Coral Vue Hydros

BioCube skimmer mod attempt

badbread

Here's my version of modding the Biocube skimmer.

First I bought one of these:

DSC03047.JPG

Then I popped off both end caps on the original skimmer and attached them to the gravel vac.

DSC03042.JPG

And a little before and after action.

DSC03045.JPG

Just hooked it up earlier today, I'll let you know how it works.

after u get it dialed in it will work MUCH better w/ the longer tube. now i get actual debris in the cub when before i didnt.

It's running really wet right now just like the unmodded one, I'm hoping with some tuning it will dry up a bit...

yea i was thinkin about adding a longer airstone too, see if that would help a bit. i had one but it was big bubbles not the micro ones so that didnt work so well.

So you used the stock air pump and air stone, and just make the body longer? Did you use the tube in stock length or did you trim it?

Details man, details!!! :rant:

1. Buy that gravel tube and disassemble (remove everything so you just have the tube)

2. Disassemble the original Biocube skimmer

a. The top of the original skimmer easily pops off with a little force, you can use the nub the suction cup sticks to against an edge (like your kitchen counter) and pull it down quickly

b. Do the same for the bottom end cap of the original BC skimmer

3. Take top and bottom caps from original skimmer and place on the gravel tube

4. Assemble, tune and there you have it.

5. Remove the floor and rails in chamber one, as said in other posts first remove the side rails in chamber one with a flat head screwdriver then remove the floor thing

Notes:

• Not sure if this will fit on a BC with the hood still on, I just went topless (calm down ladies) so length (hehe) was not a concern.

• I bought a new large Lee's limewood airstone and switched out my air pump with the one I was using for water changes. The new airstone had me worried at first as it didn't produce the tiny bubbles I was looking for but as it worked it got better.

• I think the airpump I swapped it out with is this one: http://www.aquariumguys.com/tetra-whisper60-air-pump.html

Whichever one it is, it is A LOT stronger than the stock one.

Has your skimmate gotten dryer? That was my big gripe with the stock one. It pulled crap out, but it was always very wet.

Has your skimmate gotten dryer? That was my big gripe with the stock one. It pulled crap out, but it was always very wet.

Hasn't become drier but definately darker. Still tuning water levels and air levels, etc.. I'll post how it all works out.

Getting a little drier but not even close to what I was hoping for, it does pull up much darker water but it is still running really wet. Will update again next week.

that whisper air pump loses power oever time. just FYI.

Good to know, what airpump should is solid?

I got the whisper for $5 at my LFS

Good to know, what airpump should is solid?

I got the whisper for $5 at my LFS

badbread,

I did the same mod awhile back using the same gravel vac but using this pump

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~Sea...dor~~tab~0.html

I've been getting the same results as you did, where the cup is filled w/tons of microbubbles. So much microbubbles that it would push the top cap of the cup off and into the tank. That's the problem i'm having right now, trying to have the microbubble convert back to liquid form (if that makes sense). For some reason it stays in that microbubble form and therefore push the cap off of my cup. Still trying to still fix the settings.

I too have the biocube lid off and trying to see if it's better to have the skimmer high w/strong air pressure from the pump or having the skimmer as low as it can go w/enough air pressure for the microbubbles to get between the skimmer and the cup.

And from what i know, it seems you have to use limewood airstones for these skimmers. Using any other type of material would have the bubbles too big. So it seems it doesn't matter what type of airstone it is as long as it's limewood. **Someone please correct me if i'm wrong**

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up an old post... but what is the best solution for this mod? I am not using the limewood. Instead of using the limewood, I use those long blue airstone tube. It is producing a lot of bubbles but I am not sure what kind of skimmate I should be getting.

Sorry to bring up an old post... but what is the best solution for this mod? I am not using the limewood. Instead of using the limewood, I use those long blue airstone tube. It is producing a lot of bubbles but I am not sure what kind of skimmate I should be getting.

In addition to the amount of bubbles it the size of the bubbles, i think the reason for using limewood. The only problem w/limewood is it goes bad afterwhile. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

In addition to the amount of bubbles it the size of the bubbles, i think the reason for using limewood. The only problem w/limewood is it goes bad afterwhile. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Yea the limewood goes bad. Mine stop producing microbubbles after a month. That is why i use the blue airstone tube. For the skimmate, are the bubbles suppose to drip out of the collection cup? Mine doesn't really pop. It seems as though it is some kind of dry bubble because the water level within the collection cup doesn't really fill up as fast. I don't really know how to explain it. I am setting up my skimmer right? Thanks a bunch for replying.

rockerpeller

having an air-pump with an adjustable output would help make the limewood last longer ie low setting for a new stone and as it clogs up, raise the air output from the airpump.

I use limewood, replace it monthly.

I to get lots of bubbles that never seem to pop in the collection cup but!!! be patient. Often times bubbles will come through the top of my collection cup and after the skimmer turns off for the night they settle down into a thick nasty sticky brown green nasty smelly thing.

Thanks for answering!!! I am going to adjust my skimmer again after buying a new airpump. I can't seem to get that bubble in the cup again. Boo!!! But now I know what to do. Thanks mate. By the way, why don't you try using the ceramic tube?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~act...es~vendor~.html

It produce a lot of microbubbles. In addition, it doesn't seem to clog as easy as the wood one. I am not sure thought. But you can buy a longer ceramic tube and cut it into smaller pieces to use. That way you can save yourself more money. The blue tube that I am using has been in my brother's fresh water tank for like 3-4 years. I am surprised that it still produces a lot of bubbles when I put it in my protein skimmer. Anyway good lucky!!!

• 1 month later...
Here's my version of modding the Biocube skimmer.

First I bought one of these:

DSC03047.JPG

Then I popped off both end caps on the original skimmer and attached them to the gravel vac.

DSC03042.JPG

And a little before and after action.

DSC03045.JPG

Just hooked it up earlier today, I'll let you know how it works.

how is this working out for you? I just did this mod to the skimmer...I've read that the longer the bubbles have contact with the water, the more they can pull out...maybe this is true? anyway, just curious how this has worked out for you overtime. And it is possible to do this mod with the hood, if fits perfectly! However if I was using a sunpod or other source of lighting..I would definitely go with a dremel tool and the tunze nano skimmer. I've seen that thing on a solara and it is a beast for nano's.

hey that is still pretty good results compared to stock. Expecially for a $30 skimmer with a $13 mod. I'm thinking I'm going to see another breakin period for the skimmer b/c of the new reaction chamber huh? I actually just decided to go open top. I might be getting the ol' dremmel out and buying a tunze, but we'll see how the new mod does for the next month or so.

air driven skimmer i think will always pull wet skim. better than nothing tho.at least you know you are pulling junk out of the water. just monitor the salinity and adjust accordingly.

question...is a wood airstone the same as all the different wood airstone...or theres actually different grads/quality? ie one produces a finer bubble than the other?

On topic but not really.. I purchased this same skimmer months ago and fumbled with it on several occasions. I couldn't get it to work properly or it was really quite and/or slow... Is this skimmer a slow and silent worker???? The pics above have motivated me to get it back out of the box and try to get it working. sorry for hijacking but I haven't seen anyone talk/write about this skimmer... I also remember seeing someone stuff this under the stock hood on the 29gallon successfully. If I find the link, I will post it… continue on....

Archived