ReefCleaners.org

[BC 14] Jon's Reef

nanoreef11

This is a thread of my 14 gallon Biocube born on August 11, 2008. I plan to build a thriving reef full of color and plan to take things slow.

Current FTS as of September 7, 2012

image.jpg

Equipment

Biocube 14 Gallon

Stock Lighting (New bulbs as of October 2010)

Custom Canopy w/ 70 watt MH w/ 2x13 watt actinics

-Fan Mod for Canopy

Titanium Heater

Oceanic 1/10 hp Chiller w/ Rio+ 800 pump

JBJ ATO w/ Rio+ 800 pump

Hydor Koralia Nano

Maxi-Jet 900 return pump w/ Hydor Deflector

Sapphire Skimmer

20 lbs Live Sand

13 lbs Live Rock

StevieT's Media Basket

Filter Floss

Poly Pad

Chemipure Elite

Chaeto

-Light mod to middle chamber

Purigen

Test Kits

Salifert Magnesium

Salifert PH

API Reef Master Kit

-Calcium

-Carbonate Hardness

-Phosphates

-Nitrates

Refractometer

Livestock

Fish

1 False Percula Clown

1 Yasha Goby

Inverts

3 Nassarius Snails

5 Hermit Crabs

2 Astrea Snails

15 Dwarf Ceriths

7 Florida Ceriths

6 Large Nerites

1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp

Corals

Frogspawn Coral

Duncanops (6 heads and growing)

Ricordea Mushroom (Orange w/ blue rim w/ green mouth)

Ricordea Mushroom (Blue w/ orange bulbs w/ green mouth)

Candy Cane Coral (Green)

Dendro

Green Toadstool Leather

Orange Plate Coral

Silver Pulsing Xenia

A little bit about how this tank was reborn:

In October 2007, I started my 14 gallon biocube, and about 6 months later, it crashed. I decided to restart it in hopes to build a thriving reef, full of color. Previous to the tank crashing, I had 2 true percula clowns, 1 diamond goby (sand sifter), about 8 snails and hermit crabs, a frogspawn branch coral, 2 leather corals, and a couple of mushrooms.

One weekend the power in my neighborhood went out and everything died but the clowns and the snails/crabs. I immediately did a water change and the next day the clowns were starting to look better. The next weekend my stealth heater decided the tank should have been 20 degrees warmer then normal. So everything in the tank died at that point. I was really upset, and decided to tear the tank down and either start over, or possibly upgrade to a 40 gallon breeder.

Well I was still in school and other things were on my mind instead of restarting my biocube. No funds for a larger tank kept the biocube as the only option. The day for the rebirth of my tank has finally come it is up and running with water, live rock, and live sand. I put it all together one day in August 2008, late at night, and I am finally getting around to writing a thread for it.

I have been working at my LFS since February '08 and enjoy it very much. I am only 18 and I am a full time student majoring in engineering. The guy that owns the fish store is very cool though because he is very flexible with my hours. I try not to use all the money I earn there on fish, corals, equipment for my biocube.

I started my 14 gallon biocube with cured stage 3 live rock, aragonite sand, 10 gallons (yea I know I thought it was 14) of water from the reef tank, and a filter pad. I did this so that cycling would be kept to a minimum and I could get back into what I like doing best asap. I love this hobby and I just hope that I can learn more than I know already, while keeping a beautiful reef.

Thank you for looking at my thread and Happy Reefing.

Jon (nanoreef11)

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I havn't had a chance to take pictures of my tank. I will get them up first thing tomorrow. I am planning on hooking up a chiller because the tank has been running in the mid 80s and that is way too high for a reef tank. My work sells the Oceanic chillers and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them.

I want to run 1/10 hp chiller with a rio800 pump. I think the pump does around 220 gph. Does this seem like a good pump for the chiller. Was thinking about taking out the drip tray and putting the pump in the bottom of the middle chamber.

I am going to cut out the back of the hood and leave the hinges so that the U-tubes will fit. Let me know if you think this is a good idea or a bad idea. I might order the chiller tomorrow.

I can provide a bit of info on the chiller. I have a JBJ Arctic Mini 1/15 for my BC14. It does a great job of keeping temp steady, and has greatly cut down on evaporation. I use a Rio 600, so a 800 should work just fine.

I placed the pump in center chamber - fits since pump is so small. I cut a notch in back for tubing. Chiller return goes back into the DT return pump chamber. I cut notch on side, but back would be better, if you don't want to see tubing.

I bought the installation kit, but only ended up using the tubing - I added something on the rear of tank that made it impossible to use "U" tubes, but they should work fine for you.

