Pod Your Reef

Codeman's 5.5 Reef! Blasto & Acan frags!

Codeman

Codeman's 5.5 w/ 10 G Sump!

Insert most recent FTS here:

DSC02500.jpg

SO, I'm finally going to start a tank thread for this thing since I talk about it enough. It's one week old today and Diatom growth has started off well.

Anyway, I have several projects lined up for it to be completed over the next couple months.

They include:

• Drilling the tank and installing an overflow for a 10 gallon sump
  • Building the sump
  • Tearing off the hood, replacing with new fixture --> rim tearoff = fail, tank broke. Waiting for light.
  • Somehow adjusting the pump to match the speed of my overflow
  • Getting a quieter pump
  • Building media rack and cutting down on entrance splash/noise
  • Oh yeah, ADDING LIVESTOCK! (Ongoing!)

Tank specs:

Birthdate: October 24th, 2008

5.5 gallon AGA Aquarium - Drilled w/ glass-holes.com overflow box

10 Gallon Sump, fuge w/chaeto & LR Rubble, media rack soon to come!

Heater - 50 Watt Visi-Therm Stealth

Pump - Koralia Nano

Lighting - Current Dual Satellite18 Watt PC w/lunar light

Return Pump - Rio 1100 plus, changing to Quiet One 800 or 1200

6.6 Lbs Live Rock

10 Lbs Live Sand

Temp: 78° - 80° F

pH: 8.2

Fish:

Mated Pair of Neon Gobies

DSC02444.jpg

CUC:

Tons of Dwarf Ceriths

~ 4 Florida Ceriths

~ 5 Nerites

1 Blue Leg Hermit (Planning on more)

2 Scarlet Reef Hermits

1 Peppermint Shrimp - RIP, Lee Harvey

1 Emerald Crab

Corals:

Mini Colony Eagle Eyes

DSC02313.jpg

Frilly Mushroom

DSC02314.jpg

Purple Mushroom

Green Star Polyps

Trumpet Coral

DSC02450.jpg

Colony of Multi-Colored Palys

GSP

Ricordeas

DSC02442.jpg

Yellow Polyps

Comments and advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking at my tank!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks great so far! Cabinet looks very slick, I had a long fight with those anemones too, think I finally bested them!

Thanks!

It's mostly 3/4 inch plywood. I hope I don't see anymore of those nems.

It took me about 4 days of poking 'em to make them all die. At least I hope they're all dead now! I haven't seen any in 3 days so that's a very good sign at least. Lemon juice does wonders! Muahahaha!

Looks cool, What are you going to be keeping in the tank?

I'm thinking a Green Clown Goby, Maybe a Neon Blue Stripe Goby, softies, mushrooms, etc.

Nice rock and layout...

Had you thought about painting the back?

Thanks!

I'm probably going to paint it black after I drill it.

I was struggling with those nems too. I injected them with a syringe full of lime juice (which they didn't like) about 30 minutes later I vacuumed them off the rock with a siphon made of hard air line tubing. Worked really well. If you have trouble getting rid of the give it a try.

Cheers

NRG

I was struggling with those nems too. I injected them with a syringe full of lime juice (which they didn't like) about 30 minutes later I vacuumed them off the rock with a siphon made of hard air line tubing. Worked really well. If you have trouble getting rid of the give it a try.

Cheers

NRG

I killed off those two with boiling distilled water and no sign of them since.

Not much happening the past few days since I ran out of cash :D

But yesterday my overflow box kit came from Glass-Holes.com. I recommend them highly! I ordered from the Friday, they shipped my package on a Saturday (no businesses do this) and I received it Monday. Mike is also sending me a slightly larger overflow box that comes pre-drilled and with teeth just because I asked a couple questions.

So here's pics of the kit (it also included a diamond coated glass drilling bit and piece of candy):

DSC02265.jpg

Top down view of box

DSC02266.jpg

Frontal view of box

So once I get paid Thursday, things will pick up again. I plan on plumbing the sump and drilling the tank Friday and/or through the weekend. Again, any suggestions regarding using glass or acrylic for baffles in the sump? I have silicone to put glass in, but I'm afraid of it getting broken by live rock and I can't cut teeth into it. But I don't know how to bond acrylic to glass...

I'm also expecting some of my CUC that I ordered from reefcleaners.org to arrive in the next 2 days. I should be getting 3 Florida Ceriths, 5 Dwarf Ceriths and 3 small Nerites.

More updates soon to come!

Cool setup!!!

What LFS do you go to in MA?

My favorite is Lovely Pets in Quincy Center.

Know of any other good ones around?

My favorite is Lovely Pets in Quincy Center.

Know of any other good ones around?

I used to go lovely pets alot. It was closest to the south shore and easier to get. When I did go there I found the coral selection over priced and they didn't have much nice stuff. Check out Skipton's Pets in Boston they have a great selection. CRA in Seekonk, Ma is said to be the best store but I haven't been there.

What's Lovely Pets like now? I haven't been there in a little less than a year. Are the corals still not that good?

I used to go lovely pets alot. It was closest to the south shore and easier to get. When I did go there I found the coral selection over priced and they didn't have much nice stuff. Check out Skipton's Pets in Boston they have a great selection. CRA in Seekonk, Ma is said to be the best store but I haven't been there.

What's Lovely Pets like now? I haven't been there in a little less than a year. Are the corals still not that good?

I was there a week and a half ago and the selection was pretty good, but most weren't marked with prices. Plus I wasn't shopping for corals yet anyway. Their live rock is fully cured and only 5.99/lb so that's nice.

I'm on the south shore so that's the best/closest place around really. I'll look into Skipton's though.

I was there a week and a half ago and the selection was pretty good, but most weren't marked with prices. Plus I wasn't shopping for corals yet anyway. Their live rock is fully cured and only 5.99/lb so that's nice.

I'm on the south shore so that's the best/closest place around really. I'll look into Skipton's though.

I'll have to check Lovely Pets out sometime. Yeah I'm on the south shore too, it stinks being so far away from a decent LFS.

I'll have to check Lovely Pets out sometime. Yeah I'm on the south shore too, it stinks being so far away from a decent LFS.

I know right?

We should start a South Shore Reefer's Club! :P

2 Members and growing. Hahaha

Lemme know if you ever need any zoa frags.

There's gonna be a Boston Reefers Society meeting Rockland.

2 Members and growing. Hahaha

Lemme know if you ever need any zoa frags.

There's gonna be a Boston Reefers meeting Rockland.

Cool, thanks.

When are they meeting?

You should put your heater, temp and stuff in your fuge. More space = more corals! :D

Oh, I plan on it. I want the display to look as natural as possible. The sump just isn't running yet, that's all.

Hi Codeman

FYI Boston Reefers Society next meeting

Nov 22 Sat - John Coppolino - Author and Dwarf Angelfish expert, diver.

Knights of Columbus, 440 Webster St, Rockland MA

We almost always have a frag swap after the speaker.

Archived