ReefCleaners.org

JDigital's 75G "No-Powerhead" Tank Build.

JDigital

Figured I would post up my 75G tank build here. I had it originally running earlier this year, but just too many things that I didn't think about with my original build, so before it got completely stocked, I decided to tear it down and start from scratch.

First was Building the stand for it.

IMG00242.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Once the stand was built and brought back to my place, I went and picked up the 75G tank I had waiting for me at the LFS.

75onstand.jpg

First things first, was to drill my return lines. (This is prior to the original setup that I tore apart)

tankdrill.jpg

bulkheads.jpg

From the return holes being drilled, is the part of history where I had the tank up and running for a couple months.. then I tore it all apart and one of my main changes was to design a closed loop system on tank. No More Powerheads (I really don't like seeing them.. :P ) So I drilled my CL holes in the floor of the tank.

CLbulks.jpg

I added an adhesive vinyl backing, and because I am so far thinking about a sub-structure, I added vinyl to the ends to hide the substructure from viewing.

background1.jpg

CL1.jpg

My plumbing for the CL.

plumbing75.jpg

My lighting also showed up at the LFS this week, a bit early for the build, but always nice to have it.

I went with the Galaxy Dual 250W Electronic Ballast with Lumen Max 3 Reflectors. Still need to order my T5 TEK retrofit kit for supplemental light.

250MH.jpg

250MH2.jpg

I know the reflectors are different in the pics, but that problem has since been resolved. -_-

And, tomorrow I can hopefully get a start on the plumbing for the system, since I was able to pick up my Reeflo Snapper pump for the CL.

Now that you are all caught up... Hopefully you can follow along. :lol:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh, nice lights.

Question...: Isn't your tank being held by shear stress on the screws? Won't they potentially give over time, versus a static load directly on a vertical support?

Ooh, nice lights.

Question...: Isn't your tank being held by shear stress on the screws? Won't they potentially give over time, versus a static load directly on a vertical support?

The 2x6's that are on edge are on top of the vertical suppert posts. Might be tricky to see in the pics, but it is supported properly, and not all by the screws -_- ... It's a pretty rock solid stand.

looking good can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm getting ready to set up my 75 soon but i'm thinkin

about t5 instead of halides I want a closed canopy.

I thought the bottom of 75's were tempered glass?

good luck on the build.

^^

Thanks! Look forward to seeing your thread when you start.

It was a Reef Ready tank when I bought it, So didn't really have any concerns when I drilled it. If it woulda cracked, I would have gone and bought a 125G.. That was my backup plan.. :lol:

Pretty much finished my closed loop tonight.. got a couple more joints to glue, buts its basically done.

CLreturns.jpg

Should be finished by tomorrow :D

why is that the overflow in the picture of the tank on the stand clean, but theres coralline algae on the overflow when you have the CL installed???

masterbuilder

Love it so far....I hate the look of powerheads in the display. I see so many wonderful tanks that people put hundreds of hours making look so natural. ..... then stick a couple of HUGE powerheads right in front of everything. There are so many easy ways to get around that. Keep us updated.

Love it so far....I hate the look of powerheads in the display. I see so many wonderful tanks that people put hundreds of hours making look so natural. ..... then stick a couple of HUGE powerheads right in front of everything. There are so many easy ways to get around that. Keep us updated.

Haha! That is my EXACT reason for building this tank.. :lol: Will definitely keep this up dated. Hope to have water in by end of the weekend.

Couple updated shots from tonight...

Got most of my return plumbing done, just a quick link up to the return pump and I'm set. Not sure what to do with my closed loop pump though... I was thinking of scrapping my Fuge (on the right hand side of sump) in the sump and just placing the pump in that section to keep all the plumbing under/in the stand... just not sure if thats a good idea, and it can't go above my sump on a shelf because I don't have the clearance for it.. I'm also contemplating on moving the tank somewhere else in the room so I can place some bar stools infront of the tank, which obviously would affect my decision on the placement of the CL pump.

Any ideas on the CL pump??

newplumbing.jpg

ftsshot11.jpg

Plumbing update......

IT'S DONE!!! :happydance:

... and I must say, I think it turned out quite well. I decided to take the Snapper out of the "old" refuge section in my sump, and added a "deck" to the right side of my stand which is up against the wall, so should keep the pump fairly hidden, and also will allow me to incorporate the refuge still.. Win/Win!

Pics:

75plumb1.jpg

75plumb2.jpg

75plumb3.jpg

75plumb4.jpg

75plumb5.jpg

And I also ended up moving the tank from where it originally was:

75plumb6.jpg

^^^ That came to a quick stop after finding a few leaks in my Closed loop. :angry:

1 @ 2" Bulkhead (Drained the tank, dried, seal with silicone)

1 @ 1" CL Return

1 @ CL pump intake

1 @ CL pump output

The last two weren't exactly as easy to fix... but probably a blessing that they did leak, as it provided me the chance to add in 2 ball valves before the union couplers, so I can prevent my tank from emptying when it comes time to service the pump.. DUH, :slap: can't believe I forgot those. :blink:

Just need to let the newly cemented joints cure, and I can take a run at round 2 of filling the tank. :lol:

75plumb7.jpg

Well, For whoever is following my build thread, you will know that I had originally planned to scrap the fuge and store my CL pump in there, but that changed, so now I have my fuge area back, but not sure what method to choose...

1. BB w/ Live Rock and Chaeto, plus a phosban reactor

2. DSB w/ Chaeto, plus Phosban

3. DSB w/ Live rock, Chaeto, and Phosban

Unlike my previous plumbing setup, this time I don't have a line running to the fuge from the overflow, so I was thinking about getting a small 50-75gph pump to setup in the skimmer section of my sump with a section of hose and use that for my fuge feed line. My Fuge measures 10x18x15.

Any suggestions for/against any of this?

Cheers.

Got my canopy framed this weekend, still need to get it skinned though.. and test fitting my MH's today...

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it... need to order my T5 retrofit soon.

lights.jpg

i see water! this is gonna be an awesome build!

Yea, water is finally flowing full tilt.. :lol: I modded the stock overflow last night though, as I didn't like how it was handling the water surge into the overflow box.. Will get pics soon.

Thanks -_-

Tank is coming along great! No powerheads will be awesome! I miss the shimmer of MH. My 125 does need new lights...hmmmm.

What kind of sandbed are you planning in the display? Any ideas on livestock yet?

Looks good, and I like the idea of no powerheads in the display, very clean look. :)

Thanks! bit early for Christmas hats isn't it? ;)

Tank is coming along great! No powerheads will be awesome! I miss the shimmer of MH. My 125 does need new lights...hmmmm.

What kind of sandbed are you planning in the display? Any ideas on livestock yet?

Yea, i don't think I could do complete T5's, lots of color opportunities, but the lack of shimmer kinda takes away from the natural underwater Ocean look.

Not sure on the sandbed yet, but probably as white as possible... OR black ( I really like it in my 10G)

My goodness. That tank ALREADY looks beaufitul.

Thanks! Hoping to get it aquascaped soon. :D

very cool tank!!!

what kind of silicome did you use in the sump? it looks white, which i'm pretty sure IS NOT reef safe. I think it has chemicals in it to fight mold that are no good for coral.

Archived