Coral Vue Hydros

DIY Jawfish House

stoney waters

stoney waters

I originally posted this in my Expierience thread, but because of a rash of PM's enquiring about it I thought I would share it here as well.

I have always wanted a Blue Spot jawfish and when my LFS got a few in I jumped on the prettiest one. I figured my 2" deep sand bed was not quite enough so I decided to make a DIY burrow for the little guy

IMG_3430.jpg

and bury it in the sand.

IMG_3432-1.jpg

I brought her home the other day

IMG_3439.jpg

and she took right to her new home.

IMG_3440.jpg

:):):)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stoney waters
that is sick, im quite impressed with your creativity. however that might turn into a poopy factory no?

No, jawfish are excellent housekeepers. If anything falls inside that they don't approve of they will immediately eject it.

stoney waters
Does it still use the burrow pretty exclusively? I really like this idea, and would love one of these fish.

The original fish stayed in it for about three weeks until I forgot to replace the screen on the top and he decided to surf the carpet. My new one has stayed in it since July. They leave it at night and swim around but always return. I guess they like it better than anywhere else in the tank.

onefish2fish
No, jawfish are excellent housekeepers. If anything falls inside that they don't approve of they will immediately eject it.

did not know that, you learn something new everyday. i also learned that they go for $109 on thatpetplace.com

would yellowhead jawfish do the same and do they make good house wives as well?

stoney waters
would yellowhead jawfish do the same and do they make good house wives as well?

I dont see why not.

That's a great idea. What size PVC did you go with? What are the holes that you drilled in the PVC for?

I used 3/4" PVC. The holes were mainly for ventilation and to let air escape so it would stay submerged. Be sure the holes are small enough not to let sand drop in or your fish will spend all day scooping it up and spitting it out his hole.

omg thats one expensive fish....but it looks soooo cool. too bad it likes to hid most of the time. its like buying a ferrari that u dont drive...my neighbor has a 360 and its always in the garage with the the car cover on............

Very nice I may have to do this, I really like jawfish and wasnt going to get one but this may have changed things, lol cool idea.

Casey

That is a excellent idea. i wonder if it use the whole pipe system. Did you use some kind of putty on the shell? and what is it, a big hermit crab shell? I wanna do this hence all the questions.. PM teh answers just incase I forget to check this thread..

The Propagator

See now I can get a Jaw fish ! Thank you !

I never could before for the same reason engineer gobies are a no no in a frag system.

They stir up crap insanely cleaning out and digging out their burrows and all the crap settles on the frags.

But with this little do dad I shouldn't have any problems !

Thank again for sharing this !

So what did you do just buy a composite barnical ?

onefish2fish
So what did you do just buy a composite barnical ?

i was wondering the same thing .. i have a set of barnicals but there small. so where can one aquire such a barnicle?

the "shell" looks synthetic...might be a plastic thing.

but love how it looks in the tank. makes me want to make a tank just for jawfishes...

stoney waters

The barnacle is real I cut it off of this colony I once used in a fish only system. I glued it on with reef epoxy.

IMG_0409.jpg

Here is a little vid, A minute in the life of Stoneys Jawfish.

th_MVI_0422.jpg

Archived