ReefCleaners.org

I want to build a stand for my 75 out of 1x4's to be as light as possible..

The Propagator

The Propagator

Can it be done following this design ?

I am planning on pilot drilling all holes and using wood glue on all meeting surfaces.

I just need it to hold the tank. I am not going to finish it or anyhting fancy.

Its just another frag tank I will be combining a couple smaller ones into.

I had planned on using pine 1x4's from Home depot, 1 3/4" screws, and a good wood glue.

The tank is heavy enouhg as is empty. I want it to be as easy on my self as possible so I want this stand light weight and sturdy so I can move it easily by my self.

I over built the shiat out of the stand for my 100g frag system and it takes two people to move just the stand ! :(

I want to avoid that with this one all together :haha:

basicstanddesign.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

Yeah I was gonna put another on the bottom box frame but none in the middle running from top to bottom.

Think it will be ok like that ? Open with no center support from top to bottom?

well crap. I see you cant link images from RC. Nice.

The Propagator

Ok so I went ahead and built my stand from 1x4's for my 75g.

Its half way done now. I have the bottom finished with supports attached, and the top finished waiting to go on tomorrow.

Instead of the full screw strip I used 8 6" long 1x4" cut offs. Glued the hell out of them and then used 1 5/8" barbed finish nails while they were clamped. So far so good seems sturdy as hell. I used 1 5/8" barbed finish nails and glued all joints throughout.

Screws just split 1x4's wide open. even small ones.

I am going to use 1/4" finish grade ply to skin it. Then sand and fill it, stain it, sand, poly it, sand with note book paper, then polyp and sand with the note book paper to more times.

The inside will be a couple 3 coats of all weather primer.

I have about $21 bucks in it right now. When I am finished I think I'll have about $45.00 in it LOL !!

With out the 1/4" skin I bet this stand doesn't weigh much more then 30lbs. with it I bet its around 50 max.

Which will RAWK ! Because I have to position the tank and stand on my own

glennr1978
Ok so I went ahead and built my stand from 1x4's for my 75g.

Its half way done now. I have the bottom finished with supports attached, and the top finished waiting to go on tomorrow.

Instead of the full screw strip I used 8 6" long 1x4" cut offs. Glued the hell out of them and then used 1 5/8" barbed finish nails while they were clamped. So far so good seems sturdy as hell. I used 1 5/8" barbed finish nails and glued all joints throughout.

I am going to use 1/4" finish grade ply to skin it. Then sand and fill it, stain it, sand, poly it, sand with note book paper, then polyp and sand with the note book paper to more times.

The inside will be a couple 3 coats of all weather primer.

I have about $21 bucks in it right now. When I am finished I think I'll have about $45.00 in it LOL !!

With out the 1/4" skin I bet this stand doesn't weigh much more then 30lbs. with it I bet its around 50 max.

Which will RAWK ! Because I have to position the tank and stand on my own

pics or you're full o shiat.

The Propagator

Be up tomorrow.

I dont mess around jack. I got the wood, 36" clamps, and a 10" compound miter all in one day and Got'er done baby ! All but the final assembly any way.

Have to skin it still though. Well I am unsure actually.

Oh hey .. I am getting the new Coral Vue 6x54 watt 48" fixture with moon lights in the next two weeks to go over this bad boy ! I called nixs on the fishneedit lights because of the single reflector. I fit was a shallow tank I would say the hell with it though. Thats whats going on my 40B next actually.

The Propagator

Not on this one. But no what you mention it I may go back and buy some more 1x's and dog leg this biatch !

Glued the hell out of them and then used 1 5/8" barbed finish nails while they were clamped. So far so good seems sturdy as hell. I used 1 5/8" barbed finish nails and glued all joints throughout.

not familiar with those nails but aint they too long? a 1x4 is actually .75x3.5 so on the thin edge doubled up is 1.5"

The stand I made for my 29g is 1x4's. I used 6x1 wood screws (pre-drilled) and its very strong. no splitting problems either.

Oh yea, wood glue is a must!! :)

The Propagator

Thickness changes from batch to batch like the wind brother. I just happen to get a thick run thats actually closer to 1" .

So I got it all together but left the camera at my monster in laws house. ( the photo thats not working is not of my stand. Its of a plan for the stand. Also its not my upload I linked it. )

I got her put together. Nailed, glued and tattooed. I also go tit puttied up for a sanding and painting tomorrow afternoon. I am going with black I think.

I PROMISE glenn pics tomorrow :)

glennr1978
Thickness changes from batch to batch like the wind brother. I just happen to get a thick run thats actually closer to 1" .

So I got it all together but left the camera at my monster in laws house. ( the photo thats not working is not of my stand. Its of a plan for the stand. Also its not my upload I linked it. )

I got her put together. Nailed, glued and tattooed. I also go tit puttied up for a sanding and painting tomorrow afternoon. I am going with black I think.

I PROMISE glenn pics tomorrow :)

famous last words ;) .......

If you glue the plywood skin on, everywhere you can, instead of only tacking it on, that will strengthen it immensely. Then you won't need any kind of "dog legs" or gussets or any other kind of corner bracing. Even if you glue just one full end and one full side (like, say, the back) in place, that does the trick. It's all geometry.