I took some quick pics with my cell phone and I just uploaded them to my computer but photobucket is down. I don't know any other way to get them to post. Any help here. I guess I will have to wait till morning.

I can provide a bit of info on the chiller. I have a JBJ Arctic Mini 1/15 for my BC14. It does a great job of keeping temp steady, and has greatly cut down on evaporation. I use a Rio 600, so a 800 should work just fine.

I placed the pump in center chamber - fits since pump is so small. I cut a notch in back for tubing. Chiller return goes back into the DT return pump chamber. I cut notch on side, but back would be better, if you don't want to see tubing.

I bought the installation kit, but only ended up using the tubing - I added something on the rear of tank that made it impossible to use "U" tubes, but they should work fine for you.

Yea I was thinking about the Rio 800 or possibly a maxijet 900 as they both do around 200 gph.

I was thinking about putting the pump in the middle chamber and also the return. I know it might be cooling the same water and not be as effective but I am going to be setting up a JBJ auto top off as well. I want the float valves in the return pump chamber so it would make sense for the auto top off pump to dump into the third chamber.

I don't think there is enough room to run two lines into the return chamber because the wire for the light is right there.

Would it be okay to have the pump and return line in the same chamber?

Photobucket worked today so here are the pics. I took some pics with my phone 2 weeks ago while I was setting up my tank. They aren't the greatest but it was the only camera I had at the time haha. Then I took some more right now with the actinics on. It shows that I need to work on my camera skills.

Pic of the rock (13 lb) without water or live sand.

PIC-0028.jpg

Filler up!

PIC-0034.jpg

100 watt titanium heater

PIC-0037.jpg

Chemipure in middle chamber

PIC-0032.jpg

Ran out of stress zyme so had to buy some more

PIC-0033.jpg

Thermometer

PIC-0039.jpg

PIC-0040.jpg

20 lbs of Live sand

PIC-0029.jpg

FTS with camera

IMG_0358.jpg

Top cave

IMG_0363.jpg

Bottom cave

IMG_0365.jpg

Fan until chiller comes in

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

I will get some more pics up tonight when its dark so that there isn't any reflection in the photos.

I suppose you could run both chiller pump and return into same chamber, but I decided against it. I figured I'd be running the same chilled water thru chiller again, plus I decided I wanted to get the cooler water into main tank ASAP.

Is my method any more efficient than yours? Have no idea, so it might be a wash. My chiller runs about once per hour for about 12-15 minutes when it's warm in house (77-79) and lights are on. Tank temps are pretty stable (77-79). Without chiller, temps quick go into the low to mid 80s.

Yes, cutting a notch in hood behind that return chamber is tight. I've seen others do it, but that's part of the reason I decided to cut notch in side of hood.

I think you are on the right path - hopefully others with the same set up add their two cents - good luck.

Well I didn't get any new pics up cause I was busy moving my tank on to my desk. I didn't like how I couldn't see the sides of my tank. So with school starting next week it should give me a reason to do my homework because I can then watch my tank grow :happydance:

I hope the chiller came into my work today. I work tomorrow morning but wont be able to set everything up till Wednesday. My parents are divorced so I go over to my dads sun-tues to visit with him. Hopefully I can cut the hood on Wednesday and get everything going by Thursday.

Well for the chamber situation I plan to drop a rio 800 into the bottom of chamber 2 to power the chiller. The return will be into chamber 3 (return pump into tank). The cold water will immediately get pushed through the tank for maximum performance.

As for the ATO I'm going to be running the JBJ with 2 sensors. One in chamber 3 (return chamber) and the other in the reservoir. The pump will again be a rio 800 pushing water into chamber 3 as well. The tank is about 3 ft. from the ground which the rio 800 should be able to overcome.

Once I get everything in I will take pics and keep you guys updated with the mods with the chiller and ATO.

Well I picked up my chiller and ATO at work on friday. My mom had the camera all weekend so I havn't been able to get pics up. I won't be back at my house till Tuesday night so look for pics then.

Instead of cutting the hood I am looking at the 16.5" 70watt sunpods. Does anyone recommend this over the nanotuner's hood upgrade? I know a metal halide is worth the money but should I buy the halide and install it prior to hooking up the ATO and chiller. This would require the back of the hood to be cut up to fit the "u tubes". If I get the sunpod on there before I install everything then I will have a good chance of selling the stock 14 gallon biocube hood scratch free.

