Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cricket's AP12 adventure

oceanahollic

I decided to do another tank, this time a ap12. I have learned alot from my last tank, that is also still in the works. This time i wanted to do some thing a little different and more planned out.

I ordered a deflector and i am to soon put a mj 900 or a 1200 to replace the stock pump, not sure which one yet. I also did some tahitian moon sand becasue i have seen some very cool tanks here on the forum. I love how the colors really stand out with a black substrate. I added the sand and then the mixed water slowly and let it sit for a couple of days. the next step i took was to add a few chunks of rock from my 24 and let them sit there and i will be adding more slowly until i have like 12 or 15 pounds or so. in like a month or longer i will probally add a small CUC to eat the algae and what not. then the plan will be to wait another month or so and then maybe add a fish of some sort, not sure what yet. So i will add some pics now and then and all comments are welcome. Thanks guys and gals :D

Picture047.jpg

Picture049.jpg

Picture050.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is another pic several days later. the params are amonia 0, trites 0, trates i think around .20, ph is at 7.8. and phosphates are at 0. Not sure if i should wait or add a cuc yet.

Picture051.jpg

Thanks for the input. as of today though the brown is trying to clear up. still a little and some green algae. It may look gross for now but its gonna go through this stage i know and clear up eventually. i will be getting a cuc hopefully next saturday to help clean that, "GROSS", up. I am gonna get a mag float and more lr and a mj1200 to help out. I am determined to do this one right and a little different. Maybe your gross coment will change after a while. But i am not in a hurry especially when bein in a hurry turns things even worse.

Hi,

The first cricket equipment bore little resemblance to what's used today. The original bats looked much like a modern hockey stick. You can know more information from www(dot)morrant(dot)com.

Dang, I forgot to laugh i guess. What??????? Anyways, I got some more rock with corraline and a few apatasia but i am killing them off asap. I got 5 more pounds on Friday December 7th, pearl harbor day, and a cuc with five ceriths, two asterinas, one blue and one red crab. I did more tests, amonia and trates at 0 but I got a stronger reading on the trates at a deep orange so i guess from .20 to .30. Water change or what does every one think?? I will post pics as soon as i get my camera back here in an hour or so.

Well It has been about a month. all my params were the same and the green film algae and alot of the brown has dissapeared except for some brown dots and a little hair algae. I added in five more pounds of live rock with corraline and a clean up crew. today i woke up and did my tests, amonia and trites still at zero, but my trates went up on the color scale to orange which says around 20 maybe slightly more. So i did a five gallon water change and tested again and the tests still say at 20. so i put two pics, one before the water change and one after i cleaned up the glass for the first time and did the five gallon water change.

Picture062.jpg

Picture063.jpg

• 4 months later...
oceanahollic

Its been a while since i have posted, along while. Well a couple months ago i put some xenia to see how things were going, took me a long time to get rid of the nitrates as they were at 80ppm and red on my card, but after waiting and waiting and watching the algae dissapear i retested much later on and they were like at 10, so i finally put my first fish, a marshall island fire angel, man i have been wanting him for like a year now. He has been in there for like two and a half weeks and eating great and swimming, looking very healthy. I have a big aptasia problem and will be getting some aptasiax or a lysmata aka peppermint shrimp soon. Other than that the purple and pink and red corraline has been growing on the back wall and the rocks quite well which tells me my tank is maturing nicely and healthy like. here are a few pics of todays tank.....

Picture074.jpg

Archived