Innovative Marine Aquariums

EnjoiFish's 10 Gallon Reef

EnjoiFish

Here's my little piece of the reef:

July:

040.jpg

September:

054.jpg

It's been established for about 7 months, so no pictures of cloudy water and rocks. I've kept it pretty bare bones since my boyfriend and I have had some problems with our tanks in the past ( we used the trial and error method rather than good ol' research). Plus we don't have the money to invest in the hobby like we had before.

Tank Specs:

10 AGA

X amount of Fuji Liverock and Live Sand...

150w Sunpod with Ushio 20k bulb (upgraded from a Current PC 40w fixture and I never looked back)

Aqua-Tech 30-40g filter (probably a nitrate factory)

AquaClear 50 (modded into a hang-on fuge)

Hydor Koralia Nano

Red Sea Prizm Protein Skimmer

A handful of chaeto in a soapdish

Tetra 50w glass heater...probably should throw that out

Livestock:

1 Turbo snail

1 Electric Blue Banished to the tank of bad crabs.

2 Zebra Hermits

3 Scarlet Hermits

5 little Blue Legged Hermits

4 Nassarius snails

5 Astrea snails

3 Cleaner clams

1 Crocea clam

1 Emerald Crab (hitchhiker) Moved to 'fuge.

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

1 Candy Pistol Shrimp

a Bicolored Blenny & a Hi-Fin Goby

Coral:

A giant hairy mushroom (in Ian's tank now)

Some miscellaneous mushrooms, blue, green stripes, orange spots...

Pink/Orange ricordea, Blue ricordia

Taro Tree

Zoas, zoas, oh, and more zoas. I can't get enough.

Some green mouth Palys

Frogspawn (Ian's tank)

Duncan coral

Green Acans

Short tentacle plate (tossed it, too much of an eye sore)

Green Polyp Acropora

Orange Monti

Yellow Monti

Candy coral

Pocillopora, perhaps? (Moved into Ian's tank)

Plans for the tank:

Upgrade the obvious

Buy more snails

Get a better stand. I have wires dangling everywhere.

Buy more coral.

Buy a bigger tank!

And now for your viewing pleasure...

It's giant. And hairy.

058.jpg

My blenny with no name...

063.jpg

My palys blow me kisses. :wub:

074.jpg

Pocillopora? If anyone knows, chime in! This is just a piece of the colony.

006.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow you have some beautiful coral growth going on in your tank! I don't think thats Pocillopora, it looks more like a softie, maybe a type of Xenia? I think I see little hands.. Maybe even Colt?

squirrelieygrrrl

yea it looks like its in the neptheidae family. heres a link for them.

edit: i wish i could have coraline growth like that! tank looks sweet!

Wow you have some beautiful coral growth going on in your tank! I don't think thats Pocillopora, it looks more like a softie, maybe a type of Xenia? I think I see little hands.. Maybe even Colt?

Thank you. I just put the Sunpod on today, so I hoping everything will spread like crazy. :P

It does appear soft and feathery, and does resemble a Colt almost, I don't think it's a softie. Whenever I brush up against, it immediately retracts and leaves a stony, white skeleton showing. Most pocilloporo looks nothing like whatever it is in my tank. I just happened to find a single picture on google images that looked just like mine. With my luck it was labeled wrong.

Here's a topdown view of it when I kept it on top of all my live rock:

049.jpg

I don't know why I don't have a better picture of this stuff.

yea it looks like its in the neptheidae family. heres a link for them.

edit: i wish i could have coraline growth like that! tank looks sweet!

Thanks! Actually my coralline growth came to a halt since I added the zoas and palys. I found out that my calcium plummeted. But I'm dosing now and those little purple specs are starting to come back!

squirrelieygrrrl

huh........

lol, well i guess scrap the neptheidae id. if its got a skeleton then that sure isnt what it is. maybe one of the sps pro's on here will have a better idea. although it does have those classic filter feeding polyps. also some of the neptheidae corals do have retractile polyps. so i guess its still up for debate! lol, glad i could convelude things a bit! :P

Went to my LFS in Indiana today. Picked up some astrea snails and fell in love with a fire shrimp. Debating on whether to get one or not. Supposedly they get a long fine with skunk cleaners, though they are much more active in pairs. I don't think I have room for a pair of these guys, there are only so many caves in my tank. Maybe I'll just have to settle with Frank as my only shrimp.

075.jpg

I've rearranged my rockwork. Pictures when everything settles.

No new pics as of yet. My coral was throughly pissed off from the move. Update on the mystery coral though; it is active at night. Non-photosynthetic? Low to moderate lighting. What could it be?

Your guess is good as mine.

very nice tank.. how about a jawfish..

Probably not a good idea in my tank...

