SaltCritters.com

September 2008 - Yardboy

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

September's featured reef profile is our member @yardboy and his 10 gallon nano reef!

featuredreef.jpg

Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find Yardboy's Jetties Nano tank journal here in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for Yardboy, and he'll try his best to answer them.

Thanks so much guys! I am totally surprised that what began as an experiment turned into something that you all might like.

It's funny though. In the last few days with Gustav roaring into the Gulf I had to wonder if it would see another week. I'd already decided that it would be the easiest to throw in the back of the Honda and head for the hills with! What a releif that it seems to be going out with a fizzle instead of a bang.

Any questions that anyone has I'll be glad to try and answer. And thanks to the several people who have referred newbies to me with questions about gorgonians. I don't frequent the general discussions to assist as much as I should but am more than happy to help with questions about those wonderful octocorals when I can!

sweet gorgons!

i really like the valley look too! that's so difficult to pull off in a small tank but you did it perfectly! background, rockscape, positioning, etc. B)

i've been missing out on your tank! *thumbsup!*

G'job man! With the way you did your aquascape it looks just like the mouth of many of the inlets down here. Excellent example of what you can do with a little ingenuity in a small aquarium. :)

Thanks again, so much Guys. Boy, the jetties really took a beating from Gustav. Though it was over a hundred miles offshore, the waves were humongous (nautical term meaning very large), shooting clear over the rocks. The water was completely gray and opaque yesterday.

So accidentally I had a hurricane in my tank this evening! I did a pretty good water change due to a rock low in the tank having fallen and i've just about given up on trying to glue anything underwater. So I have a "spring tide" and drain the tank to below where the rock fell. Amounted to a 50% water change (took me two days to get the salinity right - add a bit of water, add some more salt, more water, more salt) so I didnt' have to worry about that. But when I put the hose to fill back in the tank, I found a pocket of detritus that blasted the whole tank. :o siphoned the highest concentration of it out and crossed my fingers. Everything seems to be doing well, and there was no smell when I did it, so I don't think I have to worry about sulfides.

I hope everyone West of us fared okay during the storm. Hopefully that will be it for this year. I noticed that the water temp. is lower than normal around here and the behavior of Gustav seemed to indicate that it was cooler in the Northern Gulf as a whole.

Very cool! I'm particularly interested in 10g builds at this moment so it is great to have such a good example to study.

Thanks for sharing all of this with us.

-hank

Thanks again to everyone.

I'm honored Adin!

Hank, I admit to having developed an obsessionwith 10's. I've got 3 going at once. Particularly for species tanks and small specimens, they can't be beat. Just be more careful with the glass than I am. I scratch the heck out of mine, somehow.

I've got some new pics posted on the thread, if interested.

Archived