Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mikellini's 40g Long

mikellini

Hey everyone,

Well, I'm all moved in now, and just started to re-transfer everything back into the 40 long... It's a short 55g, dimensions 48x12x17.

I have had everything cooking in a 29, so I've been moving it rock-by-rock to allow for bacterial growth. I'm going with a 1.5" sand bed, allowing for some compression to a final depth of 1"... tried the DSB thing, didn't really like it, so I'm gonna go nice and simple. I'll post pics as it comes together. Here's where I'm at now:

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00103.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

The lighting will be 2x150w MH clamp ons... Coralife

And, I'm hoping the extra space will come in handy, it'll be easier to get behind the tank to scrape the glass and I might stick a nice big refugium back there too... Hopefully I can squeeze my butt through the bottom of the stand ;)

Woo a 40L I have one too :) I have the 48" T-5 Nova Extreme that I got for extremly cheap lol You r the only other person here that I have seen post this size tank..I have never started a thread on mine :rolleyes:

tagged for future updates

Maria

glen- I'm thinking LPS with some softies, and as for feesh, I have a female maroon and a sixline... adding to that a tang and maybe some chromis... I know, I'm a copycat

got2envy- Nobody has any of these tanks! Make a thread, it would be great to see. I think this tank size is great, it's kinda like an oversized 20 Long... and it really only fits 30 gallons, after sand and rock

I'm having issues with one of the ballasts for the clamp-on MHs, hopefully the warranty hasn't expired. I'll do a little testing on it today, maybe move another rock or two...

The background issue is still up in the air... I decided not to paint one on this time because it's nice to be able to use the back for the front if it ever scratches... Plus, I kind of like the depth it gives the tank, not having a BG. I just need to keep it clean and hide the power cords as best as possible. I may just go with a blue paper BG... suggestions?

glen- I'm thinking LPS with some softies, and as for feesh, I have a female maroon and a sixline... adding to that a tang and maybe some chromis... I know, I'm a copycat

how bout filtration?

I'm going with LR, skimming, and water changes for now... I've been on the fence for what seems like forever about whether or not to go with a sump/fuge... it just seems like for the cost and complexity, it's not worth it for me yet. I like to keep things nice and simple too, so the less equipment and plumbing, the better...

Here is the 29... looking kind of empty since I moved some of the LR. I'm going to transfer over the small rocks on the top with the ricordia, xenia, and mushroom when I move the light, but the rest of it is gonna be cooked to perfection... have a bit of bubble algae that I don't want to transfer over.

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

I thought I should make good on my word and clean the tank. It was about this time that I realized there wasn't as much room behind the tank as I thought

DSC00247.jpg

lol I was like wtf when I saw the pic...looks like your head is in the tank :haha: I don't have any room behind my tanks, they are against walls..except for dee 10g contest tank

So I got home tonight, and found the living room to be silent. Checked quickly, and judging by the light timer, everything had been off for 3 hours. Luckily, the cause was my GFCI:

DSC00256.jpg

Thank God... it wasn't wet, but it probably saved a fire or electrical damage... reset it and everything is working fine, I'll keep an eye on it. Best $15 I ever spent!

Ammonia and Nitrite are zeroes now, and everything is lookin' good, so I decided to do a little 'scape...

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00259.jpg

Still waiting on the Koralia 4 and a Stealth 150w heater, so the old K1 and el cheapo heater are doing the duty for now... I think the coral I'm transferring over will fill in the left side nicely, and then I'll make another 'island' on the right out of the cooked rock in a couple of months... more pics when the pump arrives, I'll do the transfer shortly after.

So....

The shipment was lost. Big surprise, only about half of the things sent to Fort Mac ever get here, I swear...

So, I called and got them to overnight it on a jet plane, with a nice little baby addition to my tank included... so if all goes according to plan, I should have pics tomorrow... and before I even get there, I am posting a no-flame plea to all of those following the thread :P

One suggestion for arranging the rocks: make a relatively large island on the left and put only one or two small rocks on the right. Try to avoid two equally dominant islands.

Nope, not quite... I'll be moving over a little more rock tonight and putting the rest in to cook, so it should be a little different the next time you see it... The right side will be bare for a little while though, I've heard it takes two months to really get the full benefit from cooking rock, but I'll have to play it by ear... and I may get a few more pieces as well. Thanks for looking Toomin, I loved your green tank!

Screename_116

I have a fourty long as well. My advice to you is to move the island a few inches to the right. Rock against the glass can restrict flow and you will gain some space there as well.

Archived