Pod Your Reef

20 gallon long all in one

tyty22

Hello every body i have been thinking about setting up a new tank. and i really like the looks of the 20 gallon long and the 20H.

I want a more simple reef tank

and i dont want tons and tons of equipment.

so i got to thinking and drawing in google sketch up and i think i have come up with a perfect idea. A AIO 20 long. with the tank going long ways with both long sides viewable.

just for the record A 20 long is 30x12x13

the tank will be setup long ways and there will be a 6inch filter area in the back with a refugium(I will need your help with this as i don't know much about refugiums)

from the filter a maxi jet 1200 (295gph)will pump the water back into the display (is that enough flow ?)

i already have a visa therm100 watt heater that i will use (i like its 100 watt its the 13 inch one)

for lighting i would like to be on more of the high lighting side of things so metal halide or t5 still not decided

i was thinking maybe a 24inch sunpod that way i wouldn't need to bulid a hood

anyone have one for sale?

as for a stand i will build it my self undless i come across something that will work for cheap

and a canopy will depend on the light

as for a refugium light i have a turtle basking lamp 5.5inch in diameter that i can use untill winter time and turtle comes back inside but that should be easy

also i want an ATO but i can always add that later on

when it comes time for LR and LS might either use whats in my 12 aquapod and some more or get all new rock maybe half cured and half base and let it cure. any ideas??

ok enough talk for now here is one picture of my 2nd design alot simpler then my first and better imo

20gallonlongallinone.png

by the way this tank will replace my 45 gallon cichlid tank :( well its getting to the point were i have to many tanks to take care of

oh and we have a new rule in the house(a crapy one IMO) in order for something new to enter something must leave

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello every body i have been thinking about setting up a new tank. and i really like the looks of the 20 gallon long and the 20H.

I want a more simple reef tank

and i dont want tons and tons of equipment.

so i got to thinking and drawing in google sketch up and i think i have come up with a perfect idea. A AIO 20 long. with the tank going long ways with both long sides viewable.

just for the record A 20 long is 30x12x13

the tank will be setup long ways and there will be a 6inch filter area in the back with a refugium(I will need your help with this as i don't know much about refugiums)

from the filter a maxi jet 1200 (295gph)will pump the water back into the display (is that enough flow ?)

i already have a visa therm100 watt heater that i will use (i like its 100 watt its the 13 inch one)

for lighting i would like to be on more of the high lighting side of things so metal halide or t5 still not decided

i was thinking maybe a 24inch sunpod that way i wouldn't need to bulid a hood

anyone have one for sale?

as for a stand i will build it my self undless i come across something that will work for cheap

and a canopy will depend on the light

as for a refugium light i have a turtle basking lamp 5.5inch in diameter that i can use untill winter time and turtle comes back inside but that should be easy

also i want an ATO but i can always add that later on

when it comes time for LR and LS might either use whats in my 12 aquapod and some more or get all new rock maybe half cured and half base and let it cure. any ideas??

ok enough talk for now here is one picture of my 2nd design alot simpler then my first and better imo

20gallonlongallinone.png

by the way this tank will replace my 45 gallon cichlid tank :( well its getting to the point were i have to many tanks to take care of

oh and we have a new rule in the house(a crapy one IMO) in order for something new to enter something must leave

Looks great the only change I would make is to make the water flow under the wall between the fuge and the return pump. This should help keep bubbles from entering the last chamber and also give you flow from the bottom of that return area.

Steve

Looks great the only change I would make is to make the water flow under the wall between the fuge and the return pump. This should help keep bubbles from entering the last chamber and also give you flow from the bottom of that return area.

Steve

yes thank you i would just need to add another baffle to keep sand etc form getting sucked up i thought about adding one but i have seen many setups without the bubble trap what does everyone else think

To bubble trap or not to Bubble trap that is the question

yes thank you i would just need to add another baffle to keep sand etc form getting sucked up i thought about adding one but i have seen many setups without the bubble trap what does everyone else think

To bubble trap or not to Bubble trap that is the question

No buble trap needed unless your skimmer is going to be in the fuge. When the water falls over the back wall it'll create some bubbles but not enough to get under that wall. Also the LR will be there and bounce them back. Check my sig for my 10 gallon frag tanks. Almost identical to what you are doing. I wouldn't run sand in your fuge just the LR rubble and Cheato. Just move that wall up and leave about 1-1.5" at the bottom open.

ok i redid my design a little bit the way hcsceo mentioned i moved to baffle up so the water travels under and also added a small baffle in order to keep cheato and lr rubble out.

also i read your (hcsceo's) thread and made my slits 1.5 inchs insted of inch

20gallonlong.png

also i have plexi glass will this be ok if not what will be and also if i use plexi glass will it be ok to spray paint the inside of it black ?

