Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 30 gal Salty...

purplefirefish

purplefirefish

Well... After some persuasion I've decided to start a tank thread...

It all started with a 15.5 gallon glass panoramic view saltwater tank from Pacific Coast Imports... The tank was set up on 8-15-08 and shortly after Gustav decided to shut the power down for a few days... After returning to find the CUC of the tank dead I decided to scrap the whole tank and I bought a 30 gal. I added the live sand, live rock, and water from the original tank plus some additional live rock and sand into the new tank.

Okay enough of that.. here's the details..

Equipment:

30 gal tank 36x12x16

Nova Extreme T5 fixture with lunar lights

Koralia 2

SEIO power head (530 gph)

AC110 Fuge

AC110 Filter, future Fuge

Stealth Heater 100W

Portable Refractometer

Little Time or Temp Digital Clock/Thermometer (does nothing but lie to me, says my current Tank temp is 115.6 degrees.)

3 regular thermometers, because the digital one almost gave me a heart attack

Live Stock:

~ 50 lb live rock

~ 40 lb live sand

baseball size ball of chaeto

2 Occ Clowns

5 hermits

5 snails

various hitch hikers, brittle & asterina stars, feather dusters, and a few sponges/corals that I don't know the names of...

Pics:

Where it all began...

IMG_0100a.jpg

Where it is today... (dont mind the water spots and finger prints haha, i forgot to wipe it down!)

IMG_0244a.jpg

The Fuge.. the sponge is temporary...

019.jpg

The Clowns... They're tiny...

IMG_0238a.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

Not sure what this is...

IMG_0250.jpg

029a.jpg

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
purplefirefish
Sweet tank! Those red things are foraminiferans, harmless filter feeders. :)

Oh yeah, and YAY for LA girls!! :P

haha thanks! what part of LA?

Hey fishy.

I love the rockwork; it's impressive.

I'm following this as well.

thanks... i have to keep myself from constantly moving rocks around LOL...

purplefirefish

hmm can anyone id this thing...

IMG_0259ab.jpg

the pic is extremely blurry.. sorry.. but out of the 15 shots i took of it and its friends.. thats the best one :(

they look like little centipedes!

hmm can anyone id this thing...

the pic is extremely blurry.. sorry.. but out of the 15 shots i took of it and its friends.. thats the best one :(

they look like little centipedes!

do they retract into the rock extremely quickly if you make noise or tap on the glass? also, do they have antenna?

purplefirefish
do they retract into the rock extremely quickly if you make noise or tap on the glass? also, do they have antenna?

they do have antenna... and they will hide. well most of them just run across the LR from one hole to the other..

purplefirefish
Looks excellent.

30long is an awesome tank build. I LOVE the big tank/small volume look....

My advice? Dump mushrooms everywhere!

I plan on picking up a few today :)

purplefirefish

Is it possible that I've got to much flow? Kind of looks like the clowns are struggling in there! They were all hunched up near a cave this morning trying to stay in one spot...

purplefirefish

sooo i picked up a few things today...

IMG_0278a.jpg

this thing has so many hitch hikers its rediculous... i put on a glove to touch it because all the legs creeped me out when it was in the bag haha.

IMG_0279a.jpg this guys been in the tank for about 30 minutes now and is almost fully open.. i'll take more pics tonight

IMG_0281a.jpg more shrooms, more legs and a few huge feather duster hitch hikers on the back of the rock... and some bubble algea thats gotta go.

IMG_0280a.jpg

put the gsp in the sand bed until it gets fully adjusted. then move it to the rocks, it is a darker green with long polp extension that stuff grows like a weed.

Archived