sure whether you were actually driving them at that level or not. :)

Thats the max current set by the drivers, and the max current that the measurements were taken at.

Still working on that underside shot for you. ElFab wanted it too.

Does running the LED's at the max rated current shorten their lifespan? I'd sort of got it into my head that driving them at the top end wasn't a good idea long term. Not sure where I got the notion from. :D

You can drive them as hard as you want providing that you can get rid of the heat. As long as you can keep the die temperatures under the max temp threshold (150C for these LEDs) you will get a long life from them.

• 1 year later...

Archived