Looks great. I think that is a good start. On those slits it's a funny thing as they are really designed for each tank and fuge design. You can always go longer and put up a dam in front so that you can adjust it to the proper height. How wide of will the return pump area be? It looks like 6 inches deep and maybe 3-4 inches wide? I think you have a great plan going can't wait to see it when it's done.

Plexi is fine I used 1/8" on mine. I actually ordered gloss black plexi from ebay. $11 bought enough to do two tanks and that included shipping. I used clear plexi between the fuge and return pump area only cause I had some at the house.

Steve

20gallonlongAIO2.png

20gallonlongAIO1.png

here are some more measurements as of now for you. hcsceo the measurements of the return pump area are 3inch wide 6inch long and 13 deep.

Now that you bring it up do you think that the pump area should be any wider?? maybe its fine because it still is 6inchs long i should have penty of room for equipment

also couple other things im thinking about

1 when the tank water evaporates both the fuge and the return pump area water levels will drop wont this be an issue?? maybe the fuge water should need to fall over a baffle(not under) so the fuge level always stays the same.

Hmmm i need some help with this please

2 is the mechanical filter box area to big (4in x4in) i think 4inch x 2inch would be sufficent enough because the water overflowing will really only reach the front 1in-2in, leaving the back 2inchs useless

3 (by the way 3ftx4ft sheet we have is extruded acrylic medium strength 1/8in not plexiglass my fult)

i would like the acrylic that will be seen from the display to be black. so will i be ok to paint the back side (the filter side) of the acrylic black with krylon fusion and still be able to silcone in the baffles?

one last thing as i said before i need to sell some stuff before i start this tank.

sorry nano-reef if this is not allowed (i will delete this part if you want me too)

im just mentioning this

i need to sell my 45 gallon cichlid tank

so anybody need a

36in x 12in x 24in AGA with light and hood

6 african cichlid adult sized

2 horse mini bike(runs like a charm)

20gallonlongAIO2.png

20gallonlongAIO1.png

here are some more measurements as of now for you. hcsceo the measurements of the return pump area are 3inch wide 6inch long and 13 deep.

Now that you bring it up do you think that the pump area should be any wider?? maybe its fine because it still is 6inchs long i should have penty of room for equipment

also couple other things im thinking about

1 when the tank water evaporates both the fuge and the return pump area water levels will drop wont this be an issue?? maybe the fuge water should need to fall over a baffle(not under) so the fuge level always stays the same.

Hmmm i need some help with this please

2 is the mechanical filter box area to big (4in x4in) i think 4inch x 2inch would be sufficent enough because the water overflowing will really only reach the front 1in-2in, leaving the back 2inchs useless

3 (by the way 3ftx4ft sheet we have is extruded acrylic medium strength 1/8in not plexiglass my fult)

i would like the acrylic that will be seen from the display to be black. so will i be ok to paint the back side (the filter side) of the acrylic black with krylon fusion and still be able to silcone in the baffles?

one last thing as i said before i need to sell some stuff before i start this tank.

sorry nano-reef if this is not allowed (i will delete this part if you want me too)

im just mentioning this

i need to sell my 45 gallon cichlid tank

so anybody need a

36in x 12in x 24in AGA with light and hood

6 african cichlid adult sized

2 horse mini bike(runs like a charm)

1. Yes when the tank water evaps it will go down in both the fuge and the return pump area. This is normal and all AIO's have this issue if it incorporates a surface skimmer. I wouldn't worry about it as this is normal and you will be doing daily top offs anyway. I don't think it will go down more than an inch a day.

2. My guess is that you are going to use filter floss in this area. IDK if it matters if it is 2" deep or 4" deep. Doesn't seem like it would make a difference. I think the depth of it would make more of a difference as you could put more filter floss or perhaps carbon, chemipure, etc.

3. I would glue the baffles first with weldon as it will bond the two together not requiring any silicon. Then paint it all black from the inside and then install it.

As far as your aquarium stuff post it in the hardware classifieds as people will see it. Hope this helps.

Steve

ok thanks sounds like a plan i think im ready to start. i found a light on ebay pfo se 175 watt metal halide pendent with balast and 5 bulbs that im going to bid on tonight wish me luck. fingerscrossed

then i need to buy a 20long and a 1200 maxijet

oh and one last question do you think i should put the maxi jet directly in the false wall or use a bulk head type setup with the pump on the bottom and a tube to connect the too??

im leaning more towards the direct way

Wow~

You two really plan your tanks well! I'm sure this will look equally great! (wishing you luck on lights!)

Tagging along...

