SaltCritters.com

disaster's custom 20gal

disaster999

disaster999

ive started 2 other threads about my acrylic tank...one if a DIY thread showing the making of the tank, and the other one is a build thread where i used the tank as a frag tank...both can be found here

DIY

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=147508&hl=

Build thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=149832&hl=

i recently graduated from college and unfortunately cant find a job in the states, i decided to move back home to hong kong where i found a job working in a engineering consultant firm. Since the whole tank from top to bottom, tank, stand, and sump all hand built by me, it would be a shame to sell it at a bargain price when i poured my blood and sweat into it. to me its priceless. i had it shipped back home with me (fedex great rates...anyone shipping internationally should use it great discount...i got 76% off my shipment home).

the tank and stand got here within a week. i did find that my tank had a little crack at the corner, and the sump had a decent crack and the acrylic pieces came unglued. only to blame the fedex guy for playing soccer with my packages and myself for not taking extreme precautions. the damage wasnt that bad, it was fixable.

after settling in at home and going to work, i decided its time to set up the tank again. i had a lot of trouble finding the perfect spot for the tank because i didnt take account that all of the wood trim at home is stained dark brown and my cabinet is made from maple. it sticks out like a sore thumb around the house and my parents rejected all the places i want to put it.

finally we all agreed on putting it ouside my parents' room

2703190443_66407f7331.jpg

the pump im using is a quiet one 3000 and i did have quite a hard time with it. i had to exchange it twice before i got a working one.

after running it for a while with just the pump and nothing else, i used a oven thermometer to check the temperature of the water and it was at 86F!! it was during night time where its the coolest and my water is still 86F! i need a chiller bad

2721984091_66a7a2ace0.jpg

another problem with my setup is theres no way for evaporated water to escape from the cabinet so its really damn inside and condensation forms on inside. ventilation is a must so i drilled 2 60mm holes for 2 60mm computer fans

2730095654_23412cc440.jpg

when my next paycheck comes, ill will purchase the following...

15-18lb of live rock

10lb of sand

fishneedit 4x24w T5HO light

salt

chiller

then when my next paycheck comes, the tank would by cycled and i can start adding corals and fish

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow really cool.

i love the stand you built.

is it very hot were you live or is the pump just heating up the tank?

by the way what are the prices like in hong kong compared to thoughs back here in the US? livestock and equipment wise?

disaster999

hong kong is pretty hot this time of the year...temps were as high as 100F and doesnt really drop below 80 at night.

livestock here is cheap. i started a thread about hong kong's local fish street not sure if you saw it...so a search...is around 1/5 of the states. clown is 15-20 bucks in the states, its less than 3 here

I could see that, since you are like a stones throw from the indo, lower shipping costs and overhead for wild caught and plus the states economy is in the crapper

disaster999

not to mention equipment is cheaper too since theres so many knock offs...

i have no seen so many pumps to choose from in a shop before. 25% of them look like ehiem, 25% looks like quiet one, 25% looks like koraila then the rest german made and tunze and some other weird looking pumps.

chillers are cheap also...one thats for a 60L tank that does heating and cooling sells for under 70. i was thinking of giving it a try since i need a chiller and not much funds. i will have to talk to the guys at the shop and see what they recommend

I wonder if you found us a good, inexpensive chiller and we could then send you money for the chiller, shipping and profit. Wonder if that would be cheaper for us than buying from a dealer here?

disaster999

i actually found a chiller for my tank. its a hailea hc-100a 1/20hp chiller. most popular in hong kong. china made and every shop i go to sell the same brand chiller. ive also seen chinese people use the same brand chiller in their aquarium. 1 year warranty. around $200. gonna wait till my next pay check to get that.

HC-100A-1-B.jpg

http://www.hailea.com/e-hailea/product-1/HC-100A.htm

instead i got 30lb of sand, 15lb of rock and 570gal worth of salt today to start my cycle. also i bought and installed a pair of 60mm fan in the back pushing air inside the tank to help keep moisture level inside the cabinet down.

FTS

2746989330_126bf4fd42.jpg

sump and fan

2746993418_d3c22bd95f.jpg

the salt i used. marinium reef salt, again recommended by LFS. they all use it and their tanks are thriving!

2746160669_a3863096c7.jpg

heres more info on the salt

http://www.waterzoo.co.za/mariscience-mari...-salt-p-81.html

I wonder if you found us a good, inexpensive chiller and we could then send you money for the chiller, shipping and profit. Wonder if that would be cheaper for us than buying from a dealer here?

i MIGHT be able to do that. given 200 for the 1/20 chiller + shipping which im sure it cant be that much. i guess ill give you guys an review of the chiller when i get it and see if anyone is interested in a group by or something

CRAP, i forgot...we use 220V here..and the states is 120V...unless you want to get a high enough wattage transformer to switch to 220v or run a line from your 220V source in the house, dont think its feasible.

the water cleared up a bit so i asked my mom to help give some suggestions on the position of the rocks and we came up with this

2750185704_33030f5bda.jpg

pretty pleased with it. theres enough holes for fish to swim around and hide in..as well as lots of room for corals.

looking good. i hope to start my new tank soon. im waiting for my equipment to show up so i can make a false wall AIO.