I can talk to my boss on Monday/Tuesday and see when he can get a sunpod in for me. I don't have all of the hardware to plumb the chiller and ATO just yet so the light might come in first. So pics will be up as soon as I get home on Tuesday so everyone can see the new goodies :haha:

Once I talk to my boss I will throw a 16.5" 70watt sunpod on the tank. What do you guys think?

Sounds like a great idea! Recently upgraded my BC14 with the same sunpod and have been loving it ever since.

This will also save you the trouble of ripping apart your stock hood for the ATO and chiller tubings :D

if go sunpod ill sell you one of my custom glass tops for less then i paid to have made lol.this way keeps everything in your tank. ;)

if go sunpod ill sell you one of my custom glass tops for less then i paid to have made lol.this way keeps everything in your tank. ;)

whats the price on a custom glass top?

Today I talked with my boss to see if he could get me the 16.5" 70watt sunpod. We called a couple of places to find out that current usa no longer makes the 16.5" sunpod. So where does that leave me. I guess I can buy one online for full price or a used one online. I was hoping to get it for a cheaper price since I work at my LFS but it doesn't look that way.

Are there any other metal halides worth taking a look at besides the sunpod and viper?

I went to work today and clean some tanks for a couple of hours. Talked to my boss and we came up with the option of having a wooden hood made. There is a place, in the same shopping center, a couple of doors down that does cabinetry. My boss had been talking to him to see if the cabinet guy can start making our stands and hoods.

My boss brought up the option of making a wooden hood (black oak/pine) with a retrofit metal halide and actinic bulb. What do people think of a retrofit metal halide in a custom hood on the biocube? Has anyone done this before?

Sorry I still havn't got pics up of my tank as I have not been home since Sunday morning. I will try to get the camera tonight and snap a couple of pics of the new chiller and ato.

I went to work today and clean some tanks for a couple of hours. Talked to my boss and we came up with the option of having a wooden hood made. There is a place, in the same shopping center, a couple of doors down that does cabinetry. My boss had been talking to him to see if the cabinet guy can start making our stands and hoods.

My boss brought up the option of making a wooden hood (black oak/pine) with a retrofit metal halide and actinic bulb. What do people think of a retrofit metal halide in a custom hood on the biocube? Has anyone done this before?

Sorry I still havn't got pics up of my tank as I have not been home since Sunday morning. I will try to get the camera tonight and snap a couple of pics of the new chiller and ato.

If it's done right it could be cool... Can't wait to see pics

If it's done right it could be cool... Can't wait to see pics

Well I just got done taking them I will upload shortly!!

Well 40 pics is taking a while to load so I don't know if I will be able to stay up for another half hour or so as I got school in the morning at 8 so I will get them up by tomorrow (actually today just in the pm time haha). Hopefully my tank is starting to look like a tank haha.

I need some more opinions on the hood design as I am more than likely going to go with a 70 watt metal halide retro fit like this one:

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...940c2927c120eb6

and some actinics like these:

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...940c2927c120eb6

Hopefully the cabinet maker can make a hood for my tank. I am going to take my hood off and give it to him. I will probably keep the entire back of it open for ATO and Chiller lines. Any other features I might need besides a top/front access door? Let me know what you think.

As you all know I got everything in last week or so. I uploaded the pics last night but took too long to create a post.

List of what I recieved:

Oceanic 1/10 hp Chiller

API Reef Master Test Kit

Red Sea Ph&Alkalinity Test Kit (Not a fan of Red Sea I asked for Salifert but my boss got this one for me so I

might return it.)

Hydor Flow Deflector

Maxi Jet 900

2x Rio 800

JBJ Auto Top Off

Mag Float

Pics of everything

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Test Kits

IMG_0372.jpg

ATO and Rio 800

IMG_0373.jpg

With container

IMG_0375.jpg

Hydor Deflector and Maxi Jet 900

IMG_0374.jpg

New Location for Tank

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

Electrical - Trying to hide the cords in plastic tubing

IMG_0378.jpg

The Oceanic Chiller

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

With Pump

IMG_0382.jpg

Next to my Tank/Desk

IMG_0383.jpg

The tinest mag float that hardly works - Getting returned

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

The better Mag Float

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

Step-by-Step Maxi Jet 900 install

Disconnect old pump and pull it out (on right)

IMG_0390.jpg

Take hose off of old pump and place on new Maxi Jet 900

IMG_0391.jpg

Cut off 1" of the hose

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

Lower the pump into the return chamber

IMG_0393.jpg

Old pump used for premix saltwater

IMG_0396.jpg

Nice Surface Movement

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Hydorflow Step-by-Step Install

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Turn off return pump and remove old nozzle

IMG_0402.jpg

Find the adapter that fits

IMG_0403.jpg

Attach to the back of the hydorflow

IMG_0404.jpg

5 minute install

IMG_0405.jpg

Sticks out a little far but works well

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

Surface Agitation

IMG_0409.jpg

Install done

IMG_0410.jpg

FTS

IMG_0415.jpg

Had some detritus on the rocks and sand and tried to brush it off with my hand - made the water a little cloudy but nothing the filters cant fix

IMG_0416.jpg

Thanks for looking at my tank as I finally got pics up I know.

