DSC_0720.jpg

just set it up:

20 long tank

30" current sundial light 4x24 t5 light

aquaclear 110 fuge

coralife mini 18w fuge light

2 hydor koralia 1 powerheads

100w eheim heater

13 gal caribe sea salt water (not much water after all the rock and sand).

30# of live rock (from an established tank)

25# of sand

I'm sure I wil have lots of questions. Eddie

I'm not sure what I'm going with. I was thinking of a couple of clowns, something to host them and some corals (not sure which). Maybe a cleaner shrimp or some cool crabs. Maybe a blenny or a goby? I am looking a other members tanks to get ideas. I'm going to try to take one step at a time (start with clean up crew when I start to get algae after the cycle. Anyone have recommendations on what my cuc should consist of?

Nice I am also setting up a20L after my 29 crashed after the Hurricane it was 5 days before I could get home and the tank was soup. I will be following your tread for ideas. I see we have the same light.

Like your ideas for stocking. For cleanup crew I have 8 blue leg hermits, 2 red leg and a Halloween hermit black and orange, nice but expensive. about 6 snails mixed.

Nice I am also setting up a20L after my 29 crashed after the Hurricane it was 5 days before I could get home and the tank was soup. I will be following your tread for ideas. I see we have the same light.

Like your ideas for stocking. For cleanup crew I have 8 blue leg hermits, 2 red leg and a Halloween hermit black and orange, nice but expensive. about 6 snails mixed.

That is a shame about your last tank. I look forward to following your latest efforts.

I am glad that I have started this one in the bathroom. I am learning how to manage the water without dripping it on the floor etc.

I wish my Aquaclear was a little more quiet. It seems to have started to rattle a bit (sounds like a buzz). I have ordered a new impeller. Hopefully it will be a little quieter. I removed three of the fins, but I don't remember it being this loud when I tested it.

I am looking at others 20l set ups, and it seems as if my rock (30#) doesn't fill the tank like others. I like the look, but I am wondering if this rock is really heavy? Does this mean it's biological capabilities aren't as good as the lighter rocks? Not much I can do about it now...just wunderin'.

Nitrates: 0 Nitrites: 0 Ammonia: 0 PH: 9

Algae is taking over.

A weird thing: the ammonia tests (API and Sera) turn kind of milky or pearly yellow. What's up with that?

Is the PH way too high? What could be causing that?

Thanks, Eddie

Algae is growing. #'s are still the same: Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0, PH 8-8.5. I still haven't seen any thing that looks like a cycle.

I see in your first post you said you have 30# of live rock, from an already established tank.

Most likely this live rock is already cured and is loaded with bacteria and with the minimal die-off, you never really noticed any readings.

What I would do is force another cycle and test. You need an ammonia source to start another cycle. Either pure ammonia or some fish food to rot in the tank will get this started.

If the live rock isn't established enough, then you'll be able to catch some ammonia and nitrite readings.

• 1 month later...

DSC_0902.jpgafter a couple of months watching the cup crew pick the rocks clean, I decided that 13g of water isn't that much, and I wanted to hide some equipment. After contacting glass-holes, I bought an overflow, some diamond hole saws and drilled the tank. I was surprised that it was pretty easy...even with sand, water and some rock in the tank.DSC_0901.jpg

what a mess!!!

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr350/habou/DSC_0904.jpg

DSC_0906.jpg

Nice work, is that a 10 gallon for the sump? If so I have the same setup up except i'm not drilled. I recomend the tunze nano skimmer and a visit to autotopoff.com. That light kicks ass. I can't wait untill it is time to put in new bulbs. I like how the bulbs are not full length, you can put your lower light demanding corals off to the side. Enjoy and please continue the updates.

The sump is a 20H.

My baby/tank sitter forgot to top the tank off while I was gone this weekend. The level was about 2" from the return pump.I am installing a Tunze osmolator right now. They couldn't have made the instructions and parts more confusing! I think I'll skip the brackets and velcro or double stick the sensors on the glass.

Maybe I will get a skimmer once I start to see some evidence of nitrates?

So far all I have seen is nitrite 0, nitrate 0, amonia 0, ph 8, cal 330, alk 8

• 1 month later...

I was at the LFS yesterday and she gave me a piece of montipora. I know that this is a difficult coral to keep, but it was too pretty to pass up. Will my tank be able to keep this coral happy?

nitrites 0

nitrates 0

amonia 0

ph 8.5

calcium 400

alkalinity 7

salinity 1.024

temp 77F

• 2 months later...

I really like this tank, I think it has a lot of potential.

That's a good light fixture for the tank, do you still have the stock bulbs in it or have you upgraded them?

When I had that fixture over my 20L I had 2 ATI Blue+, 1 ATI Aquablue and 1 KZ Fiji Purple bulbs in it and it looked GREAT.

Sounds like you're doing great in the circulation/filtration dept.

I can't believe you had the guts to drill that thing while it was part full!!

I would have been so nervous!!!

How do you have the plumbing set up, and what are you using for your return pump?

I actually think your rockwork looks great, I wouldn't worry about the rock at all.

Do get some kind of Clean-Up Crew in there to deal with the algae bloom you're seeing before it takes over.

I'm gonna move this thread to the Members Aquariums Forum, I think you'll get a better response there.

• 3 months later...

Nice setup Eddie, 20l's are so awesome. Looks like the 20h sump gives you plenty of room for the tunze I see. :)

Now just add some updated pics with that vortech!

Archived