So do you like living in Hong Kong? whats it like?

i always lived here...this is my home, just went to the states for college. lifestyle wise, its totally different that in the states. most obvious its a lot more crowded, theres people everywhere around you. people are more rushed. dont really get much chance to drive in hong kong. especially if you want to go to the popular places, the local fish street, computer malls, or clothing districts....they are usually packed with people and cars move at a snails pace.

then theres the weather. its hot and humid most of the time in summer. hottest so far this year was 98F, coldest would get around high 30s low 40s. apartments and houses in hong kong isnt central conditioned. each room have their own aircon. the walls arent insulated and mostly just concrete. so during the summer when the building is been cooked under the sun...during night time, the walls are still warm to the touch. its esp hard to keep corals and reef fish since temperature in the house isnt constant. a chiller and heater is a must. ill be getting a chiller as soon as my skinny paycheck comes end of this month.

• 3 weeks later...

been a month since my last big purchase...just got paid again so i finished up buying all the equipment for my setup

Hailea HC-100a Chiller

2800047762_a995c47dce.jpg

Fishneedit look alike T5HO 4x24w light. Modded it so i can run off 2 power cords and timmer

2800052614_3a1d26726f.jpg

FTS

2800050604_aea4b55a07.jpg

Overall tank and equipment shot

2799205757_a51ef417a6.jpg

as you can see...my water was at 29.1C which is around 84.56F. thats without the light ,the sun was set and 2 fan blowing across the water in the sump. after less than 2 hours, the chiller brought the tank down to 26C, or 78F.

so far im really impressed with the chiller, at $167 its a whole lot cheaper than jbj or current usa. sure you might think...MADE IN USA YO...but hailea is the best chinese made chiller available and the local rave about this chiller. one complaint is that i wish it was a little bit quieter. it wasnt as quiet as what ive read about it.

been a month since my last big purchase...just got paid again so i finished up buying all the equipment for my setup

Hailea HC-100a Chiller

2800047762_a995c47dce.jpg

Fishneedit look alike T5HO 4x24w light. Modded it so i can run off 2 power cords and timmer

2800052614_3a1d26726f.jpg

FTS

2800050604_aea4b55a07.jpg

Overall tank and equipment shot

2799205757_a51ef417a6.jpg

as you can see...my water was at 29.1C which is around 84.56F. thats without the light ,the sun was set and 2 fan blowing across the water in the sump. after less than 2 hours, the chiller brought the tank down to 26C, or 78F.

so far im really impressed with the chiller, at $167 its a whole lot cheaper than jbj or current usa. sure you might think...MADE IN USA YO...but hailea is the best chinese made chiller available and the local rave about this chiller. one complaint is that i wish it was a little bit quieter. it wasnt as quiet as what ive read about it.

dam , this 100a model chiller cost S$280 in my country

ill see what are my choices when i go to the stores. corals and fish is so cheap here. I have to find some small enough for my tank. most of the coral piece sold are too big to go in my tank.

but for now, sixline wrasse, some goby any maybe some other fish..gotta see

coral wise, zoas, frogspawn, hammer, acan or brain...mostly softies and LPS. need cleaner water to try my hands on SPS. a 10 inch tank and 4x24w t5ho should keep them alive

most important cleaner shrimp...my parents are absolutely nuts about the shrimp.

How do you like that fixture? It's still on my short list for first aquarim lamp for FOWLR I'm workin on - vs teh Nova Extreme HO 2x24 W fixture.

Can you post some pics of how you modified the fixture to get 2 power cords. One thing against the your fixture to me - was the the single cord - and I'd be interested in your modification. I'm no electrician but have done some simple wiring jobs like installing a celiing fan or replacing outlets and switches.

a little update, got a quarantine tank setup for the fish that im going to buy today. Not really sure what i want yet, i guess i have to go today and find out...maybe a goby...or a sixline...or a clown

went on the local forums and i'm going to pick up a few things from a member tomorrow

zoa $5.xx

p1050767.jpg

some shroom ric looking thing $5.xx

CIMG4223.jpg

this encrusted coral with flower looking polyp...forgot the name $6.xx

CIMG4226.jpg

total of around $17 for all....cant even buy a frag of zoa for that price :D

weee...no one is interested...

went to the local fish street (LFS) and bought 3 fish and kent opti color whatever fish food...

sixline wrasse

firefish

and high fin banded goby

the fish and food totalled $11.50 :D

getting corals from a local reefer so ill upload pictures tonight

i guess you guys want more pictures...

picked up the corals today...after a month and a half...my tank finally visible sign of life form

FTS

2830014253_c6ae870911.jpg

unopened zoa and what i believe to be flower pot coral

2830011599_3dfa99fb34.jpg

2830872320_71e91fe513.jpg

opened zoa and flower pot coral

2830851018_801cc7897e.jpg

2830019809_166578d382.jpg

firefish and hi fin red banded goby in Q tank

2830867734_435dd194c5.jpg

2830869750_c96633c877.jpg

• 2 weeks later...