Top Shelf Aquatics

My first 10Gal Tank Build

usairforcepilot

usairforcepilot

well Ive started on my very fist build with a fish tank and lucky for me Calvin 415 live 5 min away and hes been helping me out alot. Thanks Calvin!!! i will be getting pictures as soon as possible.

usairforcepilot

ok heres what i've got so far. i went to PetCo and bought a 10G glass tank and then melted a piece of acrylic and molded into place as an overflow in the back and put 2 holes in the sides for current. then I used silicon to glue the overflow to the back of the tank.I also painted the back outside black to look nicer. I'm still working on the pictures

Project7Studios

What are you gonna do about air bubbles? The skimmer will skimm the top and will produce bubbles and the power head will return the water up and around the pvc pipes right?

Im eager to know cuase Im about to start my own 10g

usairforcepilot

the lighting is most likely going to be a 150W metal halide. yes the water will come out the PVC pipe to create a top current

Ty, I hope it's okay to answer for you... ;) Plus I'm not sure if you'd know since this is your first tank.

What are you gonna do about air bubbles? The skimmer will skimm the top and will produce bubbles and the power head will return the water up and around the pvc pipes right?

Im eager to know cuase Im about to start my own 10g

Air bubbles? Shouldn't have any... The overflow will be filled just below the bottom edge of the overflow to allow surface skimming but not cause much turbulence; so any possible "splash" should be minimal if any... Recommended overflow size for 160 GPH (maxijet 600) is only 2 inches and we have approx 14" (7 times the recommended) so the spill should be very very smooth and very very quiet. We will also be putting Chaeto in the overflow to help pull excess nutrients while creating a barrier for any possible bubbles. :D

Yes the powerhead will return the water through the cpvc pipes running the perimeter, and all plumbing (other than the return pieces) should be out of sight once the canopy is done and will be covered in coraline once the tank matures.

awesome setup! what lighting you gonna put on this baby?

150w HQI retro that will be mounted in a custom canopy (still to be built). It's coming with a 10,000K bulb, but we'll likely trade it out for a Phoenix 14,000K or maybe even a 20,000K once everything is going.

the lighting is most likely going to be a 150W metal halide. yes the water will come out the PVC pipe to create a top current

Wow! You beat me to it! LOL!

good choice on the lighting, and with calvins DIY skills it should turn out amazing. id go with 14k phoenix, unless your going to have actinics maybe you want a 10k bulb. a friend of mine did an experiment with a 10k, 14, and 20k bulb over the some frags coming from the same mother colony and said that he got way more growth out of 10k then 20k. just incase growth speed is important to you

kermitthedaniel

looks awesome man, just a suggestion, why does the left pvc only go so far and the right go all the way to the front, i think if you got a maxi 1200, and had a corner and then have one going down but continued it along then you wouldnt even need that other maxi in there to create other current, here i will do a picture. well its not working but just make a tee right after the corners and then end it at the front.

good choice on the lighting, and with calvins DIY skills it should turn out amazing. id go with 14k phoenix, unless your going to have actinics maybe you want a 10k bulb. a friend of mine did an experiment with a 10k, 14, and 20k bulb over the some frags coming from the same mother colony and said that he got way more growth out of 10k then 20k. just incase growth speed is important to you

Rapid growth would be nice, but since we busted the bank on the 150 HQI, there is no more funds for actinics... We'll switch to a bluer bulb when funds are available, but it should help get everything going for now. :D I love the color of the 14k Phoenix, but since we're putting 15w/gallon into this, I was thinking a 20k would still be plenty bright enough...

looks awesome man, just a suggestion, why does the left pvc only go so far and the right go all the way to the front, i think if you got a maxi 1200, and had a corner and then have one going down but continued it along then you wouldnt even need that other maxi in there to create other current, here i will do a picture. well its not working but just make a tee right after the corners and then end it at the front.

It's just to create some more random flow... We only did the one on the right like this so we didn't have flow coming from the same corner with the additional powerhead. We water tested the flow tonight, and while I think it could use a little more (probably a koralia down the road) flow in the tank, the flow through the overflow box was perfect. We don't need all the flow in the tank to go through the overflow box, we're shooting for nice and slow to maximize the chaeto contact time and ensure it's bubble free. Thanks for the feedback, but I only had 600's on hand else the pump in the diplay would likely be higher (again something we can upgrade down the road). ;)

nice big overflow box... i likes

Thanks!

heres a rough draft on my canopy and stand

FishTankpic.png

Looks good bud, keep playing with SketchUp, I love it. I just sent you a quick and dirty of what I'm thinking of for the base... Canopy is still to be drawn.

if you could do this again would you use black silicon? I'm thinking of making one.

Nope. Black silicon looks great at first, but as the silicone starts to chip and wear, it is ugly (imagine a jagged line going down each seam). Clear you don't notice when it's new, and still don't notice when it's 6 years old. :D

Ty, sent you another file, this time with base and canopy... Here's a couple shots of what I came up with. Again, we don't have to go this route, I'm just shooting from the hip, let me know what you'd like to do... Again if you want to two tone the woods we can, if you want inlays we can, just talk it over with your folks about what kind of wood you'd like to see. :D

TankforTy.jpg

You can see the canopy hinges here:

TankforTyreverse.jpg

Archived