You might wanna consider something lighter than 1/4" plywood, too. That's kinda heavy... Maybe luan panels?

The Propagator

Actually Mud I just looked at Luan yesterday :lol:

( Mind reader ! get out of my head !! )

Its not nearly as flimsy as 1/4" ply. and lay perfectly flat.

I think what I will do is go out and put ALL of my weight right in the middle then have my wife shove one side of the stand a little to see how much give it has. If its horrible I'll skin it. But I wouldn't be skinning the entire back or anything. I would be skinning only over top of the skeleton ( front back and sides). Cutting out the back completely and the front and the sides. Slapping doors with European hinges on here and making a door on each end. ( I HATE being all cramped up when I am under there with no light, and not way to get anything in and out easily.)

Hell when I post it tonight you'll see what I mean. this thing is so light I can pick it up with one hand and hold it there all freak'n day ! In fact my wife too a pic of me standing there holding it :lol:

Its strong too. I just have to hope its 900 lb strong ! :o

[quote name='The Propagator' 'J

1x4 lumber to frame stand for tank

1/4" skins to cover frame $23

75 gallons of water / fish / coral / and glass flooding down the hallway - PRICELESS!!!!!

bucknellreefer
I think what I will do is go out and put ALL of my weight right in the middle then have my wife shove one side of the stand a little to see how much give it has.

I want a video of this! :D

Edit: yes, I am hoping that it's a catastrophic failure, don't hate me!

HecticDialectics

Most DIY stands imo are way overbuilt. :X

I woulda at least used screws though :lol: You just gotta drill pilot holes

The Propagator

Cant do it man.

I tried drilling pilot holes. The stuff was too dry. split and ruined the 1st piece I cut drilled and screwed.

I'll test it real good long before my tank even see's it fellas. I'm not retarded.

If I see and cracks, or hear any stress I'll just rebuild it out of treated 1x 4's. ( MUCH stronger and you can drill and screw it)

Hell I only have about $20 something and change in this its not like It will break the bank if I have to buy more. :D treated is $0.80 a foot though. I would need 7x 8 footers again....( already have the screws and glue )

$44.80 is right around the cost of rebuilding with the treated I think.

Then $14.00 for a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" Luan so $62.80 total I guess for the new if needed. combined with the failed attempt ( if it fails ) say $23.00 $85.80.

Most people have that in wood alone for their 1st attempt so I am not to worried about having to do it again if I do.

glennr1978
Cant do it man.

I tried drilling pilot holes. The stuff was too dry. split and ruined the 1st piece I cut drilled and screwed.

I'll test it real good long before my tank even see's it fellas. I'm not retarded.

If I see and cracks, or hear any stress I'll just rebuild it out of treated 1x 4's. ( MUCH stronger and you can drill and screw it) ell I only have about $20 something and change in this its not like It will break the bank if I have to buy more. :D

why waste money on something you can't screw in the first place??

The Propagator

I'm smart like that !

Nah I just wanted to see is if was possible in the 1st place remember. :slap:

That was the whole point of this stand. If I have to rebuild its no biggie. Its only about $23.00 waisted.

Hell a frag cost more then that and could die.

I'll test it real good 1st. If I need to rebuild then big whoop.

It will be easier the second time and cost me about $40 some thing more.

The Propagator

Stick this in your fuse box Glenn ! :D

All 1x4's and solid as a rock. I got on top of it (right in the middle of it in fact) bounced up and down a couple times, then put my feet at one end and my hands at the other and rocked back and forth to test it out pretty dang hard ( I weight 238lbs). Not even a creek or a bow. I inspected it afte rI got off it and not a thing. A ok. No Lucy goosey anywhere.

75gallonstand2008125.jpg

75gallonstand2008134.jpg

75gallonstand2008133.jpg

75gallonstand.jpg

75gallonstand2008135.jpg

Thats only the second coat of paint so bear with me here people it isn't gonna look all raggity like that when its done :lol: I'll lightly sand it after the final coat, tack it off with a damp towel then clear it with poly a couple times, and sand rub it down with note book paper. ( that puts a SUPER smooth finish on it )

I am going to use 2 pieces of laminated shelving cut to fit the bottom inside the stand, then I will slap some laminate trim on the edges where I cut to fit. I think I am also going to make a little shelf for a power station hanging from the top inside the stand. I'll be making two big ass door and will probably use rounded edge 1x4's running from top to bottom on the sides and fit them so they can be removed. I have been toying with the idea of fastening them from the inside so that the end of the stand actually frames it. know what I mean? so it looks like a picture frame with nothing in it.

glennr1978

Looks really good man!!

I've seen plenty of people with BBQ grills in the yard, but a microwave??? You sir, bring backyard cookin' to a whole new level!!

The Propagator

:haha:

Its broken. I am taking it to the recycle yard tomorrow along with a crap load of aluminum, and copper.

also taking most of the chit your looking at in that pics ( all but the stand ) to either good will or the dump.

been cleaning the attic, garage, and basement out ( thats my monster in laws house btw not mine. I have been slaving over there all week so I had to build my stand there in order to have time to even build the damn thing !).

Archived