Coral Vue Hydros

Ska's Blue 28

skabooya

Hey,

My tank came in so, like i promised i am starting a new thread in the members section. Updates will be posted on this main page as well as in the thread itself to allow for quicker viewing and commenting.

Specs will also be on this page as well as other imperitive information.

Past thread leading up to this one: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...14&hl=30gal

Purchased

Tank: 28gal 36x12x15" or 92x30x38cm total cost: $135

Ebay order: Hagen Glo Light fixture 36" 2x39 T5 HO Total cost: $144.96

Progressive Reef order: ATI blue+, ATI aquablue special: $83.68

Orders from JLA: OA Test Kit $54.95

Fiji Pink Substrate 20lbs $32.65

Coral Frenzy Food 56g $27.95

Hydor K1 $31.95

Hydor K2 $39.95

IO Salt 50gal $16.45

Sm Proscraper $5.55

NL All purpose food 80g $7.45

Seachem Reef Plus 500ml $10.55

Seachem Trace 500ml $10.55

Ebo Jagger 100watt heater $27.95

Tunze 9002 PS $179.85

Vertex Refractometer $49.95

JLA Total:$587.66

Bulk Reef Supply Order: 25lbs Eco Rox with shipping etc

Bulk Reef Supply Total: $114.13

Running Total: $1065.43

Yet to get:

Gloves

I have an Aqua Clear 30 filter to use for polyfiber, carbon, etc for whenever i need it

2 buckets with lids (one for salt water premix storage and one for FW top offs)

Tile, bowl, blades, frag plugs, superglue gel, goggles, hand gloves, tweezers, veil, etc for trimming and fragging

I want to do a blue theme A warm cool theme if you will. I would like blue corals as the majority or corals with a majority of blue in them. I want peaceful corals that can touch eachother. I do however want a centerpiece coral that is bright pink on the verge of going red. Im still researching as to what will satisfy that part.

The fish will be 2 true percs. I want to stick with softies if i can. I dont want to worry about calcium or heavy feedings.

Corals i would LOVE to have would be

ice blue cloves

rics with blue on them

blue zoas and other bright zoas

blue mushrooms

Fan worms (love them)

pulsing Xeina the one that looks two toned. Mainly pink but the veins look to be silvery in colour (not the blue xenia... i need to find a pic of this one)

Red Blasto or Red and Purple Blasto or Acan

Galaxy coral instead of a RBTA?

Hammer coral (branch because its easier to frag)

Frogspawn? although i see lots that are pretty dull in colour.

28gal004.jpg

AcroporaLokani

Looks like it would make a great reef, for the gloves you should just go to walmart in there bandage section they have powder free vinyl gloves (thats what I use) just easier that having to look for long gloves. And the coral that you listed im sure would thrive in your tank with the lighting your planning to get.

• 2 weeks later...

I love long tanks. I don't know what I was thinking picking up that 20T :rolleyes: Your list looks pretty good to me. Maybe add razor blades (with a long Craftsman handle) and a turkey baster. Greatest tools ever. :P

• 2 months later...

Well after spending $1000+ on bookshelves for my office ive been saving up from scratch. Currently i have $475 saved up. I need about $1200 to get this baby started... not including the cost for any livestock at all. Sheesh. What should i buy first the light or the Dead rock?. Im gonna seed the LR so it forces me to take everything slow.... that and its a heck of a lot cheaper than LR.

My dad in law is making me a fish tank stand... although its been a few months. Im hoping i get it as a christmas present :)

• 2 months later...

Update: ... not really much to update other than to let people know im still here. Ive saved up about 525 know.. shesh this is gonna take me forever. The majority of the cash is going into our Newfoundland trip for this summer (family reunion on my hubbys side). My budget is $1200. I went to check out the prices today to see if prices changed... YUP! Everything went up by a lot. My tank costs just for setups are now and extra $200 total. WTF!!! And that doesnt include corals or fish. You have no idea how much it upsets me.

But anyway i managed to shave off $100 for a total of $1018.88 approximately which leaves me about $150 for coral and fish. Yikes.

Heres my new list of what to buy (but im not happy about the price increases for any of them)

Test Kit

20lbs Fiji pink substrate

HK1

HK2

50lbs Instant Ocean Salt (From the original 160gal mix)

100w Ebo Jagger heater

12inch proscraper (from original 24inch)

Tunze Protein Skimmer

Refractometer

Ocean Nutrition small pellets (from other more expensive brand)

Nova Extreme T5 HO 4x39 (price went up on this by a lot)

22lbs dead Rock from bulk reef supply

Corals I really want are:

Ice blue cloves, blue zoas or zoas with blue in them (maily light blue so they are easier to see), some pink zoas for contrast, Gemini Palys (because im a gemini :) ), Blue shrooms, Blue rics and rics with blue in them, pulsing xenia (the one that looks like it has a blue stripe going through its main stalks and fingers), Something that will move in the current like a hammer or elegance coral <puurrrddyy, and something that is freaky coloured like WOW possible acan or blasto.

Livestock:

2 true percs and possibly a coral beauty (my fav fish)

CUC snails and hermies and cleaner shrimp maybe.

A $200 increase in store prices made a lot of what I want unreachable, stupid economy or canadian/US doller thingie, whatever is ruining my plans BOOOO!!!

• 2 months later...

WOOO an advancement!!! I bought my lightfixture. I had to get something cheap but good. I could no longer go with the nova extreme I originally wanted because of cost and the lesser nova extreme 2x39 was not HO and after reading many reviews, very cheaply made (broken bulbs, etc) AND when compared to the hagen glo was basically crapola.

So, I purchased the Hagen Glo 2x39 HO T5 36" model.

