Cultivated Reef

Smurf's 29g Blog 11-26-2008*

Smurf

Hello, my name is Smurf.

I'm way too lazy to try to "blog" on another site. So I'll use this site as a blog/tank journal. Hope the people on NR don't mind my constant blabbings about my day or what I find cool. I'll most probably gonna post alotta pics of my room, what I do in my room. What I do for my spare time, and alotta alotta pics.

I decided to use this site as my blog on about page 5? So the first couple pages are my tank journal.

Don't trip.

sam.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So..Just to let everyone know what I'm working on so far. Lol, sorry this wasn't made long ago. Wanted to wait till my tank was half decent before I made a thread. IDK why, but here are the pics.

I took my 10g down and made it into a macro Algae farm, transferred everything besides the sand to my 29g.

FTS 10-20-2008

10-20-2008001-1.jpg

Some top downs:

10-20-2008003.jpg

10-20-2008004.jpg

10-20-2008005.jpg

Acro Growth:

9-8-2008

9-8-2008005.jpg

9-22-2008

9-22-2008001.jpg

10-14-2008

10-14-2008062.jpg

10-14-2008064.jpg

10-14-2008065.jpg

As you can see within the couple days I had it, it really colored up.

I know.. :(

But Its okay! Its a new start! I'm trying to trace back to those though. I've been PMing those who helped me. See if I can get frags of what used to be mine! :P

If anyone who bought from me before have frags ready to sell, I'm willing to buy or trade! ;)

Acro Growth:

9-8-2008

9-8-2008005.jpg

9-22-2008

9-22-2008001.jpg

10-14-2008

10-14-2008062.jpg

10-14-2008064.jpg

10-14-2008065.jpg

As you can see within the couple days I had it, it really colored up.

What key info can you provide to keeping beautiful sps corals like yours?

Well, honestly. She's right under the 150w HQI's so that could be it. But I do 5% wc's every 2 or 3 days or so. Then do the full 10% at the end of the week. really quite easy. :D

And Flow flow flow!

So if I am throwing a 70w MH 14K with 2x13w actinics over my tank, would that be sufficient. I have a BC as you might already know and have the hydor nano with maxijet 900 return with hydor deflector. Would you say that is enough, or should I add maybe even another hydor nano/1?

I do about 10% water changes every 4/5 days. Sometimes a week. I treat my saltwater to keep levels up when I do the water changes. Is mag and ca the most important to keep up?

What kind of water are you using? The reason why I do more frequent w/c's is cause of my demanding corals/clam. You should be fine man. As long as your params check out.

I saw how much flow you have with all your parts also. You'll be fine. Like I said. Params params params. I don't check as frequently now. But I do before every water change.

Aight I'm using RO water from my house. We have an under the sink system and I just take out 2 gallons every so often. I keep about 5-10 gallons for backup and usually have 2-4 gallons of saltwater mixed.

The RO water at my work isn't as good because we are waiting for a new RO system cause the filters were going out and the owner decided why not buy a really good RO unit for a little more.

So the lighting and flow should be alright?

Thanks for all of your help.

Jon

Edit: Is checking before a wc more prefered than after so you know what to dose to raise levels?

No worries. Keep me posted about everything. I favored your tank thread so I'll be in and outta your thread. But keep me updated!

The RO water you get should be fine, and always have a back up. Before you do water changes, also remember to match the temp and salinity before you add the water.

Looks like I have made a new friend haha. I'll keep you updated without a doubt. Seems to me like you have been doing this for longer than I have.

When I do water changes I mix the salt for about a day or longer. I have been slowly rising the salinity right now because it was at about 1.022 and I prefer 1.025. When I do water changes in the future I will definitely measure them out with my new refractometer coming in this week. :D

Is it possible to keep the temp consistent if I am running a chiller? I know you can throw a heater in the bucket but my room right now is 80.6F. The tank is at 76.3 with the chiller on atm. So when I do a water change the chiller usually kicks right in. I also don't turn the chiller or chiller pump off when I do water changes.

When I mix up my water is it best just to put RO water and salt in the bucket and put additives in the tank(rear chamber). I think I might start doing this when I test parameters before water changes that way I have a better hold on how much of an additive to add. What is your suggestion?

For the additives. I would say, add according to how much you need. Test params, do w/c, add accordingly. Do you know what I'm saying? Haha, sometimes I have my moments :ninja:

I would say after everything, water change done and things are settling kick your chiller on. I'm pretty sure temp is no problem for you. Temperatures and your system are kind of but not really forgiving. I'd say changing the temp for about 5 mins won't stress things out too much. As long as the fluctuations are within 1-2 degrees apart. And remember, 1-2 degrees is ALOT.

And a new friend? OF COURSE!!! :D I've been reefing for about a year now but have been through quite alot in the hobby. I had a 10g that I converted into a macro algae farm. But I'm no pro. I'll tell you what I know of course though!

Also, I'm very curious. How much have you spent on Hardware alone? It really looks like your getting everything that I've always wanted. :lol:

For the additives. I would say, add according to how much you need. Test params, do w/c, add accordingly. Do you know what I'm saying? Haha, sometimes I have my moments :ninja:

I would say after everything, water change done and things are settling kick your chiller on. I'm pretty sure temp is no problem for you. Temperatures and your system are kind of but not really forgiving. I'd say changing the temp for about 5 mins won't stress things out too much.

haha I understand the w/c thing. I just leave my chiller on. It kicks on by itself so when it gets up to 79F it kicks it down to about 76/77. So test before every water change, do a 10% water change weekly, and then add additives. I add stress coat, stress zyme, tank clarifier, aquavitro fuel (ignites coral growth), aquavitro alpha (removes chlorine, chloramines, & ammonia and detoxifies nitrite and nitrate), and aquavitro ions (raises magnesium). I can really only test for magnesium, so should I add the recommended amount of the others to the tank after every water change??

I would say so after every w/c to replenish what you need. But I would say you don't need to add stress coat, tank clarifier/ and stress zyme. For me, I have never dosed anything in my tank. But I DO have more work on my hands. Its all up to my personal preference though. For me, its more Biological and less Chemical. As for testing. Try using API Reef master test kits. Thats what I use and I highly recommend it. It tells me what I need to do and what needs to happen fast.

However that

aquavitro alpha (removes chlorine, chloramines, & ammonia and detoxifies nitrite and nitrate)
sounds quite interesting. I've never read up on it.
I would say so after every w/c to replenish what you need. But I would say you don't need to add stress coat, tank clarifier/ and stress zyme. For me, I have never dosed anything in my tank. But I DO have more work on my hands. Its all up to my personal preference though. For me, its more Biological and less Chemical. As for testing. Try using API Reef master test kits. Thats what I use and I highly recommend it. It tells me what I need to do and what needs to happen fast.

However that sounds quite interesting. I've never read up on it.

So stress coat, tank clarifier, and stress zyme shouldn't hurt though right? The alpha product is a pretty cool product. I need to get my nitrates down so hopefully tomorrow I can pick up some chaeto.

I actually use API Reef master test kits haha. Along with salifert mag and PH.

Quote from alpha bottle: "It converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form this is readily utilized by beneficial bacteria and reef inhabitants such as clams."

Don't know if it does that or not but why not try it haha.

Thanks for the info again.

That's great! See! You don't need me! Your doing great bro. Don't stress. Haha. The Stress Coat and other things will not hurt, as far as I know. I used to use stress coat also, no bad affects noticed?

Chaeto works wonders...macro algae is the worlds answer to all its problems. =D

Archived