Dave A.

thanks

well i want to get this one right i have had many tanks before and i always say "i wish i had done this ..." a month or two later.haha figures

i just hope my craftsman ship holds up to my design.

i also told myself to listen to others mistakes and buy the best equipment i can insted of upgrading later and wasting money

I really need the luck people are biding and its gone up

thanks

I WON!!! YAA wot wot :happydance: lol i think i got a great deal. lol i had to stay up until 2 in the morning and i wasn't going to lose

YA!!!!!!

ok i go sleep now ZZZZZZ

ok so the stand i plan on using i found in the basement its a regular 31 x 13 x 24 wood aquarium stand.

the only thing is i dont like it only being 24inchs tall. i dont want to have to get on my knees to look at the tank.

so i dont want to build a whole new stand and let this one go to waste

so im going to build 8 inch shelf on the top bosting up the tank to 32inch which i can deal with.

after im going to paint it black

heres the pictures

100_3721.jpg

100_3725.jpg

you can kinda get the idea of what i plan on doing

Anyone out there oh well

well i worked on the stand today i changed my plans and instead i made an 7inch base for the stand to sit on since we had left over 2x7s it was free which is always good.

i started painting but i ran out we will pick some more up tonight so i can finish.

well heres some pictures since no thread is good without them.

100_3730.jpg

100_3737.jpg

100_3739.jpg

i made some l molding pieces to make it look better(hopefully)

100_3738.jpg

100_3740.jpg

100_3741.jpg

100_3742.jpg

100_3743.jpg

100_3744.jpg

100_3746.jpg

100_3750.jpg

heres the worst part of wood working

100_3752.jpg

I'm glad you went with the base instead of adding to the top. Looks really nice. As far as the weldon you will have to order it online. What did you get the 175 MH for?

Steve

thanks

my dad says we have the stuff used for pvc. that should be ok right?

i paid little more for the light then i wanted but then again i would have ended up paying 2x that for something not as nice.

so i ended up paying $152shipped and all, it should be here soon or sometime next week. it came with pendent, balast and 4, 2month old SE bulbs. 1-10k, 2-14k and 1-20k.

i think it was a great deal just the pendent and balast together go for $350 not including bulbs

IDK what is in the pvc glue and whether it is toxic to your tank or not. Maybe someone can chime in. I used good old fashioned superglue and it's holding well and is reefsafe. That light should work great for your tank. It'll be cool to be able to take pics under different lighting. Udate pics when you get the lighting in I'm curious to see it.

Steve

I just used the regular stuff not the gel. I made a jig out of a 2x4 that would allow me to put the plexi at a 90 to the back panel. I also cut out a 45 degree angle at the bottom of the wood where the glue joint is so that the glue wouldn't stick to the wood. Then I ran a bead of glue down the edge of the plexi I was going to attach and stuck it on there using the 2x4 to line it all up and keep it straight. It took less than a minute for it to setup. I'd practice with a couple of peices of scrap first. Once it was completely dry I also added silicon to both sides at the joint. IDK if that was neccessary at all but I did it.

Steve

ok so yesterday i looked around for a tank and maxi jet and came home with nothing. i found the tank but i decided to see if i could find it for cheaper but no and my lfs caribbean forest wanted $32 for the 1200 maxi jet

so i decided to order all the equipment online at marine depot i didn't order the tank for obvious reasons but i may go get the tank tonight

also my light should come today yay

ITS HERE, ITS HERE ITS REALLY HERE :lol:

My light arived this afternoon!

wow i was amazed bye this thing its huge.

14x11x5.5 inchs wow

it will just barely fit the tank

i have never seen one in person before so i didn't even imagine it this big.

the bulbs are just as amazingly huge.

i have yet to fire it up because i have no idea how hot it will get.

the only thing is all the bulbs seem to say 10000k so im a bit confused there were suppose to be 1-10k, 2-14k and a 20k

i will email the guy later

also how should i hang the light or should i build a canopy out of would and some how attach it there can someone guide/explain how to build a canopy? thanks

here arre some pictures

100_3809.jpg

100_3803.jpg

100_3798.jpg

100_3797.jpg

100_3794.jpg

100_3793.jpg

100_3789.jpg

100_3788.jpg

100_3787.jpg

also this will be my fuge light

100_3785.jpg

100_3783.jpg

from that to this with new bulbs wow what a difference

100_3782.jpg

100_3781.jpg

Also one more thing im stuck as to how to postion the tank i would really like the tank to be viewable from the long sides like this

100_3775.jpg

but its not level so i need to make it level

but on the other hand i could also put it flat against the wall but then you would see the filter area but its pretty level already

100_3780.jpg

what does everyone think ?

either way im most likely going to set it up long ways like i planed to all along. but i would like to here others thoughts and opinions

thanks

cool looks like things are moving along. I think if it is possible you should hang that light. It is going to get real hot. canopy building is easy just build a box that will fit OVER the tank and strip 1x2 on the inside so that it rests on the top of the tank and have a piece of tempered glass cut to fit above the 1x2. you should design it so that most of the back is open and I would say make sure the light mounts so that the bulb is 12 inches from the top of the tank. then you need to consider air flow in the hood. I mount a fan at each end of the hood and have one blow in and one out. But honestly you should hang it as it is much easier to start with ans you can go back and build the hood later if you want

steve

Archived