I would like to get geismann bulbs to put into it but what combo would be best for my future corals. I want their colours to really shine and i want them to be super healthy too.

I know under 2x39 T5 HO i can keep softies

My list includes: rics, zoas, cloves, shrooms, xenia, and possibly devils hand leather with green polyps.

I know i can keep some lps

My list includes:

hammer, frogspawn.

My second question (1st was about bulb combo) is what other Lps can I keep should I want any? Some people say brain, plate coral, acan, and blasto. Some also say you can keep sps under those lights (I dont think so) but suggestions were pink birdsnest, and monti.

I would like to get the list straightened out so I know what my limits are.

Thanks in advance.

thanks wimby.

Im still confused though because those bulb combos are for 4+ fixtures. Mine is only a 2 bulb fixture so its hard to pick.

Im looking at the Giesmann bulbs and my choices from JLAquatics.com are:

Powerchrome - Midday (6000K)

" - Aquablue+ (15000K)

" - Actinic+ (2200K)

" - Pure Actinic (421nm)

I want a blue look where the corals really pop. But I want them to grow. I dont really like the pinky look. I actually like Travis' tank with his blue light look but im wondering for myself if it is too blue. But something similar would be nice.

HELP!!!!

I have in my lights fro ATI

blue +

procolor

aquablue

fiji pink --KZ

blue+

kinda blue but not too much

basement013a.jpg

looks more blue in the pic . I also believe the ati's have more par then geisman and the blue will give your colors more pop then the actinics

Thanks Wimby, Your tank looks really nice.

Because I have only 2 bulbs my choices are pretty limited. I saw another members tank (30 breeder) Which I fell in love with and would ultimately be very similar to mine. He had a 4 bulb fixture but only used two kinds of bulbs.

So I found where to get ATI bulbs in Canada and Im going with 1 Blue+ and 1 Aquablue Special. The shipping is deadly though and my total cost of the bulbs from there to my door will be $103.... Almost as much as my fixture itself LMAO.

Wow thats alot of money Thats what i paid for 5 bulbs. No one has them closer Andthanks on my tank i'll be moving that to a 55 soon

Alright so the shipping ended up being less than thought because I had a choice of shipping methods. Obdviously I chose one that would be cheaper. Totals at the top YAY:)

Do you ever go to your local fragswaps? You can always find used equipment/dead rock and other goodies there for pretty cheap. Also don't be afraid to post wanted ads in your local newspaper. People are willing to give stuff away for good prices because of the economy. I know it's hard for you to get stuff shipped because of outrageous shipping costs from the US.

mushroom head

Where I live there is only 2 or 3 reefers. We dont have a LFS, just a pet store, no fish. Its so hard to get stuff here.

mushroom head you got it right. I live in a small town and we dont have many reefers... actually I dont know any other than my lfs but that doesnt really count lol. The closest fragswap is in Vancouver and thats an expensive plane ride away. My only option is really online... unless i can get lucky.

The tank dimensions are LxWxH so 36" Long, 12" Wide and 15" High

Because of the depth Im assuming the most demanding corals i can keep are LPS in the middle to higher levels of the tank although ive been told i can keep a monti but i dont want too. Acan would be nice enough as well as a hammer and frogspawn.

mushroom head you got it right. I live in a small town and we dont have many reefers... actually I dont know any other than my lfs but that doesnt really count lol. The closest fragswap is in Vancouver and thats an expensive plane ride away. My only option is really online... unless i can get lucky.

The tank dimensions are LxWxH so 36" Long, 12" Wide and 15" High

Because of the depth Im assuming the most demanding corals i can keep are LPS in the middle to higher levels of the tank although ive been told i can keep a monti but i dont want too. Acan would be nice enough as well as a hammer and frogspawn.

I've had low - light sps in my tank (plating monti's and birdsnest) in my tank for almost 8 months or so and I've had spectacular growth. I only have PC lighting - 80w. You should be fine with any lps anywhere in your tank

I have tons of softies in my 30gl with pc lighting. The tank is an inch taller then yours everything is blooming nicely that tank is in my avitar

oOOO cool, thanks. Options options options :) Means i can keep whatever i want i guess since im not fussy about sps other than the pink birdsnest and monti but if i didnt have those i wouldnt cry.

Im more interested in softies anyway so good to know they will be just fine :)

So wait.... does this mean i can keep a nem?

oOOO cool, thanks. Options options options :) Means i can keep whatever i want i guess since im not fussy about sps other than the pink birdsnest and monti but if i didnt have those i wouldnt cry.

Im more interested in softies anyway so good to know they will be just fine :)

So wait.... does this mean i can keep a nem?

Since it's a high output fixture then maybe. I've seen people keep nems in lesser lighting than yours. It might wonder though so I'd think twice if you cherish your other corals. lol. You could probably keep a clam if you wanted.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I know this project is going very slowly. I was waiting until I got back from Newfoundland to get started. Well I had to come back early for a family emergency. My dad was very sick in the hospital with Lung cancer. It was a surprise to us all. I spend 25 hours with him before he passed away. Im still not over it as it just happened July 6. But I realize more than ever that life is short and you never know when you will go so I just spent the money and bought everything I need for my salty tank today. The stand still needs to be built and who knows when that will be done now. My grandfather has now also become very ill so who knows. Its been an awful month and I need a little happiness in my life about now. Im hoping the start of this tank will help.

I hear ya on the life is short My father passed from a heart attack in June. It really sucks I am not over yet either don't think I will ever be . Take your time with the tank I have put my 75 on hold for awhile. I need to take care of other bussiness first . First thing is taking care of my mother making sure she can handle the bills and not having my father around.

Archived