1) From what I've read, most jawfish require a tank of 30 gallons minimum

2) Even if you were referring to a Yellowhead (supposedly a nano fish), my sandbed is no where deep enough. I have about 3" in my tank. I believe they require 5 to 7". Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

3)They are notorious jumpers and I run an open top.

Gorgeous fish as they may be, I think they are beyond my capability at this time. I don't mean to bash your suggestion, since I really did not provide in dept details about my tank. I think they are better off left to larger tanks, specified towards that species.

The yellow head is a hardy fish that definately needs a deep sand bed. It will stay on the bottom so you shouldnt be too worried about jumping. Overall a great fish

Well if I ever tear down my 29g planted freshwater, I'll stick one in there. Or maybe the 20T that's been collecting dust for months. Worse impulse buy ever. It comes up to my waist when it's on the ground. Once we put it on a stand, I'll have to stand on a ladder to aquascape.

And now for some pictures.

Part of my zoa colony. Sorry for the glare. Still messing with the white balance on my camera.

020.jpg

031.jpg

Tentacles!

frog.jpg

Hermes

070.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Is that a Frogspawn a Octopus one? With the split ends? It looks really nice. As for a fish, why not a Green Banded Goby or Clown Goby?

Well if I ever tear down my 29g planted freshwater, I'll stick one in there. Or maybe the 20T that's been collecting dust for months. Worse impulse buy ever. It comes up to my waist when it's on the ground. Once we put it on a stand, I'll have to stand on a ladder to aquascape.

And now for some pictures.

Part of my zoa colony. Sorry for the glare. Still messing with the white balance on my camera.

020.jpg

031.jpg

Tentacles!

frog.jpg

Hermes

070.jpg

Thanks for looking!

thanks for look ddr_phish

this is my girlfriends tank, its nice to have insites from other people :)

as for another fish in her tank I'm not to sure what we are going to do, I'm actually in the process of making plans and buying the tools for another 10 gallon with built in DIY sump... this should be fun.

but as for the the bio load I don't know if her tank can handle another fish. we have huge CUC between our tanks and don't want to have a crash due to another fish in the box, But who knows only time will tell.

as of most recently funds for the fish tanks are rather tight so that is why I'm looking into a diy setup, save some money and start fragging corals... that way I can help out some newbies or make a lil extra cash to put towards new stuff.

speaking of fragging anyone know how to encourage splitting in frogspawn corals? I like to propagate naturally.... cutting and gluing doesn't really work out for me that often, I tend to glue my hands together along with my tools and paper towels.. haha

The best way to get frogspawn to grow new heads and split is to feed each individual head some cyclops, I do this about 2 times a week. Then when you have new heads coming on just take some bone cutters or wire cutters and cut it off leaving atleast a 1inch stalk.

Is that a Frogspawn a Octopus one? With the split ends? It looks really nice. As for a fish, why not a Green Banded Goby or Clown Goby?

I actually never heard it referred to as Octopus coral until I got on this site. The LFS sold it to me simply as 'frogspawn'. I did notice the split ends on some of the tentacles, so yes, it is?

I'm still debating on what sort of fish to add. I love gobies and blennies. I've read that bicolors will sometimes get territorial with other fish on the substrate level. He would get into little toughs with my damsel, but the damsel would always start it. I think a small goby would be okay, hopefully. Ian thinks my bioload is pretty muched maxed out as far as livestock goes though. I am open to opinions and suggestions ;).

Your bioload isn't maxed out IMHO opinion. All of your snails, shrimp, hermits etc do not really contribute to "polluting" the tank, their cleaning antics more than outway the tiny bit of waste they produce. You could get one more small fish easily considering all you have is the Bicolor Blenny which usually hides in holes anyways. Find something that will swim a little more and be out in the open, which actually pretty much rules out gobies. Maybe the typical true percula?

You could get one more small fish easily considering all you have is the Bicolor Blenny which usually hides in holes anyways. Find something that will swim a little more and be out in the open, which actually pretty much rules out gobies. Maybe the typical true percula?

My bi color is surprisingly active. He swims up to the front and waves his tail fin like a dog, then smacks his face off the glass (eating pods I suppose or maybe he's just dumb). Another little swimmer would be nice. We'll see.

Nice!

Thanks!

my yellow clown goby eats all the time and starts to nip sps <sigh!>

I've heard of this before, what he's actually doing is eating the mucus off of them. Sounds less harmless but it still annoys the SPS enough and can damage it.

Right now my BiColor has taken up sticking halfway out of a hole and other half laying across my Orange Digitata! GRRRR

Pictures!

Some new zoas I picked up today.

016.jpg

GSP frag. It was free. :happy:

028-1.jpg

My first ricordea and it's already beginning to split.

017.jpg

Upside down.

029.jpg

Lounging.

006-1.jpg

Archived