Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Evil looking red'ish crab?! I CAUGHT HIM!

badbread

So I couldn't get a good picture of this evil looking little guy but I tried my best. You can sort of make out what he looks like. My drawing basically shows his colors and stuff.

Black tip claws, red on arms, red face and scary red eyes, black banded legs.

crabrender.jpg

I CAUGHT IT!!!

So, I'm chilling at home, the metal halides go off, the day lights go off, I turn off the moon lights pull out my red led light and wait and wait, and smoke a cigarette and wait, see him, miss, smoke another one, wait, wait, see him, wait for the right moment, WHAM!! Got him with my aquarium tweezer things...

Here is the little ####er.

DSC03152.JPG

Another shot of this little ####.

DSC03155.JPG

Next to a lighter so you get an idea of the size.

DSC03157.JPG

Underside of the little ####, looks like a female I think?

DSC03165.JPG

Making her new temporary home:

DSC03175.JPG

Her little home in the tank:

DSC03179.JPG

So going by a couple websites I'm going to guess this is an evil Xanthid crab? Did I spend hours red-lighting my tank for no reason?

lakshwadeep

You could ban it to a refugium. Some people say that "cup-shaped", as opposed to "pincer-shaped", claws indicate if it is a herbivore. However, you should just play it safe and put it somewhere else. It does look strange with the bloodshot eyes.

revaltion131
That's actually a pretty neat looking little crab

I agree, it's an awesome little guy. Definitly refugium-bound if it were in my tank.

I still have this little guy and don't have a sump to keep him in. I'd hate to freeze then flush him. Anyone want him?

I don't think it is a Xanthid crab, but definately not reefsafe. I don't know what it would cost to ship that little guy. If you don't have a sump, you could always take it to your lfs and trade it in. They may give you store credit for him. Keep us posted on what you do.:)

GrandpaFeathers

I want him!

i always accept crabs.

I hope you dont mind the only reason i wnt him is for a mantis shrimp though.

So an update for me? I stiiilllll want him!

Well I ended up bringing him to my LFS and he fed him to his triggers...

:(

Some lfs P$SS me off doing that kind of SH!$. There are always people out there that are looking for crabs like that for a species tank. I have mantis shrimp but I don't feed them my crabs that I have, even if they are not reef safe. I get them fiddler crabs and snails to help keep their rapts in shape. My 2 cents

Archived