Texan's 10G: UPDATE 9/16

irishtexan

irishtexan

***UPDATE on 9/16/08 page 4***

***UPDATE on 9/1/08 page 3***

***LIVESTOCK UPDATE 5/30 :SPS & Crocea Clams page 2***

Hello everyone! :happy:

Background Info:

I've always wanted a tank with MH lighting, and this was it. I started to plan for my 3rd tank to upgrade from my 8G BioCube to a 10G AGA w/ 70W MH lighting. The BioCube wasn't cutting it anymore, and I wanted to move on to more difficult things like SPS and clams. I also wanted to have it set up like a pennisula tank, so it can be viewed from the front, and I can see it when I am sitting at my desk.

Tank Specs:

Tank:10G AGA

Light:70W SunPod MH Fixture w/ mounting legs

Filtration/Circulation:Koralia Nano, and a Whisper In-tank filter

Dosing:

B-Ionic 2Part-2.5mL of each daily

Feeding:

Phyto-Once a week

Pellets-a small pinch in the morning

I feed the GBTA about once every 1-2 weeks in an effort to hopefully keep the growth fairly slow.

Livestock:

Corals:

Xenia

Anthelia

GSP

Pink/Green/Orange Pocillopora

Green Pocillopora(added 5/30)

Rainbow Birdsnest(added 5/30)

Acropora Gomezi(added 5/30)

Freebie Acro(added 5/30)

Pink/Green Tipped frogspawn(added 5/31)

Inverts:

GBTA clone-It was about 1 1/2in when I got it a few months ago, now its 2in

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

2 Crocea Clams(added 5/30)

Fish:

Oc. Clown

**Disclaimer!** I just bought a Canon Powershot S5 IS today so I am still getting used to the whole thing. Hints would be helpful!

Onto the pics!

There is a little bit of surface film but I have great flow so I don't know why.

Front:

IMG_0184.jpg

Side:

IMG_01872.jpg

Back(my favorite view):

IMG_0165.jpg

Comments welcomed!

-texx

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
singmealullaby

wow, love the tank Tex. Looks super clean. ;) When do you think you're gonna add some more sps and clams?

irishtexan

Thanks guys!

I'm a little anal about keeping it clean B)

singmealullaby-I will be placing an order with Fraggle Reef this Wednesday, and will have it on Friday. I am going to order a 2in Crocea clam, Green Pocillapora frag, and a purple birds nest. I'm also thinking about getting a neon pink milli, and a blue milli but I want to be able to grow everything out so I will have to decide.

From the pic my tank looks a little whiter than it actually is. Its a 14K Phoenix MH bulb. Hopefully I will get used to this new camera and get some better pics soon cause those don't due my tank justice.

-texx

irishtexan

Captain-Haha thanks. Aquascaping is so hard cause you want to get it just right. Im extremely happy with mine. Its hard to see from the pic, but in the large "mountain" there is a big cave in it and its all open in the middle.

irishtexan

I re-did the pics in the first post cause those pics sucked. So there are some better pics after messing around with the camera a little. The colors are alot closer to the real thing.

LMK what you think! :happy:

-texx

irishtexan

Some comments would be nice. :P

But I have a little issue. I'm going to be ordering from Fraggle Reef on Wed, but all their SPS frags are mounted on ugly frag plugs. Should I just let the frag encrust over it, or remove it some way? I HATE frag plugs and they stand out like no other!

Thanks!

-texx

irishtexan

^^For real!

Anyways, if you look at the side pic you can see the amount of flat space I have to work with for the SPS frags. I am thinking about adding 4 more small frags, but will that be too much and look cluttered? All the SPS will be on the bigger mountain.

Tips would be great!

-texx

irishtexan

Hello all! :)

I just placed my order with Fraggle Reef!!! B)

Hopefully it will be shipped out tomorrow and be here on Friday. Here is what I ordered:

Green Pocillopora frag

Green and Pink Tipped, Purple polyped Birdsnest frag

Acropora Gomezi frag

And last but not least, TWO 2"+ CROCEA CLAMS!!!

I got all that for $140 including shipping. Good deal?? The shipping was $40 bucks! :mellow:

I will definately be posting pics when everything opens up and stuff.

-texx

irishtexan

I know its gonna be flippin' sweet! I can't wait.

I was only planning on ordering 1 clam, but since they are only $19.99 I couldn't pass up the offer. And plus, I will still have 1 if 1 happens to die.

Dude,

I hate to tell you, but you are going to run into major problems... That BTA will over take that tank in a very short peroid of time. All the SPS and clams you just bought will get stung as the BTA grows and they will die.

Ben

irishtexan

Ben,

Thanks for the concern, but honestly im not worried about the BTA at all. Its still really small, and it seems to be growing at a slow rate. It must have really expanded the other day or something, because the anemone(not including tentacles) is only 2in. So it has a long way to go before it starts causing problems, and when it does, it will be removed.

Thanks for the concern though.

-texx

irishtexan

Lalani-Thanks for asking! Its still set up, but I switched everything to a 2.5G. Right now I have about 20 anemones that have been propagated by me. It seems to be doing great, and its so much fun.

My Fraggle Reef order was shipped out this morning at 11:00, and the estimated arrival time is 10:30! I can't wait! :D

irishtexan

My order came into today! :D It got here about 8:45 which is really early so they must have been ahead of schedule. I didn't get everything into the tank until about 10:30 cause I was being extra careful with the clams because I didnt want to lose one.

I will post pics tomorrow afternoon once I remove all the SPS frags from their plugs and glue them to the rock.

-texx

Archived