Cultivated Reef

Finding Orchid Dottyback

Khayman

I hope some one out there in reef world can help me. My GF bought an Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani), link.

We added the fish to my 24G and as we were told it darted into the LR. We seen it the next day and it looked fine. The unfortunate part is my conch got wedged in my LR so I had to rescue him and rescape my LR. Everything other than the orchid was fine. While moving the LR the Orchid was nowhere to be seen. I figured he was hiding under my base LR that I never moved. It sits directly in the bottom of my tank, and creats some small caves.

The problem is that in the last 4 days we have not seen the Orchid Dottyback. I am concerned that it may be stuck somewhere in my LR. Am I over worrying? What should I do? I am considering removing all my LR to find it. Is this advisable?

When I've had them, they will tend to go MIA for a few days, then suddenly re-appear... Just give it time or "spy" on your tank from a distance where it wouldn't see you, they can be quite timid when people are around, but will be all out in front when no one is there.

^+1. They can hide in the most impossible nooks and crannies.

Mine turned into the terror of the tank and it took manual removal of every rock while inspecting every hole and crevice until I found him. He now lives in my LFS's display with a sign on the tank that says "Cujo".

-Prof

I have one, along with a Coral Beauty and two True Percs - all get along fine. The dottyback likes to hide in his caves. He creates caves underneath the rocks and makes tunnels. He comes out with a mouthful of sand and spits it everywhere while he's constructing. I'm sure he's in there making a tunnel and will come out when he feels comfortable in his new surroundings.

I see mine the most when I'm sitting/standing away from the tank. He doesn't like me up close for some reason...

Archived