Cultivated Reef

9G Nano Reef

joe faria

Hi,

This is my first post, and I'm glad that I can show you what I'm planning... I should say as well I got no experience on keeping marines, but only 15 years with FW and 4 years with nano planted tanks and FW invertebrates.

This tank will be a 40x40x30 cm (48L) with a built in sump/fuge. It will house some small frags or colonies of soft corals and a pair of firefish Nemateleotris magnifica or Nemateleotris decora.

I made a sketch of it.

reefcube-6.jpg

A - overflow box

B - Chaetomorpha fuge

C - heater and midia place (activated carbon, chemipure if needed)

D - return pump

After some DIY, I've done a cube... first some leaks at the base and after being sorted, this is the result.

reefcube.jpg

Still waiting for the acrilic to finish the sump/fuge.

Already got:

11 pounds of LR waiting in a container,

11 pounds of crushed coral sand ,

Hydor Pico pump 200 gal/h (adjustable flow)

2x T5 8w (14000k) luminaire

reefcube-4.jpg

Need to buy:

Luminaire 24w PC actinic

Refractometer

One of the good things in Portugal, it's you can colect your own natural sea water, wich I will alternate with homemade seawater every week.

This is the spot where I'm colecting the natural sea water and an excuse to take my son to the beach.

reefcube-2.jpg

reefcube-1.jpg

Regards,

Joe Faria

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Finish my DIY sump/fuge.... this is how looks like

reefcube-7.jpg

Tomorrow will try to finish the pump connection and it will be ready for action.

Got a question... What you think on this guys Lysmata debelius aka Blood Shrimp? What's is your opinion about them in a 10G tank?

Regards,

Joe Faria

Got a question... What you think on this guys Lysmata debelius aka Blood Shrimp? What's is your opinion about them in a 10G tank?

Hey...thanks for replies :unsure::P

Regards,

Joe Faria

Hi,

Today I finished all the DIY stuff... time to fill the tank and enjoy a new tank :D

reefcube-8.jpg

reefcube-9.jpg

Now I need to wait the tank it's fully matured and start to add livestock.

Regards,

Joe Faria

reefcube-9.jpg

Now I need to wait the tank it's fully matured and start to add livestock.

Regards,

Joe Faria

Lookin' good. Just a suggestion. You could just put "Regards, Joe Faria" in your signature so you don't have to type it all the time. Only a suggestion.

Lookin' good. Just a suggestion. You could just put "Regards, Joe Faria" in your signature so you don't have to type it all the time. Only a suggestion.

I will accept your sugestion... and it's done

Finally found your tank thread! Now that's a cool DIY tank!!! I'm impressed :o

Thanks mate :D

Things get quite special, when you do your own stuff.

I like your rockscape with sand bed surrounding it... the crushed shell bed might trap detritus though :huh: Hows' the flow in the tank?

If problems arise, a water change will sort, and some vacuum as well...

Water flow it's provided by an Hydor Pico pump rated for 200gal/h.

Anymore update?

Hi Jervis,

Not yet mate.... tank still cycling.

Just add a few cocktail shrimp to speed up things a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Time for an update...

The majano have been removed after a cople of days in the tank... I've noticed both during their time looking for a place to stay, they touched in a few coral's.... after that the same coral's looked burned. That hapenned to my sarcophyton coral and two sinularia corals. Result: lost of corals. :crying:

I added as well aLysmata wurdemanni or peppermint shrimp, because I noticed a small colony of aiptasias in a small piece of rock. Result: aiptasias are gone :clapping:

Finally, I added a pair of clownfish Amphiprion ocellaris.

With this recent aditions, my intentions in having a pair of firefish and Lysmata debelius, were discarded.

Some pics:

small colny of zoanthus sp.

reefcube-39.jpg

more zoa's

reefcube058-1.jpg

reefcube059-1.jpg

sorry for the blurry pics of my clownfish

reefcube047-1.jpg

Hi,

Got an update with really bad news...

I had a problem with my boiler, and my dad gave me an hand putting a new one in place, when he banged with the old one in the tank. Result: my wife and dad in panic, 10g of water on the floor. :crying:

For now, I got the corals, clownfish, shrimp and CUC in a 5g tank, until I sort a new tank. Hopefully they will survive until there.

Hi,

Got some updates...

There´s no more reason to call this tank a cube, it will be a 9gal tank (ex - crypt tank)

Already torndown the crypt´s tank, and got all LV, corals, CUC and a little clownfish. :( , into the new tank. Bought new matured LR, smaller size crushed coral sand, and reduced the substrate height to about 2cm (less than inch).

Lost one clownfish during last night and at closer look, I've notice the little one had several injuries, so he suffered a bit until his death... :tears:

Sorry for the bad and blurry picks, but I was in a bad mood :rant:

reefcube001-1.jpg

reefcube006-1.jpg

reefcube011-1.jpg

reefcube011-1.jpg

reefcube013-1.jpg

reefcube005-1.jpg

reefcube012-1.jpg

Hi,

Today's pics....

reefcube020-1.jpg

reefcube006-2.jpg

reefcube007-2.jpg

reefcube018-1.jpg

Clownfish eating normally, zoa's started to open and moved this little one to another spot... btw need some ID on it.

And so far, everything looks good.

Such a shame... that DIY tank was muy bonito

Alas i like your new 9g nano. I am very happy to see that at least 1 of your clowns made it thru the disaster & is eating well.... i wish you the best of luck with your new 9g.... please keep us updated.

Such a shame... that DIY tank was muy bonito

Alas i like your new 9g nano. I am very happy to see that at least 1 of your clowns made it thru the disaster & is eating well.... i wish you the best of luck with your new 9g.... please keep us updated.

Thanks mate...hopefully I will get better luck now.

Tank is looking good.

Thanks

Archived