Leave comments and suggestions.

Tested the parameters tonight just to see how things were looking. Looks like it might be time for the first water change. A tad bit high on the nitrates haha :o

Tests done with API Reef Master Test Kit:

Calcium - 440 ppm

Carbonate Hardness - 7 dKH

Phosphates - 0.5 ppm

Nitrates - 160+ ppm (YIKES :scarry: )

Testing in Progress (30 minutes later)

I just had a chemistry class last semester so every measurement was accurate with a dropper (5ml exact)

IMG_0417.jpg

Hopefully I can pick up some water from my work tomorrow and perform a 5 gallon water change tomorrow night. I'll keep updates on here.

One question, the Red Sea PH & Alkalinity Test...is it any good or would it be best to wait for the salifert one to come in?

Can't wait to hook up the chiller

IMG_0419.jpg

And this pic was taken at 12 midnight (coldest part of the day)

Dosed 3ml of the aquavitro fuel into the tank tonight (twice a week now)

IMG_0418.jpg

Went to my LFS/Work today and picked up some R/O water. Usually the saltwater is already mixed but the salinity was a little bit low for my likings so I took a bucket of salt home and mixed it myself.

R/O Water with stock biocube pump

PIC-0060.jpg

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

PIC-0069.jpg

Add Salt

PIC-0061.jpg

Add Additives:

AquaVitro Alpha

Aqua Vitro Fuel

Stress Coat

Stress Zyme

PIC-0064.jpg

1.025 on the nose.

PIC-0065.jpg

Took 3-4 Gallons of water out

PIC-0066.jpg

FTS with actinics & 10000k after cleaning

PIC-0067.jpg

FTS with actinics after cleaning

PIC-0068.jpg

Hopefully after this water change my nitrates will get close to zero.

I want to put snails and crabs in but I don't want to kill them after the first week.

Gonna test parameters again soon and then add some CUC.

I still don't know if I should use the Red Sea Test Kit for PH & Alkalinity or trade it for a Salifert one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking.

(Sorry about the pics as I used my phone because I couldn't find the camera. Wanted to get pics up so had to use the only thing I had.)

Took my hood off today and took it to my work. The wood working guy wasn't in yet so I'm going to have to wait to talk to him. My boss is going to see if he can replicate the hood out of wood with a lip around it. I'm going to leave the back of it open for U-tubes to be run. The hood is gonna be about 7-8" tall and hopefully it looks pretty good. Looking at doing a retrofit MH 70watt bulb and some retrofit actinic 13 watt bulbs.

What is a good MH bulb in the 14k range for SPS corals to grow under?

Took my hood off today and took it to my work. The wood working guy wasn't in yet so I'm going to have to wait to talk to him. My boss is going to see if he can replicate the hood out of wood with a lip around it. I'm going to leave the back of it open for U-tubes to be run. The hood is gonna be about 7-8" tall and hopefully it looks pretty good. Looking at doing a retrofit MH 70watt bulb and some retrofit actinic 13 watt bulbs.

What is a good MH bulb in the 14k range for SPS corals to grow under?

I have seen some really nice wooden hoods on NCs, don't know why they wouldn't work on your tank. I used a 14k astralux bulb and really liked it, they are a little hard to find though. I am now using 14k Phoenix bulbs (150w) in the 40 and love them.

Everything looks good, you probably said but are you looking into a refractometer? You have tons of other doodads, lol.

I have seen some really nice wooden hoods on NCs, don't know why they wouldn't work on your tank. I used a 14k astralux bulb and really liked it, they are a little hard to find though. I am now using 14k Phoenix bulbs (150w) in the 40 and love them.

Everything looks good, you probably said but are you looking into a refractometer? You have tons of other doodads, lol.

Yea I'm trying to get my boss to order me one and he says he's trying to get it in. Hopefully I get that hood made in the next week or so. So the 14k Phoenix bulbs are pretty good? Then I will have to try one of those out. What is a good brand on the refractometers or does it really matter as long as you calibrate them every once and a while?

Do you have any links to some of the wooden hoods for the NCs?

Archived