Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zeolite Probiotic Method

ojrules

I'm just putting this here to encourage other reefers to take the same method i did.. It's a mthod using zeolite stones, bacteria, and bacteria food...

(all products are from fauna marin)

I use the bare basics:

zeolite stones £15 , that i just leave in my canister filter

1 Bottle of bacteria £30 ... it will last you a very , very long time

1 bottle of "ultra bak" aka bacteria food £15.... that will last a good year and a half , tho not as long as the bacteria..

I dose every night, 1 drop of bacteria, 0.2 ml of bak food, straight into the tank...

Measured digitally with a cool light thing i borrowed, the nitrate result was below 1.. thats all the machine measured to , so the actual value below 1 is likely to be incorrect....

This is when you consider that i had ( at its peak), about a year ago 100 nitrates, and i was doing a good 25% change every week or 2 ....

Admitadly it wasnt the method that brought it down from 100, i had things that were producing these nitrates, namely bioballs etc, and a dying colony of zoanthids, but the method is deffinately good at keeping the levels very low, and once nitrates are down, phosphates will begin to drop..

I think this is abrilliant method especially for nano reefers, because you use so little of the supplements, that it is a very cheap method.. There are cheaper method like the "prodibio" mthod , and it gives the same results.... Also the bacteria release a mulm type thing, which apparenlty is greta food for corals, though to obtain this , the stones need to be moved around, aka opening your filter and swishing them around, or buying a rather expensive zeolite reactor... Though this is not necesary for obtainign very low nitrates..

I do have some good links, and once i find them i'l post them up here...

• 2 weeks later...

I am just starting to get back into reading forums as i have been so busy with other things in my life, but i have seen several references to 'zeo' so i am off to check it out...i have had a 72gl for almost 6 years and even with water changes, sump etc etc, i never have 0 nitrates =( My 6gl cube is 3yo and nitrates are always 0...and when they creep up, a water change brings it back to 0...not so with my older 72gl...anyway..thanks for the info on the zeo!

hmm i'l have a peek around, and see if i can find another link that does work...

Here we go had a peek around...

A good introduction worth reading:

http://www.ultimatereef.net/files/2007Q1/L...ntroduction.pdf

Table of additaves:

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210799

Dedicated forum section:

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=320

SeeDemTails

Shouldnt a normal tank run with undectable nitrates to begin with?

I dont use anything like that, just a skimmer and some good flow. I dont see how I could get any fasert growth or more color out of my sps!

Archived